BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

02-08-2022, 03:43 PM   #1
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 228I XDrive GC

2022 228I XD, Pitted Headlights/Satin Trim Scratch

Hey everybody, so I traded in my 2019 Mini Cooper S on this beautiful 2022 BMW 228I X Dr. gran coupe in skyscraper gray metallic. It was a courtesy loaner so I got a really good deal. And the car is actually in rather good condition for being a courtesy loaner with 5300 miles, A few chips nothing major, one rim was curbed but they are going to fix it for free. However I have been detailing cars my whole life and while I’m not a professional I am very OCD, so while I love the car I am kind of regretting not getting a brand new one because it does have minor pitting of the windshield, and the headlight lenses, and then the scratch on the satin trim. And that new car smell which I know is carcinogenic supposedly is fading quick lol

Regardless the deal is done, I do however want to immediately put 3M wrap on the headlights, and the front bumper. The headlights have very minor pitting and I have never restored headlights on a nearly brand new car and I’m hesitant to sand it down even with fine grit but I really want the headlights to be as near perfect as possible before I put the 3M on. I just wanted an objective opinion as to if I should attempt to remove the pitting, I can use fine grit while wet sanding, and my porter cable to polish them up, or I could also use Mags Chrome and metal polish which is known to be effective at polishing headlights. Or Should I just Claybar them, and polish them up and put the 3M on?

Also there is a scratch on the drivers door satin aluminum or chrome molding, obviously I’m using a brand new iPad Pro camera so it looks bad close up, but it’s not too noticeable, and when you run your finger over it you can’t really feel it. I just wanted some suggestions as to polishing that satin trim piece as well👌

Thank you to whomever replies, also I have a BMW master friend of mine that is going to help me with some coding, we’re gonna attempt the adaptive cruise control retrofit and a few other things which I will detail. Looking forward to being a active member of this community👌🙏💯
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 05:00 PM   #2
j997tt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M DGM/SO

Nice looking car. I personally would not touch the lights. I think too easy to cause more damage than mitigate the underlying cause. But that’s me. I would just cover them with PPF and call it a day. The film will mask small pits. Buy some factory touch up paint, fill the chips in the bumper and do the PPF. If you have a ton of chips, try the Dr. Color Chip system. Works pretty good but I prefer the PITA factory paint because when done right it cannot be seen. As for your window trim, I would just buy a OE replacement and install. I know I would always see the scratch no matter how the repair is done. Good luck.

Also interested in the ACC retrofit. Never knew that was possible. Lots of sensors and cameras. I am happy I ordered it. Works well for me.
      02-08-2022, 06:23 PM   #3
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 228I XDrive GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by j997tt View Post
Nice looking car. I personally would not touch the lights. I think too easy to cause more damage than mitigate the underlying cause. But that’s me. I would just cover them with PPF and call it a day. The film will mask small pits. Buy some factory touch up paint, fill the chips in the bumper and do the PPF. If you have a ton of chips, try the Dr. Color Chip system. Works pretty good but I prefer the PITA factory paint because when done right it cannot be seen. As for your window trim, I would just buy a OE replacement and install. I know I would always see the scratch no matter how the repair is done. Good luck.

Also interested in the ACC retrofit. Never knew that was possible. Lots of sensors and cameras. I am happy I ordered it. Works well for me.
Thank you so much for the reply, that’s kind of what I was thinking, I know they have a protective film on them UV layer, and I would be sanding that off. I think I will probably just clay them, and polish them, and then put the PPF on. Also in regards to the trim I have been looking for that part but I haven’t been able to find it, it’s not a huge priority but it’s right on the drivers door and I look at it every time I get in the car so of course you can understand.

Yes I really wish I got the active cruise control but with the chip shortage my car already had the digital key removed, the front fog lights removed, and the kick to open trunk removed. The park assist is cool but I doubt I would ever use it, and it did not come with the 360 camera like the G20, the adaptive cruise control though would be nice to have. I don’t spend a ton of time in traffic but hell I had it back in the day on my 2003 Infiniti M45, granted it stopped at 20 miles an hour.

Dr. color chip does not have skyscraper gray metallic yet, so I ordered from scratcheshappen.com and got touchup paint, primer, and clearcoat. Not certain if I’m going to tackle the chip because I don’t want to make it look worse.

So there have been people who have done the adaptive cruise control retrofit on the F44, I also had it done on my Mini Cooper S, basically you can code it for adaptive cruise control, and have the following distance set to a certain parameter without the need to retrofit the steering wheel buttons which I’m not going to do. My buddy seems to think that my car has all the necessary hardware, we are going to get into it shortly when my Enet cable comes👌🙏💯
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 04:37 AM   #4
j997tt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M DGM/SO

Go to this link (RealOEM) and I think the door trim is part number 5. There are a few variations so ask your dealer. If you give them your VIN they will match the correct part.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_A943