E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Transmission Replacement

06-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
gichoke
Captain Generale
Rep
Drives: 18' M2

Transmission Replacement at 4,000 Miles!

Ha...you all will not believe this. A couple of days ago my transmission (6 spd) was having a very difficult, if not impossible time shifting into 6th gear. Either it would not shift at all, and it felt like a 5 spd, OR, when it did shift, there was an awful grinding noise, and much difficulty to shift as well.

I took my car to the dealer this morning, and I get a call from the service manager:

SM: "The tech couldn't figure out what was wrong with the transmission, so we are ordering you a new one"

Me: "WHAT!? This is a new car with 4k miles on it, how is that possible?"

SM: "Well, when problems like these arise, the techs prefer to replace it. There are only three transmission for your car in the country, so we have to wait a bit as it is shipped from California"

I don't really care that the car is in the shop as it is covered by warranty and I am out of town for a couple weeks, but still, COME ON, a new tranny at 4k?!?!??! Does anyone else think that is crazy?!

At most I thought a synchro was off on the 6th gear...Could it be that opening up a tranny (drop from car, disassemble, reassemble, put back) is more expensive than installing a new one!? I dont know...if there are BMW techs out there who can provide feedback I would love to hear about this. I am not complaining at all thought....new tranny, why not! If I had been taking my car to the strip every weekend I could kind of see it, but, for this I really don't. Has anyone else had this problem? Could this be the beginning of a recall!?!?!?!??

Last edited by gichoke; 06-18-2007 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: formatting
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

better for you
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 02:40 AM   #3
Joe Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2015 X5 x35i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichoke View Post
Ha...you all will not believe this. A couple of days ago my transmission (6 spd) was having a very difficult, if not impossible time shifting into 6th gear. Either it would not shift at all, and it felt like a 5 spd, OR, when it did shift, there was an awful grinding noise, and much difficulty to shift as well.

I took my car to the dealer this morning, and I get a call from the service manager:

SM: "The tech couldn't figure out what was wrong with the transmission, so we are ordering you a new one"

Me: "WHAT!? This is a new car with 4k miles on it, how is that possible?"

SM: "Well, when problems like these arise, the techs prefer to replace it. There are only three transmission for your car in the country, so we have to wait a bit as it is shipped from California"

I don't really care that the car is in the shop as it is covered by warranty and I am out of town for a couple weeks, but still, COME ON, a new tranny at 4k?!?!??! Does anyone else think that is crazy?!

At most I thought a synchro was off on the 6th gear...Could it be that opening up a tranny (drop from car, disassemble, reassemble, put back) is more expensive than installing a new one!? I dont know...if there are BMW techs out there who can provide feedback I would love to hear about this. I am not complaining at all thought....new tranny, why not! If I had been taking my car to the strip every weekend I could kind of see it, but, for this I really don't. Has anyone else had this problem? Could this be the beginning of a recall!?!?!?!??:evil:
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 02:10 PM   #4
AR230WAKEBOARDER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MONTEGO BLUE 335I

If you open up the tranny you lose your "CORE". I had a tranny replaced on my 02 m3 AND decided to just pay the $9,000 for the new tranny and not mess with opening it up.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
gichoke
Captain Generale
Rep

Transmission is being installed today, WOOHOO!
      06-19-2007, 09:18 PM   #6
Jb7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire '07 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Not just my transmission, i got my whole engine replaced after only 1200 miles. My engine would just not start up again, so i got replacement and they put new parts for mostly everything except turbos. Also, my third gear grinds or is not smooth often, I'm not sure if thats my fault because my timing is off, but its not cool...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 08:28 AM   #7
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Whole-hog replacement seems to be the policy now. It more efficient to send trannys, final drives, etc. back to the factory for failure analysis and rebuild than to train and provide for local repairs.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
gichoke
Captain Generale
Rep

Crikey! You got a new engine? I guess I dont have it too bad then. I would def get that grinding checked out. The 6er should shift as smooth as butter.
Cheers,
F
      06-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
gichoke
Captain Generale
Rep

Picked up the car today.....tranny shifts sooooo smoothly and the clutch feels great, very light.