E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum > EAS: Questionable Ethics?

04-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 Silver

Thumbs down EAS: Questionable Ethics?

Ok, this is three months in the making, and yes, it's only in regards to less than 30 dollars. BUT... it's the principle that matters and I won't buy from them again because of this.

In January I was gathering products for my stereo install. I sourced a MoBridge DA1000, a $700 piece of electronic equipment that allows the digital MOST connection to be converted to a regular optical digital out. When I recieved the unit, the box had already been opened, the brushed aluminum case had been visibly scratched, the wiring harness had been cut, and there was 0 documentation inside.

I thought I recieved a used and returned product. I asked EAS to send me a new unit, that was not used or scratched, and I would send the used one back. The response I got back was that the unit needed to have it's firmware updated for this particular BMW model, and that was the reason for the box being opened. The scratches on the brushed aluminum case (i supplied documented pictures) was explained away as part of the case, and it came this way from the manufacturer.

None of this made sense, but I was assured that the unit was brand new and that the unit would work as advertised. $700 and you think you might get something that actually looks brand new, right? Well, I didn't see any need in fighting a battle that I didn't think I was going to win, so I believed the response from EAS that the unit would work as advertised.

My install has taken a bit longer than I expected, but I was able to wrap things up a few weeks ago. I plugged everything in, wired it all up, and... no sound. I found through some troubleshooting that the DA1000 was the problem and that is was not working correctly.

Through some correspondence with with EAS as well as MoBridge, it turns out that the DA1000 was never actually flashed to the right tune. It was never flashed at all. I took it upon myself to learn how to flash it (user updatable), tried twice, but ended up failing both times because the unit was bricked. MoBridge was happy enough to take the unit and fix it, and is now sending it back to me.

During this time I was asking myself a few questions: If it was bricked, how was it brand new? If EAS had flashed it like they said, why was it not flashed? Why were there scratches on the unit and the box opened if EAS never went in to flash the right tune? The only logical conclusion I have, is that they sold me a dead unit, knowingly or unknowingly, but either way it was dead, and obviously been used before. That is the only explanation I can come up with.

I ask these same questions to my contact at EAS but never got an answer.

DESPITE ALL THIS, all I wanted from EAS was for them to cover the cost of shipping the unit back to MoBridge, so it could be fixed/flashed like it should have been in the first place. A measly 25 or so dollars. I wasn’t asking for a return. I wasn’t asking for a brand new unit. I simply wanted the unit to work for the price that I paid for it, 699 plus shipping. Now, for me to use the unit, I not only have lost time, but also lost money on additional shipping.

It may seem like a small deal to some, but I haven’t received any apology, or response, or statement that EAS will or will not honor my request. For a company to leave a customer hanging, to not even respond to multiple emails to multiple email addresses at EAS, is quite literally appalling.

What does it take for a company to stand up to some type of standard now a days? Where are people’s ethics? Does good “customer service” even exist anymore?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 01:19 AM   #2
playstereo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I 2008

Around 9 or 10 months ago I went there to get my taillights coded for LEDs and EAS loaded a VO (vehicle order) for an E92 instead of mind E90, I had a problem with my DTC one of the sensors was bad on my car took it for service. The car end up being there for over 8 days at the end the dealer figure out that the wrong VO was coded into the car
it cost it over $800.00 dollars went I sent an email to EAS to Tom his answer was
I can code the car back to stock for you. but in reality I wanted him to pay for the bill that dealer charged me. You figure that they know about coding. But the lesson was learned. never came back again.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
I'm not trying to defend EAS, as bad experiences suck (and I've had my share), but it doesn't help when you leave a few details out that can make a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyjman View Post
I ask these same questions to my contact at EAS but never got an answer.
I'm assuming you explicitly asked for a refund? If so, how long ago was that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstereo View Post
The car end up being there for over 8 days at the end the dealer figure out that the wrong VO was coded into the car it cost it over $800.00 dollars went I sent an email to EAS to Tom his answer was I can code the car back to stock for you. but in reality I wanted him to pay for the bill that dealer charged me. You figure that they know about coding. But the lesson was learned. never came back again.
The dealer would have been required to give you a written quote and your approval to proceed with it, so why did you pay $800 to the dealer instead of seeing if EAS would fix it? Not only that, you say he offered to code it back, but you don't say you actually asked him to cover the bill, just that you wanted him to. Besides, was the $800 for the wrong VO or the total DTC repair? Because EAS would only be responsible for the coding portion.

Last edited by skinrock; 04-29-2011 at 02:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
I'm not trying to defend EAS, as bad experiences suck (and I've had my share), but it doesn't help when you leave a few details out that can make a huge difference.

I'm assuming you explicitly asked for a refund? If so, how long ago was that?

The dealer would have been required to give you a written quote and your approval to proceed with it, so why did you pay $800 to the dealer instead of seeing if EAS would fix it? Not only that, you say he offered to code it back, but you don't say you actually asked him to cover the bill, just that you wanted him to. Besides, was the $800 for the wrong VO or the total DTC repair? Because EAS would only be responsible for the coding portion.
why are you picking apart his short synoposis of what happened? I'm sure anyone with common sense did the things that you think he didn't do. Why bust someone's chops for EAS inability to do their purported job effectively. It's EAS who really should be responsible enough to own up to their mistakes.

In my case, Tom just passed the buck on to MoBridge, said he didn't want to deal with the customer. I have that quoted in an email. Who does that? Still no responses from EAS to this date.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyjman View Post
why are you picking apart his short synoposis of what happened? I'm sure anyone with common sense did the things that you think he didn't do. Why bust someone's chops for EAS inability to do their purported job effectively. It's EAS who really should be responsible enough to own up to their mistakes.

In my case, Tom just passed the buck on to MoBridge, said he didn't want to deal with the customer. I have that quoted in an email. Who does that? Still no responses from EAS to this date.
If you're going to write a negative review, it shouldn't bother you if someone asks questions. So yes, I'm picking it apart because there is no clarification on how the $800 repair was divvied up or what the context was of the email sent to EAS. I absolutely agree that they did not perform the job as expected, but the question is what monetary value should they be held accountable for?

Your situation is definitely unfortunate. It is in my opinion that paid vendors should be required to respond to threads like these (and maybe it is), so hopefully you will get some resolve.
      04-30-2011, 05:22 AM   #6
Shazmonkee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Garage List
Skinrock, based on what I read from the OP and the playstereo, it appears pretty straightforward to me. Only someone without common sense wouldn't know what the OP or playstereo would've responded to EAS or the dealership
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Why is it hard for companies to realize that retaining returning clients will more than double profits. Lower acquisition costs, and a common bigger 2nd time purchases doubles the profit versus a new customer that orders the same gear once and then doesn't return.

Would you lose a customer over 25 dollars?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #8
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

I signed in just so I can say *thumbsdown* to EAS.

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I've had several experiences with EAS that could have turned bad very quickly but EAS attempted to rectify the situation each time. So overall I am pleased with their customer service

To make a very long story very short, I TWICE received a defective pair of AngeliBrights from them. One of those pairs damaged one of my headlights to the point where the angel eyes on one side wouldn't illuminate properly. EAS contacted the manufacturer and had them send me a new headlight. I didn't even have to send in the defective headlight until I got the new one in, which is pretty great customer service IMO.

My only gripe was that they wouldn't reimburse me for the ~$80 shipping cost to send in my defective headlight.
      04-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #10
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazmonkee View Post
Skinrock, based on what I read from the OP and the playstereo, it appears pretty straightforward to me. Only someone without common sense wouldn't know what the OP or playstereo would've responded to EAS or the dealership
Right except then you get a response like TiAg335i above who says they tried to help him out. I don't know why this concept of clarifying two small details is going over your heads.