BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

11-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #1
CyberYYZ
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

6 months of ownership

Hello all, I hope you are well

I wanted to ask if anyone has noticed any initial ownership concerns after driving their new 2 Series Gran coupe. I have noticed a significant loose rattle or vibration near the back window or rear part of the sunroof. Scheduled my first oil change next Friday and will have service team take a look at it.

But overall love my M235i
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Nothing so far. Only had it for one month.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 03:45 PM   #3
Murat Aydinoglu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328 , 2012 e93 , 2016 f36

Well...
i only spent few thousand miles so far due to not driving much but i did have few issues along the way
1- Harman speaker for driver side died
2- Both low and high pitch horns died
3- front bumper engine splash cover missing few screws.

Besides these which was covered under warranty nothing much. Its actually much more quiet than i expected.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 12:59 PM   #4
homemadesausage
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Gran Coupè

I have had my M235i since July.
20,000 km on the clock, no issues yet whatsoever. Just changed to winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
LuCanBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i GC

Had my M235i from May, still under 500km on the clock WFH since March. Ceramic coated and winter swap from the stock 19s are the only changes.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 05:57 PM   #6
CyberYYZ
Private
Rep

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberYYZ View Post

I wanted to ask if anyone has noticed any initial ownership concerns after driving their new 2 Series Gran coupe. I have noticed a significant loose rattle or vibration near the back window or rear part of the sunroof. Scheduled my first oil change next Friday and will have service team take a look at it.

Had the car in for first oil change today and it was the sunroof. They added some “carbaflow to the sunroof seals and all good now

Still loving the ride and powerful speed off the line!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #7
Murat Aydinoglu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Having similar now ...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 03:34 PM   #8
CyberYYZ
Private
Rep

"Murat". really describe what you are hearing/seeing and what has the dealer said/done?

I brought mine back a second time and they added more carbon flow to lubricate the sunroof.

It is better so far (occasional rattle) but far less. Dealer says due to large sunroof opening and curved glass roof this something to be expected for this design? (Not sure I agree)

Welcome other people's thoughts
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #9
Murat Aydinoglu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"Murat". really describe what you are hearing/seeing and what has the dealer said/done?

I brought mine back a second time and they added more carbon flow to lubricate the sunroof.

It is better so far (occasional rattle) but far less. Dealer says due to large sunroof opening and curved glass roof this something to be expected for this design? (Not sure I agree)

Welcome other people's thoughts
Sorry fellas my bad i didnt explain much deeper. My issue is mainly now in the trunk area where the liner connects i believe. I need to replicate a lot more so when i travel to dealer i can pinpoint the issue. If i do not then they will simply call it "We did not hear anything."
The sound however is more of squeak and rattle rather than simple metal to metal rattle.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 06:33 PM   #10
CyberYYZ
Private
Rep

Curious if you could provide an update on your rattle?

Ps I have a M235i gran coupe and I too suffer from roof or sunroof rattle or creek. 2 visits to the dealer where they applied “carbaflow” and said it may be something I need to live with considering how big the sunroof is. I disagree as the car was fine for 6 months and then it started.

Ps there loaner (228 gran coupe) no rattle or creeks

Any BMW tech’s online who can share their thoughts or expertise would be much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 08:04 PM   #11
CyberYYZ
Private
Rep

Update

Quote:
Curious if you could provide an update on your rattle?

Ps I have a M235i gran coupe and I too suffer from roof or sunroof rattle or creek. 2 visits to the dealer where they applied “carbaflow” and said it may be something I need to live with considering how big the sunroof is. I disagree as the car was fine for 6 months and then it started.

Ps there loaner (228 gran coupe) no rattle or creeks

Any BMW tech’s online who can share their thoughts or expertise would be much appreciated
So. I brought in my car to have shop foreman go out with me on a roadtest. He agreed it is still there and said they would order and replace the sunroof rubber seals ( all around) and see if that fixes the issue. He also said this is something he has seen with other BMW models and rubber gasket usually do the trick and fix the issue.

Unfortunately with COVID not much coming out of Germany parts wise amd the rubber is on back order so will be a bit before next update.

Stay tuned
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 01:39 PM   #12
CyberYYZ
Private
Rep

Update

Quote:
Had the car in for first oil change today and it was the sunroof. They added some “carbaflow to the sunroof seals and all good now

Still loving the ride and powerful speed off the line!
So the rattle/vibration is back and dealer replaced all rubber gaskets around sunroof. Unfortunately that did not resolve the issue and they have now ordered a whole new sunroof frame/assembly.

It is on back order as of yesterday so may take a month or more (due to COVID-19) I will provide update after they install new sunroof.

Anyone else seen this issue with their 2 series Gran coupe?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 01:40 PM   #13
CyberYYZ
Private
Rep

Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murat Aydinoglu View Post
Sorry fellas my bad i didnt explain much deeper. My issue is mainly now in the trunk area where the liner connects i believe. I need to replicate a lot more so when i travel to dealer i can pinpoint the issue. If i do not then they will simply call it "We did not hear anything."
The sound however is more of squeak and rattle rather than simple metal to metal rattle.
Cheers
Hello Murat any updates on your issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 12:16 PM   #14
CyberYYZ
Private
Rep

Bump. Anyone else have any insights or seen a similar issue.

Quote:
Just wanted to see if anyone is experiencing a similar rattle vibration issue with their sunroof?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 12:45 PM   #15
Murat Aydinoglu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Hi all,
So far not much news on my end. The rattle is for sure trunk area but i am waiting for next service appointment (possibly oil change). i have started to hear the roof rattle as well when go over speed bumps.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 12:51 PM   #16
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Just wanted to see if anyone is experiencing a similar rattle vibration issue with their sunroof?
I have the rattle also in the pano roof. It only does it when the car is cold. When I leave my house (car is garage kept) no noise. Once I'm driving for a bit the noise comes back as the body gets cold. I'm pretty sure the rattle is coming from the plastic trim that covers the gap from the front glass to rear glass.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 03:12 PM   #17
Davin21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Infiniti Q60RS

I've noticed a small crackle and pop from the speakers, My guess is it must be the fake exhaust noise being pumped in. It happens sometimes when I am not even revving the car. Is there a way to calibrate this or turn it down?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 04:59 PM   #18
CSD979967
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davin21 View Post
I've noticed a small crackle and pop from the speakers, My guess is it must be the fake exhaust noise being pumped in. It happens sometimes when I am not even revving the car. Is there a way to calibrate this or turn it down?
I get this aswell mate, sometimes cuts out the bass on the music when it's playing too.

Either that or I have the bass up too loud...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 06:04 PM   #19
CyberYYZ
Private
Rep

Sunroof rattle fixed

Just wanted to share that the dealer replaced my glass sunroof assembly and all is good now

The shop foreman said it was the first time he had seen this issue and BMW regional tech did a global search and came up with no other reports like this.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 08:33 AM   #20
LuCanBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i GC

Hopefully this is not a repost:
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...n-coup-recall/
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 09:54 AM   #21
CyberYYZ
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuCanBimmer View Post
Interesting and no mention by the dealer when I was there.

Thank you for sharing
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:15 AM   #22
Murat Aydinoglu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davin21 View Post
They changed my speaker for this reason and issue was solved.
Appreciate 0