BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-02-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
Jatran661
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 135i

Help! swirl and hazes after polish.

hi guys i just tried polishing using a applicator pad by hand but it went horribly wrong. There are more swirls and some hazes are showing. Its not going way! I was wondering what can I do to fix these SHxT. Is it possible polishing without portal cable. If you guys want to see some pics ill post it up tommorw.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Make sure you use a clean applicator pad and a CLEAN microfiber towel for removal. A PC 7424 will be a big help but if you want to try using medium pressure by hand you can still polish. The key is getting a quality polish and taking your time working it in. I'd suggest the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205with a DI Accessories Foam Applicator Pad. When you are done 2x DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel should be what you need hand remove the excess product. Fold the towel in fourths and keep exposing a fresh side of the towel so you get eight fresh and clean surfaces from one towel. This will help ensure you are not adding in any swirls during your removal process. Using and old shirt and some low quality mf towels could cause major swirls.

After polishing protect your paint with a quality sealant or wax, if you need a recommendation please let me know. Lastly shipping is only $4 anywhere in the 48 states and you'll get 10% off. Use the coupon code July4Ship before 7/6 (midnight EST) and spend at least $50 to qualify. Hope this helps!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
Jatran661
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I used exactly the same polish and everything. Should i go in a circular motion over the same spot? or up and down left and right? Btw do you sell any high quality microfiber that wont leave streak marks when wiping car? I got some microfiber from costco and some that came with the chemical guys but it kept leaving water streak marks when I try to wipe the water off after a car wash. This sucks my car is only 3 weeks old
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

I just noticed that you have Jet Black. That has a reputation for looking stunning when everything is on the money, but it seems to swirl easily. For some, JB is a challenge.

In your shoes, I would seriously consider getting a PC. They're easy to use, and M205 works well with it. If you need to get more aggressive, there are plenty of polishes out there.

That way, you should be able to get it looking right. Really, Jet Black done right is a sight to behold.

Then, careful washing and drying routines should help keep you from breaking out the PC too often.

A PC is pretty foolproof. Hey, I have one!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
There could be many diff reasons for why its hazing and streaking. You could be polishing wrong for one. You could be using a dirty applicator which can cause hairline scratches. The hazing would be if you used too much polish and left it on too long.

Best bet is this: Use LITTLE polish, for each quarter of the car you shouldnt need more than a dime sized amount and spread that around. Using a clean soft foam applicator is best as it soaks the polish up and you can spread it around more by pressing on the pad, releasing the polish inside the foam. Do only one section at a time, polish it NOT in a circular pattern, make sure the applicator is moist. After the section is polished, take a clean MF towel (best are from chem guys) and wipe the polish off, and then take a diff clean mf towel and buff. I keep one towel for wiping, and one for buffing and do not let them get dirty.

If you are seeing hazing and scratches afterwards that dont come off with wiping with a detailer spray or something, you need a do-over polish and do it well. Using a paint cleanser right after washing the car is necessary, search around for those. Then you use a polish, better not to use paste. Then once its done the paint will be bare, you need to put a sealant on there.

If you have paint damage deeper than the clearcoat somehow you will need a buffer or a prof detailer to polish your car to remove that. I have 13k miles on my DSB and my hood you can tell in certain fluorescent light that it has some spots and light marks basically from rainwater and other natural things that land on the car. Im sure if I paid a detailer to go at it it would look better, but like i said you can only tell in certain light and looking closely, otherwise my car looks like sex, even when its kinda dirty.

P.S. It could also just honestly be from a shitty wash job, a dirty wash mitt or whatever your using can give your car shitloads of hairline scratches, etc. Dont use a bucket, get a foam gun or something and a MF wash mitt, spray it off very often while washing to keep it clear of debris, and be sure to use a car shampoo with some glossy characteristics to it, something slick
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
Jatran661
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think I was polishing wrong. I was sure everything was clean because I just bought the pads before the polish and they were plastic wrapped. Maybe it was the microfiber towel because I only used one to clean off all the left over polish.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #7
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatran661 View Post
I think I was polishing wrong. I was sure everything was clean because I just bought the pads before the polish and they were plastic wrapped. Maybe it was the microfiber towel because I only used one to clean off all the left over polish.
One thing ive learned about polish is that no matter which you use it is a bitch to remove. You really have to be diligent, make sure youre doing the job in a well lit area, or use a flashlight to spot any areas that still have polish left. Hence why you use one towel to remove the polish and one to buff. You also gotta use a little muscle when buffing as well to be sure you removing it all. One thing you dont wanna do is put a coat of sealant or wax on the car covering spots where theres still polish residue left on the paint. That's no good
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Jet Black is nearly impossible to keep perfect- don't even try. All you can try to do is minimize, but you will always have light to moderate swirls and hazing unless you simply never touch the paint. Believe me, I tried for 2 years, being as careful/anal as you could imagine, and never was able to get it perfect.

I would bet your swirls came from the MF towels.

- Joe Walsh

Last edited by BlackjackMulligan; 07-10-2011 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 04:08 AM   #9
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

I appreciate you detailing pads, microfibres, etc. are all new but I always suggest washing them before use. They are not mfg in 'clean rooms' so they could pick up all sorts of dirt between the mfg and you the end user
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

i have BSM 1'er and i notice its hard to keep swirls and haze off my car. Its bound to happen on the soft clear coat when washing too. I, had to buy a DA buffer and adopt a dual bucket method to polish and wax , and wash my car. I became very anal about my microfiber towels. The ones i use are very high quality ones that i only use for drying, and when i clean them in the washer, i dont put anything else besides just the "drying microfiber towels" in. Also, when washing the car to minimize the hazyness and swirls i bought a nice perforated/hash marked sponge that works great in wiping off dirt and absorbing it into the sponge and not keeping it on the surface.
After investing in these methods my black car is seriously streak, haze, and swirl free. The paint now looks even better than when i first bought it.
I went from sealants to carnuba wax as well. It brings out the warmth of the paint much better on black cars.
Black is soo money when its perfect.!
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
Jatran661
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

ill give polish another try when the weather stops raining. Should i invest in a waffle weave towel for drying? I always see streak marks when i dry my car
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatran661 View Post
ill give polish another try when the weather stops raining. Should i invest in a waffle weave towel for drying? I always see streak marks when i dry my car
No.

Get a vac/blower = no towel = no spots or streaks
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #13
Jatran661
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

blower as in leaf blower?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #14
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Blower as in this http://www.chemicalguys.com/Metro_Wa.../vnb-4afbr.htm

I have the one thats slightly smaller than that, dont think they sell it anymore, and its one hell of a blower. I dry my entire car in 10 minutes or less without a single touch from a towel. AND it gets all the water out of your cracks n crevices which is a huge plus, trust me its worth it
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #15
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Blower as in this http://www.chemicalguys.com/Metro_Wa.../vnb-4afbr.htm

I have the one thats slightly smaller than that, dont think they sell it anymore, and its one hell of a blower. I dry my entire car in 10 minutes or less without a single touch from a towel. AND it gets all the water out of your cracks n crevices which is a huge plus, trust me its worth it
I bought a blower and while it worked ok for me, it still left a little water behind. Plus, you can't use the blower in the garage because it just blows all the dust from the floor around and onto your car, unless you constantly sweep the floor.

I use a waffle weave towel with great results.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #16
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
I bought a blower and while it worked ok for me, it still left a little water behind. Plus, you can't use the blower in the garage because it just blows all the dust from the floor around and onto your car, unless you constantly sweep the floor.

I use a waffle weave towel with great results.
Well..im no expert or anything, but the dryer i got from Chem guys is very easy to use, powerful and fast. Dont dry in the garage if you dont want "dust flying everywhere". POS waffleweave cant get all the water in the crevices all over your car, nor can it dry your car without touching it
Appreciate 0