E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 328i N51 SULEV issues

05-07-2024, 11:29 AM   #1
Soeperman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

2007 328i N51 SULEV issues

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I got here because I searched for the issues on Google and landed to this forum but haven't found a possible answer yet.

Long story short, I'm hoping the group can help me. I just bought a used 2007 328i Coupe. 98k miles and 6spd Manual trans. I was dumb enough not to drive it around for a long period to fully test and inspect it before buying. Now I'm just looking to find the most economical way to get this thing fixed, in the best way. It is beyond the 15yrs SULEV warranty in CA.

Symptoms:
1. Cruising down the freeway, it would bottom out RPM, all lights on, speedometer still going, loss of power steering as well. I'd have to pull to the side safely, shut it off, then turn it back on which will get it back going. It is a loud clunk to turn it on.
2. Ticking sound from engine, louder when cold.
3. Misfires all cylinder.
4. When I accelerate hard, it hesitates a lot. Slowly accelerating in each gear is ok.
5. Has the lift indicator on the dash
6. Has service engine soon light.
7. Has brake light on always.
8. No visible oil leaks, coolant clear and no sludge in crank case that I can see.
9. No overheating.

I'm hoping the group can assist with this as I did run INPA and ISTA+.

Ive already taken the vanos solenoids out to inspect and clean it. Looks like previous owner just recently replaced them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 01:11 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeperman View Post
... 2007 328i Coupe...
Symptoms:
1. Cruising down the freeway, it would bottom out RPM, all lights on, speedometer still going, loss of power steering as
well. I'd have to pull to the side safely, shut it off, then turn it back on which will get it back going. It is a loud clunk to turn it on...
5. Has the lift indicator on the dash
6. Has service engine soon light.
7. Has brake light on always...
Welcome to the Forum!
Please answer the following questions & provide requested INPA ScreenPrints, and we can suggest "Next Steps".
See the attached pdf: "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" for HOW to attach ScreenPrints, & example INPA Screens.
The DME Variant/SGBD in your 2007 N51 SHOULD be MSV80. The "Functional Jobs > F2 Identification Screen will show that:

1) What are the Last-7 Characters of your VIN?
2) Please View, Save, Attach the INPA ScreenPrints:
a) INPA > Functional Jobs > F2 Identification, showing all communicating Modules;
b) INPA > Functional Jobs > F4 > F1 Error Memory, ALL Modules;
3) Please explain in MORE DETAIL the symptoms in your paragraph (1): What Lights are on? What causes P/S to fail?
Serpentine Belt Intact? P/S fluid level in Reservoir OK? WHERE does "loud clunk" come from on restart?
4) Your Intake Cam Position Sensor signal should be in range of 85 Degrees as opposed to 120 Degrees (Warm Engine
at 660 RPM Idle). Check the Connector & associated wiring at that sensor (NOT the VANOS Solenoid), but to
Vehicle Left of Solenoid. Also, your INPA VANOS Adaptations are "Off the Charts" & you have Fault Codes for
BOTH Intake & Exhaust Cam to Crankshaft correlation. Cam Timing is off, causing rough running & "Misfires".
5) If looking for something else to do before Reply:
a) INPA > DME (Engine | MSV80 for N51) > F4 > F3 Error Memory with Freeze Frame Data; view, save, attach
ALL Screens related to FF Data or Fault DETAILS for each DME Fault Code, ~ one screen per Fault Code. Google Translate:
https://translate.google.com/?sl=de&tl=en&op=translate

Since you have BOTH INPA & ISTA, we should be able to sort the issues. I have BOTH, but INPA gives better data
if you translate the German using Google Translate, so that's where I suggest starting.

George
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (591.1 KB, 0 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 02:13 PM   #3
Soeperman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Welcome to the Forum!
Please answer the following questions & provide requested INPA ScreenPrints, and we can suggest "Next Steps".
See the attached pdf: "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" for HOW to attach ScreenPrints, & example INPA Screens.
The DME Variant/SGBD in your 2007 N51 SHOULD be MSV80. The "Functional Jobs > F2 Identification Screen will show that:

1) What are the Last-7 Characters of your VIN?
2) Please View, Save, Attach the INPA ScreenPrints:
a) INPA > Functional Jobs > F2 Identification, showing all communicating Modules;
b) INPA > Functional Jobs > F4 > F1 Error Memory, ALL Modules;
3) Please explain in MORE DETAIL the symptoms in your paragraph (1): What Lights are on? What causes P/S to fail?
Serpentine Belt Intact? P/S fluid level in Reservoir OK? WHERE does "loud clunk" come from on restart?
4) Your Intake Cam Position Sensor signal should be in range of 85 Degrees as opposed to 120 Degrees (Warm Engine
at 660 RPM Idle). Check the Connector & associated wiring at that sensor (NOT the VANOS Solenoid), but to
Vehicle Left of Solenoid. Also, your INPA VANOS Adaptations are "Off the Charts" & you have Fault Codes for
BOTH Intake & Exhaust Cam to Crankshaft correlation. Cam Timing is off, causing rough running & "Misfires".
5) If looking for something else to do before Reply:
a) INPA > DME (Engine | MSV80 for N51) > F4 > F3 Error Memory with Freeze Frame Data; view, save, attach
ALL Screens related to FF Data or Fault DETAILS for each DME Fault Code, ~ one screen per Fault Code. Google Translate:
https://translate.google.com/?sl=de&tl=en&op=translate

Since you have BOTH INPA & ISTA, we should be able to sort the issues. I have BOTH, but INPA gives better data
if you translate the German using Google Translate, so that's where I suggest starting.

George
Thank you for the reply, I'll have to check once I get home and update.

Question I have, I have a family member who is a bmw tech but I'd have to drive 300+ miles to his shop. Is it safe to do so with timing being so off?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 04:57 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeperman View Post
... I have a family member who is a bmw tech but I'd have to drive 300+ miles to his shop. Is it safe to do so with timing being so off?
If he uses/ is familiar with either ISTA or INPA, why spend hours/ $$$ on gas, on road? Just send him the same screens I suggested to begin diagnosis. Either INPA or ISTA will allow you to view:
1) Fault Codes;
2) FF Data/ Fault Details;
3) Live Data;
4) Activations/Triggering.
5) ISTA will provide Test Plan, which is a "Flow Chart" approach to diagnostics.
6) If you have a Multimeter, we can test enough you WON'T have to throw Part$.

If he's computer savvy, he can even connect "Remotely" to your vehicle through his computer. OR have him log into Forum and advise.
George
Appreciate 0