BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

04-04-2020, 11:11 PM   #1
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Comp

OPF/PPF M135i exhaust

I was researching on Otto Particle Filter - OPF on the M135i.. if anyone is interested. I was wondering:
1) If the Aus version does have an opf
2) If I can delete mine in order to get some decent sound

I found the answer after reading through some of the M2 forums and it turns out that the Aus version does have an opf. Basically all M135i in Aus are euro 6 compliant ☹

It presents an issue for me because I cannot go to my local exhaust shop and delete the opf without a tune done to eliminate running issues like error codes and/or the car going into limp mode.

There are two options so far that I know of that can get rid of the error codes generated when the sensors detect a difference in exhaust flow (due to the removal of opf)
1) a tune or
2) installing a manhart chip that disables the 02 sensor

So until I find a tuner or buy the chip, I will have to settle for an axle back exhaust.

I found this website WebETK that gives you more info on the opf's and other car parts in general. You will need to enter your VIN details to bring up your vehicle. S1DEA is the OPF code.

If anyone has any info on how to get more sound, please share!

I took a pic of what I think is the opf and resonator? Not sure yet
Attached Images

Last edited by knali8; 05-01-2020 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 2
MrFoxy372.50
JustChris17426.00
      04-05-2020, 02:50 AM   #2
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i. G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by knali8 View Post
I was researching on Otto Particle Filter - OPF on the M135i.. if anyone is interested. I was wondering:

I found the answer after reading through some of the M2 forums and it turns out that the Aus version does have an opf. Basically all M135i in Aus are euro 6 compliant ☹

It presents an issue for me because I cannot go to my local exhaust shop and delete the opf without a tune done to eliminate running issues like error codes and/or the car going into limp mode.

There are two options so far that I know of that can get rid of the error codes generated when the sensors detect a difference in exhaust flow (due to the removal of opf)
1) a tune or

So until I find a tuner or buy the chip, I will have to settle for an axle back exhaust.

I found this website WebETK that gives you more info on the opf's and other car parts in general. You will need to enter your VIN details to bring up your vehicle. S1DEA is the OPF code.

Good work getting this far mate! Good to see there is guys trying to find a work around. This isn't great news but at least there trying 🤞🏼
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 08:14 AM   #3
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFoxy View Post
Good work getting this far mate! Good to see there is guys trying to find a work around. This isn't great news but at least there trying 🤞🏼
True.. I hope they can sort it out..bmw could have easily written a software that detects slow exhaust gases only i.e if airflow < expected engine air speed then 'error code' (meaning its a clogged opf) leaving a greater flow of air through the exhaust system as a: happy owner probably modifying their car
Appreciate 1
MrFoxy372.50
      04-19-2020, 03:48 AM   #4
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

https://drivetribe.com/p/the-opf-pan...ThCm-2lSYEj0AA

Good read this! If your a little confused " like me" about exactly what can/can't be done on our cars regarding sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 09:35 AM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:

Good read this! If your a little confused " like me" about exactly what can/can't be done on our cars regarding sound.
Bloody Dieselgate and the bunch of money grabbing idiots at VW really just played right into the Brussels bureaucrats hands.

Pic under my car now with the Remus back box, just out of shot on the RHS and obviously the right hand pipe is the valve. I recall someone asking me that on IG, wonder if different regions have it on the other side.

The car is so low now that without help I can't get a decent angle for further in to show the dreaded OPFfffffff
Attached Images

04-19-2020, 01:51 PM   #6
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Bloody Dieselgate and the bunch of money grabbing idiots at VW really just played right into the Brussels bureaucrats hands.

Pic under my car now with the Remus back box, just out of shot on the RHS and obviously the right hand pipe is the valve. I recall someone asking me that on IG, wonder if different regions have it on the other side.

The car is so low now that without help I can't get a decent angle for further in to show the dreaded OPFfffffff
Not 100% sure but this looks like a fix? if anyone is mechanically minded your opinion would be good. As I've no idea how or how easy this would be to fit.

https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bm...xhaust.aspx#!/
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 02:00 PM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Not 100% sure but this looks like a fix? if anyone is mechanically minded your opinion would be good. As I've no idea how or how easy this would be to fit.

https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bm...xhaust.aspx#!/
You legend, not seen those.

Assume there would need to be some sort of ECU work too though to mug off the OPF sensors?
      04-19-2020, 02:06 PM   #8
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
You legend, not seen those.

Assume there would need to be some sort of ECU work too though to mug off the OPF sensors?
I thought the same mate, wasn't really wanting to go anywhere near the ECU...but can't see any other way.

our warranty would be fcuked but, what's gonna go wrong when the gasses are still flowing the same way! just a little faster lol.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17426.00
      04-20-2020, 03:37 AM   #9
Stan_Brook
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Quote:

The valve on my stock car is on the left as I unplugged it....... yours is on the right though?

Remus looks nice though. Any videos?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 03:44 AM   #10
Stan_Brook
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I thought the same mate, wasn't really wanting to go anywhere near the ECU...but can't see any other way.

our warranty would be fcuked but, what's gonna go wrong when the gasses are still flowing the same way! just a little faster lol.
I am in the same boat - don’t want to touch ECU and think I am going to stick at that.

Milltek came back to me and they are in early stages of development but obviously all on hold for now.

I might wait 6 months or so to see how everyone gets on and wait for some videos / sound clips to appear before committing.
Appreciate 1
MrFoxy372.50
      04-20-2020, 05:13 AM   #11
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

yep now on the right, odd!

I did have a video but it's nothign impressive, you can hear it on one of the Motech videos of another Storm Bay car. The tone while drigin is actually very nice, but I don't have kit to video that. Revving at Idle is nice until anyone lifts off Then without pops and bangs it just a flywheel decelerating! lol

Genuinely though the Remus is nice.

On another note I also had that Pipercross filter added, you can for sure hear a little more induction >4000/4500 RPM. Still only on sub 400 miles so not too much WOT throttle as yet.

Finally in my random update. I contacted DMS over the weekend, they claim 415BHP from the 2020 model M135is. Wowsers. Still unlikely to be my route due to warranty.

Want to see what ACS come out with first.

PS I will grab a pic of the RHS valve today.
      04-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #12
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

I did have a video but it's nothign impressive, you can hear it on one of the Motech videos of another Storm Bay car. The tone while drigin is actually very nice, but I don't have kit to video that. Revving at Idle is nice until anyone lifts off Then without pops and bangs it just a flywheel decelerating! lol

On another note I also had that Pipercross filter added, you can for sure hear a little more induction >4000/4500 RPM. Still only on sub 400 miles so not too much WOT throttle as yet.
Finally in my random update. I contacted DMS over the weekend, they claim 415BHP from the 2020 model M135is. Wowsers. Still unlikely to be my route due to warranty.

I was on the phone to DMS myself at the weekend mate, the 415bph was a bit of a shock, to be honest.

He did say he could "smash the OPF code" on the ECU, which makes me think that mine will sound amazing and yours sound epic.

Yours even more so with that exhaust OPF delete part.

Whats ACS mate?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 10:27 AM   #13
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I was on the phone to DMS myself at the weekend mate, the 415bph was a bit of a shock, to be honest.

He did say he could "smash the OPF code" on the ECU, which makes me think that mine will sound amazing and yours sound epic.

Yours even more so with that exhaust OPF delete part.

Whats ACS mate?
Same, I was pretty shocked and if honest a bit sceptical of reliability of 415.

AC Snitzer. Expensive but of interest as the warranty remains intact with a bit of BMW official support.

I guess my dream would be:-

Pops & Bangs
350+ I'm not convinced more on the platform is a good idea
OPF taken out somehow but no limp mode or warranty issues

I think above is too much to ask within warranty, at least one of OPF and Pops needs ECU. It if anyone can do it within warranty they have have my dollar dollar dollar.
      04-20-2020, 01:24 PM   #14
Stan_Brook
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Do we think that right hand drive cars have valve on the left and maybe the valve is on the other side for some crazy reason for left hand drive? Maybe that is why Remus have chosen to put the valve that side? So Motech have extended the lead for the valve - wonder if you get said extension / fly lead if you purchase the exhaust separately although so far I have only seen it avail through Motech.

I don’t exactly sit in the car park at Halford revving my engine so not too worried about the sound of the slow flywheel when lifting off! So long as it sounds better within the car that will do me!

The FI system sounds amazing but that is a full decat OPF out and ECU job so that’s out the window for me.

Might order a filter - not really done much of this sort of thing in the past but will kill 15 mins of lockdown! Waiting for my paycheque to come through from HMRC this month for a change!

Bit wary of the DMS map too - crazy gains can’t be good for the engine unless it’s going back after a year! Also there is a guy on the Facebook group who has had it done but sounded like a shambles. No dyno run for any proof of gains either yet... From what I know they are a really reputable company though.....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 05:46 PM   #15
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

I came across this article too.. the options provided are restricting. Its cost a bit more to do everything!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 05:51 PM   #16
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

I was the one that asked if the value position had changed

I can imagine how low the car is now. Where does the other pipe (not the exhaust outlet) on the right of the pic lead to?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 06:39 PM   #17
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Sounds good. I reckon 400ish hp would be perfect. Would you need hardware changes to go with the tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #18
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

So I got a custom Y pipe installed (muffler delete or axel back system) and was surprised how much sound was being suppressed by the stock m exhaust system.

The small muffler/resonator after the OPF is in place to give the exhaust system a deep sound. I was surprised how much sound you can get even with the OPF in place (borderline extreme) with valves open. There is a bit of an air sound (engine pushing air through the system) when accelerating hard because of the OPF.

Video clip shows the car revving in comfort then sport mode (valves open) and then a drive from picking up groceries . I had the exhaust valve closed while driving but the car in sport mode.

Last edited by knali8; 04-22-2020 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
MrFoxy372.50
      04-23-2020, 01:31 PM   #19
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
So I got a custom Y pipe installed (muffler delete or axel back system) and was surprised how much sound was being suppressed by the stock m exhaust system.

The small muffler/resonator after the OPF is in place to give the exhaust system a deep sound. I was surprised how much sound you can get even with the OPF in place (borderline extreme) with valves open. There is a bit of an air sound (engine pushing air through the system) when accelerating hard because of the OPF.

Video clip shows the car revving in comfort then sport mode (valves open) and then a drive from picking up groceries . I had the exhaust valve closed while driving but the car in sport mode.

Is yours a 2020 car mate?

If so does it drone when in comfort?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #20
Stan_Brook
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

1) a tune or

I was crawling around under my car last night trying to see what was underneath and my exhaust (uk) looks nothing like this. Your pic shows two separate looking parts to the exhaust where on my car it is one single larger and longer box. My car sounds nothing like yours either unfortunately!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #21
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Is yours a 2020 car mate?

If so does it drone when in comfort?
No mate.. Mines a Sept 2019 build. I don't have any drone when valves are closed as the exhaust gases pass through a straight piped muffler, cancelling out the drone waves. Its good for normal driving. There is the slightest drone when valves are open but only when changing gears otherwise A-ok.

This is the set up I went for. This is not mine but the setup is exactly the same.
Attached Images

Last edited by knali8; 04-23-2020 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
MrFoxy372.50
      04-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #22
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_Brook View Post
I was crawling around under my car last night trying to see what was underneath and my exhaust (uk) looks nothing like this. Your pic shows two separate looking parts to the exhaust where on my car it is one single larger and longer box. My car sounds nothing like yours either unfortunately!
Oh really.. that's good to know because it appears they manufacture different OPF's for different countries. I know they did some changes on the 2020 models, so I wonder if the 2019 uk models have a similar set up to mine.
Appreciate 0