F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > F30 335i staggered wheel
Extreme Powerhouse

03-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Nepal
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 335i M sport

F30 335i staggered wheel

Hi there, I am a newbie so please bear with me for some simple and stupid questions. I just ordered a 2013 335i M sport package with 18'' staggered tires. The car is somewhere on the water now and I can't wait!
Some questions that I can't find answers easily:

1. What's the real benefits for staggered tires except for look?
The reason I chose the staggered tires was because I THOUGHT that the wider rear tires will give me better traction, therefore better 0-60, handling, braking distance, etc. This was my guess. However lately after I did some google search the message become vague: seems like most people believe that this is just for the look?! So I guess my question is: does staggered tires really give better performance?

2. A lot of reviews claimed that F30 328i handles slightly better than 335i because of its perfect 50/50 weight dis. If this is true, do you guys think 335i with staggered tires can more or less offset it's less than perfect weight distribution? In another word, do you think 335i with staggered tires can handle the same (or better) as 328i with square tires?

Thanks for any inputs!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepal
Hi there, I am a newbie so please bear with me for some simple and stupid questions. I just ordered a 2013 335i M sport package with 18'' staggered tires. The car is somewhere on the water now and I can't wait!
Some questions that I can't find answers easily:

1. What's the real benefits for staggered tires except for look?
The reason I chose the staggered tires was because I THOUGHT that the wider rear tires will give me better traction, therefore better 0-60, handling, braking distance, etc. This was my guess. However lately after I did some google search the message become vague: seems like most people believe that this is just for the look?! So I guess my question is: does staggered tires really give better performance?

2. A lot of reviews claimed that F30 328i handles slightly better than 335i because of its perfect 50/50 weight dis. If this is true, do you guys think 335i with staggered tires can more or less offset it's less than perfect weight distribution? In another word, do you think 335i with staggered tires can handle the same (or better) as 328i with square tires?

Thanks for any inputs!
Staggered on the m sport comes with summer performance tires. So right there you have some performance gains over the all seasons.

My comment only applies to the snow belts, if in a place like Texas, you should get summer perf tires with the 18s.

Would be interesting to see the debate on staggered summer 19s vs square summer 18s

I have no idea on question 2

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

The 328 vs 335 handling advantage is due to 150lb weight advantage over the nose.
The staggered 19s weight increase will not affect weight balance but will increase unsprung weight as they are 10% heavier than the 18s.

The staggering is a toss up. The 335 needs the traction the wider tires provide. Staggering limits rotating options, can add a bit more unsprung weight. They also increase understeer which can be good for RWD noobs.

So they offer a good amount of positive and a small negative.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Nepal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Staggered on the m sport comes with summer performance tires. So right there you have some performance gains over the all seasons.
M sport package come with both summer tires and all season. I chose summer since I live in SolCa.
So performance gain just come from summer tires but not from staggered?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Nepal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
The 328 vs 335 handling advantage is due to 150lb weight advantage over the nose.
The staggered 19s weight increase will not affect weight balance but will increase unsprung weight as they are 10% heavier than the 18s.

The staggering is a toss up. The 335 needs the traction the wider tires provide. Staggering limits rotating options, can add a bit more unsprung weight. They also increase understeer which can be good for RWD noobs.

So they offer a good amount of positive and a small negative.
Thanks. My thought was with staggered tires (wider wheel and tires, 255 vs 225, 8.5 vs 8.0) the rear weight will be increased (how much I don't know), therefor more balanced. Not?
Besides weight balance, do you believe wider tires give you better 0-60 and braking distance?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepal View Post
M sport package come with both summer tires and all season. I chose summer since I live in SolCa.
So performance gain just come from summer tires but not from staggered?
No, summer will be better than A/S. Its up for debate whether the the staggered gives you more perf gains. I went with the theory that BMW engineers would not just do this for the sake of appearance, after all they are known for making the ultimate driving machine.

Make sure to get the Dynamic Handling Package, I have that with the 19s and makes the drive very comfortable in comfort and eco modes.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Nepal
Private
Rep

Quote:

Make sure to get the Dynamic Handling Package, I have that with the 19s and makes the drive very comfortable in comfort and eco modes.
Too late for this now!!
When I placed my order, I worked with my CA on my config. When I tried to select DHP for my 335i with M sport, the BMW website pop out a window said in order to select DHP I have to deselect M sport package or something. So I thought DHP was included in the M package already. My CA also gave me very misleading information and claimed VSS was standard on 335i. Anyway, I ended up without DHP.
I don't know what I can do now. I figure it would be extremely difficult to get DHP without bending over to dealer, if it's possible at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

Quote:
Too late for this now!!
When I placed my order, I worked with my CA on my config. When I tried to select DHP for my 335i with M sport, the BMW website pop out a window said in order to select DHP I have to deselect M sport package or something. So I thought DHP was included in the M package already. My CA also gave me very misleading information and claimed VSS was standard on 335i. Anyway, I ended up without DHP.
I don't know what I can do now. I figure it would be extremely difficult to get DHP without bending over to dealer, if it's possible at all.
The website told you you'd have to deselect the M Sport SUSPENSION, not the package. got me, too. But honestly, I'm very pleased with the M Sport suspension. If anything, I'll mod to something lower and more aggressive.

Oh, and one thing nobody in the U.S. seems to realize: taking the staggered set up with summer performance tires increases the speed governor to 155mph! That was enough for me to get the staggered 19's and just buy winter wheels!

(you can vary your own sport steering as well. just switch from sport to comfort as the situation requires) lol

good for all of you that got the extra few thousand worth of electronics. Honest question though, did anyone actually opt for the parking assistant? The one where it parallel parks itself? Seems like most buyers here love to drive, which would mean the ego would limit at the cameras.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepal
Quote:

Too late for this now!!
F'ng dealers, I got mine off the lot in a different state from mine, he emailed me the packages that were included and he specifically said HK was included. Turns out it was not that's one option I wish I had.

Your car will be good anyway. I test drove all flavors of the 335i you can't go wrong with any set up you get

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
Nepal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellerKiller View Post
The website told you you'd have to deselect the M Sport SUSPENSION, not the package. got me, too. But honestly, I'm very pleased with the M Sport suspension. If anything, I'll mod to something lower and more aggressive.

Oh, and one thing nobody in the U.S. seems to realize: taking the staggered set up with summer performance tires increases the speed governor to 155mph! That was enough for me to get the staggered 19's and just buy winter wheels!

(you can vary your own sport steering as well. just switch from sport to comfort as the situation requires) lol

good for all of you that got the extra few thousand worth of electronics. Honest question though, did anyone actually opt for the parking assistant? The one where it parallel parks itself? Seems like most buyers here love to drive, which would mean the ego would limit at the cameras.
So you also didn't get DHP? Shake hands!
Joke aside, do you know whether I can get DHP from dealer after I get my car?
BTW, you can just choose sportline with summer tires to bump up your speed limit. You don't really need staggering for it.
I did option for driver assistant package (cameras, warning, etc) but not on parking.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Nepal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Your car will be good anyway. I test drove all flavors of the 335i you can't go wrong with any set up you get
Thanks! I truly hope so.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. My thought was with staggered tires (wider wheel and tires, 255 vs 225, 8.5 vs 8.0) the rear weight will be increased (how much I don't know), therefor more balanced. Not?
Besides weight balance, do you believe wider tires give you better 0-60 and braking distance?
No, the rear weight is not increased with staggered vs non staggered. You are talking about half a pound per wheel on a 3500lb car. It increases unsprung weight which has a negative affect on handling and can hurt acceleration. But the pound or so of unsprung weight on a 300+ hp car is not very noticeable.

What you do get is 30mm more rear tire which is over an inch and also the added traction from summer tires. With your climate, the staggered summer tires are a no brainer. The summer tires also give you the higher 155mph top speed limit not that you will use it.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellerKiller
Quote:
Too late for this now!!

The only way to get a firmer suspension on the x drive models is with the DHP, the VSS within the package works great too.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #14
Nepal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
No, the rear weight is not increased with staggered vs non staggered. You are talking about half a pound per wheel on a 3500lb car. It increases unsprung weight which has a negative affect on handling and can hurt acceleration. But the pound or so of unsprung weight on a 300+ hp car is not very noticeable.

What you do get is 30mm more rear tire which is over an inch and also the added traction from summer tires. With your climate, the staggered summer tires are a no brainer. The summer tires also give you the higher 155mph top speed limit not that you will use it.
I see. I guess I just learned something like unsprung weight which quite make sense to me. I also didn't realize the weight difference is so small. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #15
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see. I guess I just learned something like unsprung weight which quite make sense to me. I also didn't realize the weight difference is so small. Thanks.
You have a 3500lb car, so 50/50 balance means each axle has 1750lbs over it. So staggering rear wheels and adding a pound each doesn't even affect it by 1%.

Unsprung weight is there, though its more of an issue on lower weight and lower torque cars. The 335 is a big heavy street car, its less affected. But when I switch to my 18lb 17" wheels and save 8-10lbs per corner, the car feels quicker and better handling. 1lb, not so much.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #16
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

Quote:
The only way to get a firmer suspension on the x drive models is with the DHP, the VSS within the package works great too.
I don't think either he nor I got the xdrive, but thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #17
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellerKiller
Quote:
I don't think either he nor I got the xdrive, but thanks!
Sunny California

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
schnell13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

While the 328, all things being equal, will handle well due to it's perfect 50/50 weight distribution, all things are not equal. The additional 60+hp, staggered fitment, and the optional dynamic handling package more than makes up for any discrepancies. The adaptive M suspension is fantastic, and the handling is simply sublime.

As far as staggered fitments go, yes, there are notable differences in traction and handling simply due to the wider contact patch. You only need to look at a 1978 Porsche 935 TT cup car pushing 950+ hp to see this. There was a reason that these cars had 16x19" (yes, that's 19" wide!!!) rear tires. This helped overcome a lack of traction control!
Individual Order 2013 335i M-Sport through BMW Military Sales / Mineral Grey / Coral Red / 4MR / ZMM / ZPP / ZTP / ZDH / 2TB / 494 / 688 / ///M Performance / ///M5 Blue Brakes / K&N / aFe / H&R / Turner Motorsports / SportLine Wheels / Details, details, details...
Appreciate 0