BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

03-20-2023, 06:58 PM   #1
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Possible Transmission Issue

Every time I start the car the first time the transmission goes through the shifts around fourth gear i hear a high pitch sound followed by a “thud” as it shifts. Does not happen again unless I turn off the car and restart. I have an appointment scheduled with BMW but I was wondering it anyone had any thoughts or
if it has happened to you. My vehicle is an M235ix. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 11:09 AM   #2
Akeirouz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 228xi grand coupe

I would say this this could be due to low transmission fluid or worn out gears, also could be the transmission or engine mount became loose. Since it doesn’t happen repeatedly this is definitely weird, but I would for sure take it into BMW. If you also want to see if you can detect the issue yourself through the codes of the car before you take it into the dealership, you can get an OBD2 scanner.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 06:59 PM   #3
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeirouz View Post
I would say this this could be due to low transmission fluid or worn out gears, also could be the transmission or engine mount became loose. Since it doesn’t happen repeatedly this is definitely weird, but I would for sure take it into BMW. If you also want to see if you can detect the issue yourself through the codes of the car before you take it into the dealership, you can get an OBD2 scanner.
Thanks for the advice. If it is low transmission fluid would I not get an alert from the car or app?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 05:57 PM   #4
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

After three weeks of my vehicle being at the BMW dealership and after sending a sample of the transmission fluid to BMW HQ somewhere and performing other tests I was informed that they have no idea what is causing the problem.Consequently, I will be receiving a new transmission. I was told that it will be coming from Germany. Probably on the slowest ship possible. At least they gave me a brand new X5 as a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 06:47 PM   #5
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

UPDATE: My vehicle was returned to me today with a new transmission. Dealer said if it was not covered by warranty it would have cost $18,000!
Appreciate 0