BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Need help with M Power pedals

K, does anyone know of or have a DIY for the //M Power Pedals, aluminum with the rubber backing and inserts. I specifically need the auto pedal DIY with the dead pedal. I know the DIY is diff with these vs. the BMW performance pedals because these came with different screws: 2 sets of equal length torx-head machine screws with matching nuts and 4 phillips-head screws that are a little bit shorter then the others..not sure which to use on which pedal..

BTW these pedals look like this, but mine are the auto's
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I am taking a 'wild" guess here... but the 4 phillips-head screws are probably for your dead pedal - since you can not get your hand around the back of it for the nuts!

Good Luck,
David
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
emac08
got em' son
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i sold / 08 E90 M3 sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
K, does anyone know of or have a DIY for the //M Power Pedals, aluminum with the rubber backing and inserts. I specifically need the auto pedal DIY with the dead pedal. I know the DIY is diff with these vs. the BMW performance pedals because these came with different screws: 2 sets of equal length torx-head machine screws with matching nuts and 4 phillips-head screws that are a little bit shorter then the others..not sure which to use on which pedal..

BTW these pedals look like this, but mine are the auto's
lol i believe that pic was from my car.. just follow the DIY listed in the index for performance pedals... thats what i did.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Ok so you used the longer thinner torx screws for the brake and accel pedal then? They seem like they may be too long and prevent WOT with the accel pedal, I dunno..

And so is it the same size drill bits?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
emac08
got em' son
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i sold / 08 E90 M3 sold

heres from the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
And also, I need to be sure I have the correct screws to install my M Power pedals. I have 8 of those same size small torx machine screws with washers and nuts and then I have 4 phillips head screws that im assuming are for the dead pedal.

The machine screws look like they may be too long for the accel pedal, will I run into a problem with that, as in the screws stopping the pedal from going all the way down?

Also, did you use the washers supplied in front of each nut you used or did you not use them at all?
the small skinny torx screws i used for the gas, clutch, and brake. the self tapping screws (phillips head w/ pointy tip) are for the dead pedal. i drilled them directly into the dead pedal AFTER making a pilot hole. Actually... I drilled pilot holes for every screw. I dont know what the stock "M" dead pedal looks like. I'm assuming its a hard plastic looking cover. If it is (which mine was), I drilled directly into it. As far as getting a drill in there, it all depends on how far up you place the new dead pedal. You will notice if you place the new pedal flush against the top, you will have a whole lot of the original dead pedal exposed and can't get a drill up there. I opted to place the new dead pedal towards the bottom (allowing me use a drill for the top bolts). This does expose a lot of the top of the original dead pedal, but from the above view (which most people will view the pedals at), you wont really see all that empty space. Take my picture for example. You really can't tell theres a big gap at the top. To each his own though...

Now to answer your question about the screws being too long for the gas... it worked out fine. I only used the washers that stayed on they are super small and hard to handle, so if they came off in the process, i just left them off and used only the nut
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Well...after 3 n a half hours I got these finally installed. My neck n back are killing me thou.

I ended up prying the "aluminum" piece on the front of the M sport dead pedal which revealed the hard plastic part of the pedal underneath to which I screwed the Power dead pedal, actually is great cuz it pushes the dead pedal out about another 1/2 inch or so which is good cuz Ive felt that pedal is a lil far from my left foot regardless of how I set my seat.

The brake pedal obviously was a massive bitch, I did end up breaking one drill bit doing the upper left hole but I think it was my fault cuz I was pressing too hard at one point and the bit was at a bit of an angle so it snapped. Didnt have any problems thereafter thou =D

I did drill a smaller pilot hole for each one of the screws for the brake, I dont remember the sizes off the top of my head but I measured a bunch till I found the right ones. The atom-sized nuts were a real pain, luckily I had some locking washers to put in front of the reg washers and nuts, hopefully that will get rid of any possibility of them ever coming loose. I used tweezer locking clamps to hold the tiny nuts in place while screwing the machine screws into them.

The accel pedal I did a bit differently. I ended up not making any pilots, I just lined the pedal up to how I wanted it and drilled the first lower left hole, put the screw thru, then drilled the upper left hole, and so on. The power accel pedal is not a PERFECT fit to the shape of the stock pedal, as it does sit at a bit of an upward angle with it drilled inline on the side and bottom, honestly though, I cant tell at all, just a real minor angle, but they are all secured on each pedal so Im not worried.

All n all i would say this was more of a pain then I would see installing my own FMIC and charge pipe would be, just so hard to get the minor details right n do all the tightening n shit specially when half the time I was just going by feel since you cant see a thing back there, I was even using an electric hanging light so..

They feel great, the dead pedal especially is ALOT more grippy than the m sport pedal, much more comfortable pedal feel over all.

Oh and btw I did all this without removing ANY inside panels or anything above or beside the pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
digimate
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jet 135i, Lemon & Poplar

hate to poop the party

but... i love these pedals... had them on my E36... but there's a problem... you'll be taking those pedals off again in about 2 years... once the rubber inserts are worn out and flush with the metal - the pedals become very slippery in wet conditions... so you'll have to replace the rubber...

keep that in mind - make sure you don't make your installation too permanent.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
BahamaBart
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

here's a different set of pedals. They match up real nice to the metal trim.

[IMG]
Exterior Bling| Kerscher splitter |
Interior Bling | Bimmian pedals | 3P Cars gauage |
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
Paulyblues
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Cool Put in the M pedals today

I just installed the M pedals today on my 128. I have a manual, but can tell you that the phillips head screws are for the dead pedal. They go in the easiest...took longer for the clutch, brake and gas. Overall about an hour to install for me and I'm a beginner.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Totally off here but you know what the bitchiest bitch is with this car, the damn deadpedal sits soo much farther fucking back then the gas and brake, makes the whole position feel really weird sometimes if you're actually thinking about it
Appreciate 0