BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Start/Stop Function

Good Morning All,

I would like to hear what you guys thing about the Start/Stop feature for the 650i GC.

Basically, most of my driving takes place on the city streets, so I deal with a lot of stop and go traffic, and traffic lights. When I picked up my car last week, the tech who walked me through the functions of the GC explained the Start/Stop feature to me very well, then suggested that I leave it active instead of turning it off, which was my original thought.

I understand that it is designed to increase fuel economy, but I was wondering what some of you may think about having the engine shut on and off 4-6 times within a 10 min time span. Could that be considered more harmful than good for the engine, and I should deacitvate this function...? Or do you think it is just fine to leave it activated, and I should just relax and enjoy the ride?

Let me know what you think about the Start/Stop feature on this amazing machine! Thanks in advance.
      03-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I never have it activated.

I know BMW says it's not harmful to the engine, but having it start and stop so often just can't be good.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit View Post

I know BMW says it's not harmful to the engine, but having it start and stop so often just can't be good.
I agree with your thought process. I will turn it off later today on the drive home after work and see how things go for a while. I wouldn't want to cause any potential negative long term effects on the engine while this function is activated during mostly city driving and rush hour traffic.

Thanks, ipsedixit. Stay safe out there!
      03-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
I agree with your thought process. I will turn it off later today on the drive home after work and see how things go for a while. I wouldn't want to cause any potential negative long term effects on the engine while this function is activated during mostly city driving and rush hour traffic.

Even though I never have it activated, I don't mind it so much just tooling around on local.

But when I'm in stop-and-go traffic on the freeway, it becomes a big pain in the ass. There are times when I don't come to a stop long enough and the engine is in the process of shutting off and then I have to get up and go again. That just can't be good for the engine. So I just leave it off permanently.

I know it saves gas and cuts down on emissions. But this is one instance where the well-being of my car is more important than the well-being of the environment.

I recycle, I turn off the lights when I leave a room, I don't leave the water running when brushing my teeth ... give me this one vice.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

It was a novelty initially but became an annoyance very quickly in city-driving with stop and go traffic. Mine is usually deactivated these days. I do occasionally activate it when I know I will be stationary for more than a few minutes.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
I had an ActiveHybrid 5 loaner for a few days about a month ago, and Start/Stop drive me crazy - and I couldn't figure out how to defeat it on the hybrid.

It made life miserable in the car. This 5er had cushier tires and a slightly better ride than my 6er with 20" rims and RFTs, but it was so jerky at every stop and start that I hated the car. A Prius with a base MSRP of < $20,000 should not be a more comfortable car than a $77,000 Bimmer, period, amen. Aside from the tortoise-inspired throttle in EcoPro mode, this jerkiness was the worst part if the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit
Quote:

Even though I never have it activated, I don't mind it so much just tooling around on local.

But when I'm in stop-and-go traffic on the freeway, it becomes a big pain in the ass. There are times when I don't come to a stop long enough and the engine is in the process of shutting off and then I have to get up and go again. That just can't be good for the engine. So I just leave it off permanently.

I know it saves gas and cuts down on emissions. But this is one instance where the well-being of my car is more important than the well-being of the environment.

I recycle, I turn off the lights when I leave a room, I don't leave the water running when brushing my teeth ... give me this one vice.
well said. I usually cut corners to save electricity and water as well, but driving is one of my few guilty pleasures, so I won't hold back behind wheel! (Safely of course) lol. I deactivated the start/stop function like you said because like you, I didn't like coming to a slow stop, engine immediately stops, then has to start right back up because I'm in stop and go traffic. I didn't feel comfortable putting the car through that anymore. Thank all of you for your feedback on this matter. Enjoy the ride!
      03-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
Reeses83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes E550 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Good Morning All,

I would like to hear what you guys thing about the Start/Stop feature for the 650i GC.

Basically, most of my driving takes place on the city streets, so I deal with a lot of stop and go traffic, and traffic lights. When I picked up my car last week, the tech who walked me through the functions of the GC explained the Start/Stop feature to me very well, then suggested that I leave it active instead of turning it off, which was my original thought.

I understand that it is designed to increase fuel economy, but I was wondering what some of you may think about having the engine shut on and off 4-6 times within a 10 min time span. Could that be considered more harmful than good for the engine, and I should deacitvate this function...? Or do you think it is just fine to leave it activated, and I should just relax and enjoy the ride?

Let me know what you think about the Start/Stop feature on this amazing machine! Thanks in advance.
My car has stalled twice while using this feature. Needless to say, I no longer use this function.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
soldes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 X40I Flamenco Red

My first order of business when my 640i hit the dealership, was to deactivate this function Before I left the building after signing the papers. Have not missed it one bid..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

"4-6 times within a 10 min", I think that would be quite a distraction if anything. Cold engine start is bad for engine, so start/stop theoretically should not do any harm or wear engine prematurely. I turn it off in stop-and-go downtown traffic. I leave it on when driving in town with light traffic knowing that red light can be an extended stop unless I have a need to burn some car next to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:

I am not sure BMW says its not harmful. They do warn you the system can caused added wear on some components.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7
Quote:

I am not sure BMW says its not harmful. They do warn you the system can caused added wear on some components.
that is good to know. I keep it off for the most part because that is the type of thing that probably will cause long term engine problems that don't present themselves until afTer 4 years, or 50,000 miles.... whatever comes first, lol
      03-28-2013, 02:11 AM   #13
BartekF
Poland
Rep
Drives: F13 650i

In my opinion it does not make any sense to have start-stop function in car like BMW 6. I guess it’s just insane EU regulations which pushed BMW to install it (btw, as far as I remember early F13 models did no have it).
I’m not sure if anybody checked it in real life - I think start-stop does not really save fuel but even if it does a little, who cares about it having 6 and why?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #14
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I read somewhere once that S/S, if used regularly can save about 5~10%. But I agree - this technology has no business in a 6 series. But unfortunatly, the OEs have to meet fuel economy regulations any way they can. And you are correct Bart, my 2012 does not have this feature.
Appreciate 0