E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Spider Tuning Box - Forum Offer.

06-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #221
matjam
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d 177bhp

Rich,

Well remaps can be taken like tuning boxes, they all dont work the same. I know of some remaps that adjust certain data like fuel pressure, boost pressure etc and others just adjust one part of data and so on, depending on the developer and the same with tuning boxes, being CR pressure increase or PWM (pulse width modulation) or the extremely nasty (in my opinion) connect on the cold sensor!!

On the peizo system which is on some of the later cars like the BMW 2.0d 177bhp, increasing the common rail pressure will not give great results. Infact our tuning on the VAG group cars on there 170bhp 2.0tdi peizo system we have a world wide patent for. This means anyone that is producing or selling for this system (on VAG not BMW) without our consent could get into trouble. We invested heavily in this development hence why we patented our tuning method!

Totally agree about Bosch MAF's they should be either kept cleaner or replaced every 30-40k.

Also just one thing I would like to point out, I'm not advertising or mentioning our company on this website so I have nothing to gain through it, this is purely done because I wanted people to know (in my opinion) how tuning boxes and remaps work.
Everyone says 'oh a remap is better' its simply not the case, as a remap can be simply working in the same method as a tuning box. One down side to a remap is your not actually buying anything with your pennies (apart from some data that you will never see) atleast with a tuning box you do own something, something that be sold when you have finished with it and something that you (usually) have a warranty with !!!!

I think I will stop there now, I have expressed my opinion and hope readers have found it interesting (probably not listening to me waffle on!!) and hope i have shed some light on this topic.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #222
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
I for one have found it very interesting - many thanks to all who offered their expertise.
      06-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #223
CrimsonRedE93
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue E93 330d+

Garage List
I second that, an informative and constructive discussion, long may it continue
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #224
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Good stuff and I would agree with what Matjam has stated in regards to boxes v remaps, but................

Quote:
matjam
that you (usually) have a warranty with !!!!
What warranty does the company you work for offer? and how would it protect a punter should BMW state that the tuning box was directly responsible for a blown turbo, or any other engine component that could be affected?

Ok a hypothetical scenario, but I would be interested in the answer, not only from your company, but any company offering the same product.

I am well aware of my remap warranty, I don't have one!

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 11:37 AM   #225
matjam
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d 177bhp

Hotcoupe,

When I said warranty I actually meant on the product that you purchased. Warranty on a vehicle which has been modified could be very interesting. I have heard of companies offering it but please read the small print as a lot of them are not worth the paper they are written on!!!

We dont offer such a warranty on the vehicles as as everyone knows cars do go wrong unmodified (hence the amount of garages). It would be pointless as the manufacturer would use it as an escape route everytime. The earlier BMW 320d 150hp are common for turbo problems usually 70k -100k they blow and thats on unmodified cars.

If a car develops a problem and caused by a faulty module then we have insurance to cover that. We offer sensible and realistic gains up to about 25% increase, this keeps the power within the manufacturers tolerances and doesnt put abnormal strains on the engine or transmission. NONE of this 40% power increase which i keep reading in magazine adverts (Not even going to comment on them!!).
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #226
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Sorry Matjam, I misunderstood your original post and thought you were offering some form of warranty on a car running your product.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #227
agh!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 320d SE

Noticed that gizze has been quite prolific with the post about the original deal on these spider boxes across several forums

In any case, ordered one myself today and spoke to Mike about the offer which expired a while back.
The new offer price is £383.34 which includes VAT and UK delivery.

Still seems a good deal considering full price is £375 + VAT + deliver coming to about £450.

It'll be middle of next week before I get it fitted to my E91 320d 163bhp.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 05:16 AM   #228
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by agh! View Post
Noticed that gizze has been quite prolific with the post about the original deal on these spider boxes across several forums

In any case, ordered one myself today and spoke to Mike about the offer which expired a while back.

Still seems a good deal considering full price is £375 + VAT + deliver coming to about £450.

Was about to ring them when I saw this - that's a raise of £80 - I know it's been 4 months but seems to me "not an offer"!!

I need to map or box mine as I've started to browse for 330/335 - If I get a box/map then the urge may pass........ for a while!!!
      08-21-2008, 05:26 AM   #229
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
That's cause I asked Mike if he could do a forum offer, and in return I would post up on all the forums so he sold a few.

You got yours yet??
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 05:31 AM   #230
andy69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90-320d

Quote:

let us know how you get on with it

im interested in getting one but dont want to pay that money, maybe someone will want to sell one second hand with a bit of luck....
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 06:55 AM   #231
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I know this has been asked (but I don't think answered) a couple of times throughout this thread, but does anyone have experience of the Spider on a 335d?

I'm liking the idea of an extra 40hp & 90Nm, that's removeable when you need to, but how would this affect the warranty (car's only 7 months old)? I'm assuming that during a service, the dealer will be able to trace that something's been plugged in?

Enjoyed the technical content thus far, although I admit that I don't understand all of it!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 08:26 AM   #232
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
I know this has been asked (but I don't think answered) a couple of times throughout this thread, but does anyone have experience of the Spider on a 335d?

I'm liking the idea of an extra 40hp & 90Nm, that's removeable when you need to, but how would this affect the warranty (car's only 7 months old)? I'm assuming that during a service, the dealer will be able to trace that something's been plugged in?

Enjoyed the technical content thus far, although I admit that I don't understand all of it!
Get a Re-map mate would be my advice.
      08-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #233
spandeli
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320D M Sport Auto

OK, ive got a question.

If these tuning boxes and remaps, can do such an increase in Power and Torque gains, and give better fuel consumption of up to 25%, why on earth BMW don't install such a box originally in their cars, if its that safe, and they had to create a new twin turbo 123d engine to give very similar results like the ones you get from a simple tuning box, or a remap.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #234
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

What about the buyer who uses their car at -50ºc during the winter and then at +50ºc during the summer??

What about the buyer who wants it to only be 140bhp or 175bhp for insurance reasons or output less than 150g/km co2 for tax reasons??

What about the increase that BMW want to bring in themselves when the engine has been about for a few years???

There are loads of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #235
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

We will see BMW bring out a car with 200bhp on this single turbo engine, and we will see the 123d engine with 245bhp in a car before it is replaced too.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #236
spandeli
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320D M Sport Auto

ok i get your point..

well yeah, i do drive my car +50ºc during the summer tbh.. will this harm my engine if i do go the remap way?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #237
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

You do have to be more careful at the extremes, and you do tend to get some seriously hot temperatures on the island, but as long as you look after your car, make sure it is serviced regularly etc. then you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 07:05 AM   #238
agh!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
That's cause I asked Mike if he could do a forum offer, and in return I would post up on all the forums so he sold a few.

You got yours yet??
Mmm, I'm not getting e-mail notifications for updates to this thread.

Answer is, no, not arrived yet and was told Tuesday/Wednesday, Friday now. I'll chase up next Monday lunchtime if it has not arrived
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2008, 07:08 AM   #239
agh!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy69 View Post
let us know how you get on with it

im interested in getting one but dont want to pay that money, maybe someone will want to sell one second hand with a bit of luck....
Will do.
I've gone the tuning box route as it's my first time doing this sort of thing and I'm more comfortable with the idea of being able to remove it myself whenever I want to and it's nice to be able to re-sell it or get it re-programmed for another car in future.

I've researched tuning methods enough to know a "good" re-map is technically a better solution with the wider variety of "parameters" that it can change. It's something I'll most likely be more comfortable with next time around.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #240
agh!
Private First Class
Rep

Well the Spider box arrived during Friday at home.
That evening after dinner, having already read the instructuions, I popped out to fit it while waiting for the kettle to boil. OK, it's not quite that quick to fit, just a few minutes, followed by several removals and re-fitting of the engine cover over the next 24 hours to get rid of the vibration noise introduced. I think it's quite easy to get the engine cover positioned so it touchs somewhere towards the bulk head. It's OK now.

First drive out was just 5 miles and, well, nothing different. It does say in the instructions it takes 50 miles for it to self adjust and sure enough over around 50 miles the increased torque and power gradually blossomed into life. I've done 120 miles with it now.
If you are looking for a dramatic punch in the back fair ground ride you will be dissappointed. The power delivery is very civilised, more so than before as it's smoother, after a while you can tell flat spots are gone and that getting up to speed is less effort and drama. Cruising along nothing is different, give the accelerator a prod and you may notice the instantaneous MPG meter takes a rapid dive toward's 0 MPG at the same time the speedometer needle sweeps round noticebly quicker than before and the scenery starts rushing past quicker than you are used to. Sure you can feel a bit more push at your back but it's nothing dramatic.
The end result is all the better for it for my tastes. It does not feel like it's putting the car to any undue strain or pressure which gives me the confidence to leave the tuning box in place doing it's thing. I'll keep using Millers Diesel Sport 4 fuel additive to keep injectors etc. as clean as possible and keep the fuel as good as it can be.
One of the things that started to bug me about my 320d was the diesel drone on a slog up a long hill, not very refined. With the extra power and torque I find the car wafts up to speed (70-80mph arrives in no time) and into cruising gear much sooner which keeps the drive more relaxed and refined.
Not that it gets near a 6 pot diesel for refinement, but for performance I would say my car now has the edge over the 197bhp E60 525d automatic M Sport I drove a couple of months ago - very similar power delivery as best as I can remember.

Too soon to measure what is happening to fuel consumption, the OBC is still reading 47mpg as it was before fitting the box, I have not reset it yet. I'll start measuring next tank full. It's going to be a bit tricky getting a feel for how fuel consumption is affected as I will be having a break from commuting over the next 2 tanks of fuel, so it may be into October before I really get a good measurement for comparison.

In all it's a worthwhile modification, overtaking is interesting, you don't half get past the thing your overtaking and back on the safe side of the road quicker now, just don't expect too much adrenaline and excitement, it's "civilised".
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 06:46 PM   #241
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

It just increases everything, so it will be the same as stock in theory, just more of it.

I would see where the jumper is set and move it towards the top setting, you will get a noticeable increase doing that.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 01:52 AM   #242
andy69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90-320d

Quote:
Well the Spider box arrived during Friday at home.
That evening after dinner, having already read the instructuions, I popped out to fit it while waiting for the kettle to boil. OK, it's not quite that quick to fit, just a few minutes, followed by several removals and re-fitting of the engine cover over the next 24 hours to get rid of the vibration noise introduced. I think it's quite easy to get the engine cover positioned so it touchs somewhere towards the bulk head. It's OK now.

First drive out was just 5 miles and, well, nothing different. It does say in the instructions it takes 50 miles for it to self adjust and sure enough over around 50 miles the increased torque and power gradually blossomed into life. I've done 120 miles with it now.
If you are looking for a dramatic punch in the back fair ground ride you will be dissappointed. The power delivery is very civilised, more so than before as it's smoother, after a while you can tell flat spots are gone and that getting up to speed is less effort and drama. Cruising along nothing is different, give the accelerator a prod and you may notice the instantaneous MPG meter takes a rapid dive toward's 0 MPG at the same time the speedometer needle sweeps round noticebly quicker than before and the scenery starts rushing past quicker than you are used to. Sure you can feel a bit more push at your back but it's nothing dramatic.
The end result is all the better for it for my tastes. It does not feel like it's putting the car to any undue strain or pressure which gives me the confidence to leave the tuning box in place doing it's thing. I'll keep using Millers Diesel Sport 4 fuel additive to keep injectors etc. as clean as possible and keep the fuel as good as it can be.
One of the things that started to bug me about my 320d was the diesel drone on a slog up a long hill, not very refined. With the extra power and torque I find the car wafts up to speed (70-80mph arrives in no time) and into cruising gear much sooner which keeps the drive more relaxed and refined.
Not that it gets near a 6 pot diesel for refinement, but for performance I would say my car now has the edge over the 197bhp E60 525d automatic M Sport I drove a couple of months ago - very similar power delivery as best as I can remember.

Too soon to measure what is happening to fuel consumption, the OBC is still reading 47mpg as it was before fitting the box, I have not reset it yet. I'll start measuring next tank full. It's going to be a bit tricky getting a feel for how fuel consumption is affected as I will be having a break from commuting over the next 2 tanks of fuel, so it may be into October before I really get a good measurement for comparison.

In all it's a worthwhile modification, overtaking is interesting, you don't half get past the thing your overtaking and back on the safe side of the road quicker now, just don't expect too much adrenaline and excitement, it's "civilised".
Thanks for the write up, once ive sorted out my tyres then this could be the next thing on the list
Appreciate 0