BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

08-03-2021, 11:30 AM   #1
Madturbs
Rep
Drives: 128ti White

Exhaust pops and blurbs

Hi everyone,

Must say this is a great forum for finding out things about the car!

Onto todays question....

Took delivery of my car (M235i) just over a month ago and as of yet I still haven't heard the exhaust pop and splutter on start up (Done the 1200 miles run in period too).

Is there a preferred way to start the car so I hear it pop? Does it only do it when you rev over a certain amount?
Although I'm now wondering if, because of EU regulations, that they have programed the ECU to stop doing this?

Anyone any insight?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 01:41 PM   #2
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

The f44 will startup in comfort mode with the left exhaust flap closed. Even if you then switch to sport the flap will only open when the engine has warmed up...
Appreciate 1
CoopJet3859.50
      08-03-2021, 02:22 PM   #3
jackknewman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i xDrive Gran Coupe

I take delivery of mine in 2 days... I see videos on YouTube etc where some are having a few burbles etc upon starting and some aren't. Same year of registration also...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 03:01 PM   #4
Madturbs
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukeuk View Post
The f44 will startup in comfort mode with the left exhaust flap closed. Even if you then switch to sport the flap will only open when the engine has warmed up...
Yes thats right, but not what I was asking.

Im asking if BMW has changed the software so it doesn't pop and splutter, or if it does it in a certain start up sequence?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 03:02 PM   #5
Madturbs
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackknewman View Post
I take delivery of mine in 2 days... I see videos on YouTube etc where some are having a few burbles etc upon starting and some aren't. Same year of registration also...
Happy days for you coming up. Enjoy the car, 1200 miles in in mine and I'm still like a kid with a new toy
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #6
jackknewman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madturbs View Post
Happy days for you coming up. Enjoy the car, 1200 miles in in mine and I'm still like a kid with a new toy
I think BMW online genius live chat are close to blocking me from asking for any updates. Only a couple of sleeps to go! Glad to see you're still enjoying yours!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 03:41 PM   #7
Madturbs
Rep

Quote:
I think BMW online genius live chat are close to blocking me from asking for any updates. Only a couple of sleeps to go! Glad to see you're still enjoying yours!
Ha Ha. I was the same. Although the girl I was talking to on their fb page told me my car wasn't due for delivery till a month after the garages date!!!! Luckily for me the garage date was right so I don't know what system the girl was using but I'm glad it was wrong!

I came from an Audi S5 and was worried that it wouldn't be as fast (330bhp vs the 306 of the BMs) but I must say its actually quicker and it puts the power down in a way that blows the S5 out of the water. Turbo over supercharger any day of the week. Gear changes are fierce too.

Do run the engine in though. My salesman tried to tell me it doesn't need it but I'm not gambling with a car that I plan to have for years to come.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 03:48 PM   #8
jackknewman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Ha Ha. I was the same. Although the girl I was talking to on their fb page told me my car wasn't due for delivery till a month after the garages date!!!! Luckily for me the garage date was right so I don't know what system the girl was using but I'm glad it was wrong!

I came from an Audi S5 and was worried that it wouldn't be as fast (330bhp vs the 306 of the BMs) but I must say its actually quicker and it puts the power down in a way that blows the S5 out of the water. Turbo over supercharger any day of the week. Gear changes are fierce too.

Do run the engine in though. My salesman tried to tell me it doesn't need it but I'm not gambling with a car that I plan to have for years to come.
I will do mate thank you very much, from the dealership to home is over 200miles so will be a good first trip getting to know the car. Would you say go easy on it for around 1,000 miles or longer?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 03:59 PM   #9
Madturbs
Rep

Quote:
I will do mate thank you very much, from the dealership to home is over 200miles so will be a good first trip getting to know the car. Would you say go easy on it for around 1,000 miles or longer?
Well the manual says 1200 miles. No kickdown and stay below 4000 rpm.

I did stay below the 4000 rpm and no kickdown and didn't put the gearbox into sport mode either. Although I think one time the kickdown did catch me out. After about 800 miles I started to be a little heavier footed but certainly didn't plant the accelerator. Just slowly eased it up over the rpms. At 1000 miles I was driving it the way I wanted. Although still haven't used launch yet.

For every person that says be gentle there is another that says don't be daft its run in at the factory. Which it is, but at the same time this is a mechanical engine. Everything needs eased in. Speakers, TVs, shoes!

My advice. Yeah run it in, you'll fell better for it in the long run. Lets face it 1000 miles is easy. Took me less than a month.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 04:05 PM   #10
jackknewman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Well the manual says 1200 miles. No kickdown and stay below 4000 rpm.

I did stay below the 4000 rpm and no kickdown and didn't put the gearbox into sport mode either. Although I think one time the kickdown did catch me out. After about 800 miles I started to be a little heavier footed but certainly didn't plant the accelerator. Just slowly eased it up over the rpms. At 1000 miles I was driving it the way I wanted. Although still haven't used launch yet.

For every person that says be gentle there is another that says don't be daft its run in at the factory. Which it is, but at the same time this is a mechanical engine. Everything needs eased in. Speakers, TVs, shoes!

My advice. Yeah run it in, you'll fell better for it in the long run. Lets face it 1000 miles is easy. Took me less than a month.
Yeah I totally agree. Cheers mate. Keep enjoying your motor!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:04 PM   #11
FourCarss
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F44 M235i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Onto todays question....

Took delivery of my car (M235i) just over a month ago and as of yet I still haven't heard the exhaust pop and splutter on start up (Done the 1200 miles run in period too).

Is there a preferred way to start the car so I hear it pop? Does it only do it when you rev over a certain amount?
Although I'm now wondering if, because of EU regulations, that they have programed the ECU to stop doing this?

Anyone any insight?
All cars in Europe that were registered after April 2020 were impacted by a new law to do with emissions. Therefore BMW put a map on your car to stop all new models popping/banging even while revving. That said, this car doesn't pop/burble stock while driving at all. I'm from the U.S. and it is only while revving in park that I get pops from the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:09 PM   #12
FourCarss
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukeuk View Post
Exhaust flap opens in 'SPORTY' ASD
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:39 PM   #13
Mishta.Silva
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Onto todays question....

Anyone any insight?
Press sport mode button before you hit the start button and you'll hear the pops. - it's weird, it doesn't do it consistently- seems to only NOT pop when there are people around who I want to make the pops for :
I'd say 90% of the time mine pops.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 06:06 AM   #14
lilziki
Rep
Drives: M235i GC

Mine changes, sometimes it will fart in Comfort and sometimes it will in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 11:40 AM   #15
Somnoboost
Rep
Drives: 2021 M235ix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT6hxP4CzEQ

Unplug the actuator/flap from the exhaust while your car is in sport mode. It will never close again and always be open when you start your car. You will hear the burbles more often then you don't. But it is not possible to predict any way to make the car burble. It depends on the temp of the car and primarily where the fuel is at in the system. If it just experienced some burbles and bangs before shutting down it probably won't on startup. If it didn't, it probably will. But rev it high enough when it's warm and it will do it every time. It's burning off fuel that was pumped into the system but then the RPMs dropped so the motor burns off the extra fuel that the fuel injector pumped in. That's why you never hear the sounds when you accelerate, only the opposite, and why you hear bangs between shifts. Starting the car does the same thing, fuel injectors pump in fuel at startup when the RPMs bump up, the car quickly idles back down and there's where the burbles happen.

Last edited by Somnoboost; 08-15-2021 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 05:47 PM   #16
Brooklyn M240i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 30i  [0.00]
2023 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnoboost View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT6hxP4CzEQ

Unplug the actuator/flap from the exhaust while your car is in sport mode. It will never close again and always be open when you start your car. You will hear the burbles more often then you don't. But it is not possible to predict any way to make the car burble. It depends on the temp of the car and primarily where the fuel is at in the system. If it just experienced some burbles and bangs before shutting down it probably won't on startup. If it didn't, it probably will. But rev it high enough when it's warm and it will do it every time. It's burning off fuel that was pumped into the system but then the RPMs dropped so the motor burns off the extra fuel that the fuel injector pumped in. That's why you never hear the sounds when you accelerate, only the opposite, and why you hear bangs between shifts. Starting the car does the same thing, fuel injectors pump in fuel at startup when the RPMs bump up, the car quickly idles back down and there's where the burbles happen.
I have a question do I pull the plug when the car is off bc if it's off my valve is closed and when I put the car in sport it's still closed
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 11:17 PM   #17
FourCarss
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F44 View Post
I have a question do I pull the plug when the car is off bc if it's off my valve is closed and when I put the car in sport it's still closed
Change ASD to sporty
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 03:30 AM   #18
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

If you mean in the car settings, from what I understand this only changes the artificial sound...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_sound_design
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #19
Brooklyn M240i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 30i  [0.00]
2023 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourCarss View Post
Quote:
Change ASD to sporty
Quote:
Quote:
Change ASD to sporty
I don't have that I have a 2020 228i GC with idrive 6 and that isn't and option and my exhaust valve never opens, idk how to make it open.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 02:28 PM   #20
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Change ASD to sporty
Quote:
Quote:
Change ASD to sporty
I don't have that I have a 2020 228i GC with idrive 6 and that isn't and option and my exhaust valve never opens, idk how to make it open.
The ASD doesn't do anything to the valve, that being said. If you want it to be open the car has to be cold. Do a cold start and run back behind the car and jump under while the cat warm up process is still running. It should be wide open. Unplug it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 05:57 PM   #21
FourCarss
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownLSX View Post
The ASD doesn't do anything to the valve, that being said. If you want it to be open the car has to be cold. Do a cold start and run back behind the car and jump under while the cat warm up process is still running. It should be wide open. Unplug it.
I know we already had this discussion, but for me, the ASD changes the valve. In fact, it's the only thing that does
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 09:23 PM   #22
Brooklyn M240i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 30i  [0.00]
2023 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Change ASD to sporty
Quote:
Quote:
Change ASD to sporty
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Change ASD to sporty
Quote:
Quote:
Change ASD to sporty
Even on a cold start man it's never open never no matter how fast I get there. And after I come home and put it in park (engine on) it's not open, and when I put it in park, and switch from sport to comfort no noise of it opening. And I don't wanna buy Bimmer Link to open it. Is there any way to "force" it open. I called my dealer and they said everything is fine w your car it'll open when it wants to and that's the problem it never wants to.
Appreciate 0