BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

11-13-2007, 11:04 AM   #111
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray33 View Post
The thing that made my mind up, (and this is true) is that my wife thought the 997 looked like an old VW beetle from the front. Once she said that i couldnt get it out of my head.
Despite the fact that your wife's observation is an astute one (look here), surely the Porsche is infinitely prettier than the M3? Ignore your wife.

Rear-engined, bug-eyed, two-door German cars? VW or Porsche, it's a great look.

And no I don't include the new Beetle in this (I'll stop here, rant coming on)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 11:10 AM   #112
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray33 View Post
I was seriously looking at a 997 before i decided to go with the M3. Performance wise, (i had a loan of both for a day), there is not much in it. The thing that made my mind up, (and this is true) is that my wife thought the 997 looked like an old VW beetle from the front. Once she said that i couldnt get it out of my head. Also i suppose the fact that the M3 is just better and in my case €45,000 cheaper. There is a reason why porsche is the most profitable car maker in the world.
To each his/HER own. Whatever you and your wife like, that's all that matters. As far as there not being much performance in it, that's not the case at all. You likely prefer a more abrupt power spike.

As far as denying the looks of the classic 911, well... that's subjective, I guess.

I certainly wouldn't say that the new M3 is beautiful. And, I'm not so certain that time will be kind to the newest M, whereas the 911 will be timeLESS.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 03:32 PM   #113
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

[QUOTE=swamp2;1664176]
I am curious how you decide the value of something. Compare apples to apples, new, stock vehicles, what car in this class will offer a better combinatation of the above criteria for less money? The IS-F may be a decent choice for less $. If you can't get over the fact that the car is "just a 3 series" it will never be worth significantly more than any other 3 series to you. Like I've said before, it is 80% different than a 3 series, the 3 series is moving up the "food chain" at BMW, and lastly, it offers Ferrari 360 performance at 1/2 the price.

In comparing the M3, M5 and 911 I would say the verdicts are pretty much in. M3 matches the M5 in lower speed acceleration then gets bested as higer speeds, M3 > M5 at the track and in all handling regards. M3 > 911 in all performance metrics and matches or exceeds the 911S in many contests. You will be able to spend much more on a used M5 or 911S than a new base model M3 as well. Not sure how this is more car for the money ... unless the only criteria is badge or status.

I am done repeating myself.

QUOTE]

Value is relevant to every individual uniquely. You can write essay's on why the M3 is worth $xxxx and is better than car A or B, however it doesnt resignate with every person. Your measurement of the M3 "worth" is different than every person on this board as we all have unique requirements. When you consider all the scenarios of spending $70k on a car you can get into thousands of scenarios when you consider new cars, used cars, even getting 2 cars for $70k (daily driver + track car).

The original post was "how much are you willing to spend" not "how much do you think the M3 is worth and prove it". I stated my base price I'm willing to pay.

FYI: if you're going to try to convince every person on this board why they should agree with your opinion of M3 "value" then guess what - you will be repeating yourself over and over.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #114
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=MojorisinM3;1678692]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I am curious how you decide the value of something. Compare apples to apples, new, stock vehicles, what car in this class will offer a better combinatation of the above criteria for less money? The IS-F may be a decent choice for less $. If you can't get over the fact that the car is "just a 3 series" it will never be worth significantly more than any other 3 series to you. Like I've said before, it is 80% different than a 3 series, the 3 series is moving up the "food chain" at BMW, and lastly, it offers Ferrari 360 performance at 1/2 the price.

In comparing the M3, M5 and 911 I would say the verdicts are pretty much in. M3 matches the M5 in lower speed acceleration then gets bested as higer speeds, M3 > M5 at the track and in all handling regards. M3 > 911 in all performance metrics and matches or exceeds the 911S in many contests. You will be able to spend much more on a used M5 or 911S than a new base model M3 as well. Not sure how this is more car for the money ... unless the only criteria is badge or status.

I am done repeating myself.

QUOTE]

Value is relevant to every individual uniquely. You can write essay's on why the M3 is worth $xxxx and is better than car A or B, however it doesnt resignate with every person. Your measurement of the M3 "worth" is different than every person on this board as we all have unique requirements. When you consider all the scenarios of spending $70k on a car you can get into thousands of scenarios when you consider new cars, used cars, even getting 2 cars for $70k (daily driver + track car).

The original post was "how much are you willing to spend" not "how much do you think the M3 is worth and prove it". I stated my base price I'm willing to pay.

FYI: if you're going to try to convince every person on this board why they should agree with your opinion of M3 "value" then guess what - you will be repeating yourself over and over.
If only this was how to judge cars, art or whatever... it isn't.

Very low mileage (under 7k) MY2006 911S's are going for the low to mid-seventies. The M will likely (but, I hope not) be at least $70k, equally equipped. For many the choice will be simple...and it won't be the BMW.

Last edited by devo; 11-13-2007 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 07:26 PM   #115
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 08:51 PM   #116
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

Why doesn't this thread have a poll?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 02:46 AM   #117
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3 View Post

I was simply disagreeing with you that you get "more" car for the money in some other cars you brought up. Simply depends on how you define more I guess. If you use the most common definition of more when talking about performance cars, more PERFORMANCE. Then I still not only disagree with you but can say you are wrong. If you define more in some other way like status, badge, presitge, looks or some other non-quantifiable/subjective metric then indeed I can neither argue nor disagree with you.

I am not trying to convince folks of anything, just quesitoning their process, values and definitions for the sake of good discussion and debate. If you don't want to be questioned or engaged you should have posted a price and no comments in your reply.

BTW you have seen all of the poll results here about the expected US base price right? Do you really have any hope at all that the car will come in at or below $52k?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #118
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
There is no justice in this world, you guys are talking about not willing to pay anything more than $66K for an M3 and here in the UK I place the order for my M3 specced at £55K which at today's exchange rate of $2.09=£1 means I am paying $115K for the privilege.

Guys get a grip, you don't know when you are getting it good.
mans got a point

but still, in the states, 65k is too much of a base
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 06:46 AM   #119
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Yeah, I think anything upwards of $60k base would be a bit ridiculous; considering how BMW rapes us on options.

What was the E46 M3 base? Couldn't you get one practically loaded for ~65k?
What are you smoking? BMW is very generous with the option prices they provide. Go look at Porsche. They charge $500 just to make the logos on the wheels in COLOR instead of black and white.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 06:47 AM   #120
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

I'm ready to dish out $950/month for an E92 M3 loaded with 3/4ths of the options. If it's more than that I might have to choose a different car.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #121
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
What are you smoking? BMW is very generous with the option prices they provide. Go look at Porsche. They charge $500 just to make the logos on the wheels in COLOR instead of black and white.
Actually it's $200.00.
Appreciate 0