E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New feature!!

11-12-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

New feature!!

I found a new feature that I never know about...
I know whenever someone finds a new feature, a bunch of people already know about it, but there are always a few who dont. so sorry if this is old news to you, or common sense..
anyway...
ever since i got my car i have noticed a small icon in the top right of the navi menu, and i knew it meant something, but i couldnt highlight it, or anything. now i figured it out and it makes perfect sense.
from any menu with this icon, you can jump all the way to the another menu from holding the idrive in that direction.
FOR EXAMPLE: If you are doing SOMETHING in the navigation menu, whatever menu or submenu you are in, if it has that little icon with 4 colored squares, you can hold the idrive button to the left, and it will jump all the way to the climate menu.
If you are in any communication menu or sub menu that has that icon, you can hold the idrive button up and it will jump to the entertainment menu.
Sorry for the long post. now that i know how to do this, i feel stupid and it feels like common sense. so most of you guys might know this. but i think i will use it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Ummmm no offense but THAT IS THE WHOLE iDRIVE CONCEPT!!!! Read the manual!!!! Best of luck!
(I am just messing but in all seriousness read the manual, lots of stuff in there!)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
cdheaven
Rep

i have read the majority of the manual, and i dont REMEMBER this. i learned in the manual that from the main menu, you can either click towards the direction you wanna go and then push down ORRRR you can just hold the idrive button in that direction and it will go straight down. MAYBE after reading that i should have ASSUMED that from ANYWHERE on the navigation the same thing applies. but i dont like to assume. and im glad you already knew this. you should post some of the other information that you know. if you teach ONE or TWO people something that the missed in the menu. youre thread was worth while. i promise
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 12:41 PM   #4
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I have actually noticed this recently as well and I did not read the manual
      11-12-2005, 12:44 PM   #5
cdheaven
Rep

vats up? or ish no think so?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 01:24 PM   #6
joony79
mOOnarchy
Rep
Drives: 330i SG

Garage List
2006 330I  [0.00]
I didn't know about it thanks a lot ^^
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

i like the eta on the nav top and centre and its not in my book at least.

thanks for the info heaven (we should thank everyones contribution) but not wanting to rain on your parade, my 14 yearvold son who LOVESidrive found it out on day 1. he was fiddling (aka learning) and showed me.

its great finding all these neat little extras we missed till now.

enjoy your new find heaven.

cheers
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 04:38 PM   #8
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

What is not in the manual:

That with the newer software 19+ you can use voice command to spell locations, street names etc.

If you unlock your car at a distance the iDrive has more time to load up and you can cut the BMW screen time down to a minimum.

What I will do is make a list of all the features of iDrive, in simple terms, when I get some f-ing time.

You can also if you have the bluetooth and bluetooth phone setup call a place such as a Hotel via the info portion.

BTW it states the slide function on pg. 18 in the owners manual. As: Convenient call-up of menus..... Switch directly between Communication, Navigation, Entertainment, and climate without having to press the MENU button. To do so, move the controller in the corresponding direction and hold it for longer than approx. 2 seconds.

Basically what sliding the controller over in any screen does is takes you back to the previous menu/screen you were in in that area of iDrive. Like the back arrow on a web browser.

Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 12:16 AM   #9
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I think it was member mwie that told me this to help me remember which direction was for what:

Forward: It points to the outside of the car, and when you use your Bluetooth, you communicate with people outside of the car

Back: For entertainment, because it's for the benefit of everyone in the vehicle

Right: Navigation, because the person sitting in the passenger's seat (LHD) is usually the one to give you navigation directions

Left: Toward the driver (again, LHD) because the climate controls are mainly used to make the driver optimally comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 01:52 AM   #10
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe
I think it was member mwie that told me this to help me remember which direction was for what:

Forward: It points to the outside of the car, and when you use your Bluetooth, you communicate with people outside of the car

Back: For entertainment, because it's for the benefit of everyone in the vehicle

Right: Navigation, because the person sitting in the passenger's seat (LHD) is usually the one to give you navigation directions

Left: Toward the driver (again, LHD) because the climate controls are mainly used to make the driver optimally comfortable.

That's quite catchy....I like it
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 04:09 AM   #11
billgti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdheaven
vats up? or ish no think so?
wah wah wee wah.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 08:12 AM   #12
darkside
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia
i like the eta on the nav top and centre and its not in my book at least.

thanks for the info heaven (we should thank everyones contribution) but not wanting to rain on your parade, my 14 yearvold son who LOVESidrive found it out on day 1. he was fiddling (aka learning) and showed me.

its great finding all these neat little extras we missed till now.

enjoy your new find heaven.

cheers
The fact that your 14 year old son figured it out doesn't mean it is obvious. Last night I was having trouble with a feature on my cell phone, so I handed it to my 17 year old daughter and she figured it out in 10 seconds. And I am the one with 4 degrees. Younger people just think digital. I, for one, appreciate any and all help I can get.
Appreciate 0