BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

11-24-2020, 10:10 PM   #23
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Does anyone see the majors (Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda) engulfing and beating Tesla back into a niche brand in 10 years?

Serious question.

The majors know what it takes to put millions of reasonable quality cars on the road every year, and have the factory infrastructure and labor force to do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 07:08 AM   #24
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Does anyone see the majors (Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda) engulfing and beating Tesla back into a niche brand in 10 years?

Serious question.

The majors know what it takes to put millions of reasonable quality cars on the road every year, and have the factory infrastructure and labor force to do it.
I don't see it happening for some time, although I'm really surprised that the domestics are more ahead in EV's than the Japanese. The new Mach-E and Hummer look really nice. Toyota and Honda sadly have their very stubborn management who refuse any change, pretty sad for Toyota especially, a company who revolutionized the hybrid with the Prius, and now, its the number one traded in vehicle for the Model 3.
chassis6373.50
      11-25-2020, 08:38 AM   #25
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

Quote:

Serious question.

I don’t see if happening either. Until one of the majors decides to make a “normal” EV its not going to happen.

Don’t know why they have to make the exteriors so ugly and the same with the interiors. Tesla has a cult following in various circles for various reasons and are selling in decent numbers.

If let’s say Honda came out with a full electric Civic or Accord that looks identical inside and out to the gasoline version with a 300-400 mile range it would sell.

Personally we were considering an EV for my wife 2 years ago.
Tesla 3 - she didn’t like the styling, liked how it drove
Chevy Bolt - ugly inside and out, didn’t like the drive
Nissan Leaf - meh styling and okay drive
BMW i3 - didn’t like the styling but liked the drive
VW eGolf - liked the styling, looked like a “normal car” liked the drive and range met her needs, however 6-9 month wait to get one. Doesn’t work when you have a couple days to find a new car when your car was totalled in a collision.

We are at the point of considering a new car for her again and still, not many better EV options.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      11-25-2020, 10:27 AM   #26
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Little confused here... the DCT only comes at this point in 1, maybe 2 vehicles... M2C and whatever M4 is left over from LY.

As far as I am concerned, those transmissions are bulletproof and they literally the least complained about part in those cars... who are they talking to here or is that a general comment?

The only other newcomers with DCTs that I can think of right now... are the Koreans with Hyundai.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 02:09 PM   #27
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Little confused here... the DCT only comes at this point in 1, maybe 2 vehicles... M2C and whatever M4 is left over from LY.

As far as I am concerned, those transmissions are bulletproof and they literally the least complained about part in those cars... who are they talking to here or is that a general comment?

The only other newcomers with DCTs that I can think of right now... are the Koreans with Hyundai.
VAG has used them in more vehicles than anyone but they are slowly moving away using the ZF8 in more vehicles like BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 02:09 PM   #28
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

Serious question.

I don't see Tesla lasting long if Toyota, Honda and VW get serious. The ID3 is already eating up sales in Europe.

I guess there is a market for lower costs, higher quality electric cars that look like normal cars.
Appreciate 0