BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-22-2022, 10:56 AM   #5743
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Haven't listened to the clip yet, but what in a nutshell summary concerns you about the States? Or bullet points?

See, my wife and I did toy with the idea of moving to the States a while back (less likely now, but still in the back of our minds) because our government just seems completely stupid when it comes to Covid and they are destroying kids spirits, education, and lives. All while preaching that they "care" about kids. But schools are back in, and so as long as that continues, we're less likely to move.

But when we look at the States, they seem to be handling Covid normally...like it should. Where it doesn't have a huge impact on day to day lives. So we sort of see it as a bastion of normality. But it concerns me to hear one of their citizens seem to express the same concerns that I have up here.

Plus I can't help but think I'm going to get shot if I lived in the States just pumping gas or some crap. Or road rage. I don't know that that is realistic, but there seem to be a crap ton of murders there compared to Canada.
I think it depends a lot on where you live on either side of the border. The US has 10x the population of Canada, the murder rate per capita is higher but if you take the outliers out of the equation, Chicago, Baltimore, LA etc the numbers tend to line up a bit more.

The video covers a lot of ground but the essence is the direction the US is going in many areas politically (and not unlike what's happening in Canada) is have a negative impact on the country. Take 16 min and watch it.

I don't want to make this political because that get's threads shut down really fast on this forum. The fact is western democracies have become very divided politically, you may or may not like Fox or Tucker Carlson but the points he makes without the rhetoric are on point.
Appreciate 4
      04-22-2022, 10:57 AM   #5744
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
From the article: And if you look closely at the picture the drugs are there. The other items on the table aren't necessarily illegal, however I suspect the people that were arrested didn't have permits for the guns.

suspected crystal methamphetamine estimated at $560,000
cocaine
hydromorphone
oxycodone
Morphine
Psilocybin
Methylphenidate
Lorazepam
Exactly. That should all be legal.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 10:58 AM   #5745
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Exactly. That should all be legal.
ok
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 11:07 AM   #5746
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Haven't listened to the clip yet, but what in a nutshell summary concerns you about the States? Or bullet points?

See, my wife and I did toy with the idea of moving to the States a while back (less likely now, but still in the back of our minds) because our government just seems completely stupid when it comes to Covid and they are destroying kids spirits, education, and lives. All while preaching that they "care" about kids. But schools are back in, and so as long as that continues, we're less likely to move.

But when we look at the States, they seem to be handling Covid normally...like it should. Where it doesn't have a huge impact on day to day lives. So we sort of see it as a bastion of normality. But it concerns me to hear one of their citizens seem to express the same concerns that I have up here.

Plus I can't help but think I'm going to get shot if I lived in the States just pumping gas or some crap. Or road rage. I don't know that that is realistic, but there seem to be a crap ton of murders there compared to Canada.
I haven't watched the video either, but just as a response to your post;

Ehhhhhhh I wouldnt say we are handling COVID normally or how it should be. It's calmed down a lot recently, but I think thats because people have started to not care what the gubberment says and have started to go back to their normal lives. But the restrictions have trickled down to our children now also. Schools have been the target a lot lately for COVID restrictions, masks, etc, at least in my area.

Regarding murders and such, you also have to remember that our population and land mass is huge compared to a lot of other places, and when comparing stats that needs to be considered. Also, our media has free reign to report anything they want and however they want, and since we seem to hunger for negativity thats what the media focuses on. Plus with our social and political divide crap going on each side really pushes the narrative. There is still so much good happening everyday that far outweighs the bad, but it's not in the media because it doesn't benefit their ratings or their objectives.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 4
      04-22-2022, 11:18 AM   #5747
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Back on topic, sort-of, I had another state trooper tell me I should go to the academy. That makes #4 in the past 5 years now. Plus my buddy who keeps trying to get me to be an officer in AZ with him.

I'm too old to make that switch now, but I'm starting to think I missed my calling

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      04-22-2022, 11:32 AM   #5748
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
How fast is the moon travelling? Asking for a friend.
The Moon spins on its own axis at 10.3 MPH.

The Moon orbits Earth at a speed of 2,288 miles per hour.

The Moon travels along with the Earth around the center of the Milky Way Galaxy at 137 miles per second or 493,200 MPH.

The Moon travels along with our Galaxy through space at 7,923,308,205,234,000 MPH*

*I made that last one up. 😊
Appreciate 2
Buug95917400.50
      04-22-2022, 11:43 AM   #5749
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Back on topic, sort-of, I had another state trooper tell me I should go to the academy. That makes #4 in the past 5 years now. Plus my buddy who keeps trying to get me to be an officer in AZ with him.

I'm too old to make that switch now, but I'm starting to think I missed my calling
I guess it all depends. When I was going through the Police College there was a female recruit who was in her late 40's. And when I lived in Toronto and was still on the job there was a garage fire in our neighbourhood. I took a pot of coffee out for the coppers because everyone always takes care of the Smokies. There was a young copper maybe late 20's on the street and an older guy. I made the assumption the young guy was the Rookie and went to speak with the old guy first. Turns out the young guy was the Training Officer, the old guy had retired from Banking, always wanted to be a copper. He had only been on the road a few weeks. He was 55 if I recall.

I retired on my 55th birthday.

I remember one of my bosses telling me when I just got on the job that I had a ticket to the greatest show on earth. Follow your dreams if that's what you want to do.
Appreciate 3
Buug95917400.50
Sedan_Clan25106.00
paquet629.50
      04-22-2022, 04:26 PM   #5750
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
If he had reported it as CAVU, he would have gotten away with it.

Sometimes we were above the ground fog and sometimes we weren't .
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 07:23 PM   #5751
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Florida Teen Charged With Killing Six in 151-MPH BMW M5 Crash
      04-22-2022, 08:46 PM   #5752
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
And this is a perfect example of “Just because you could, doesn’t mean you should”. I’m betting his parents bought him the car because he wanted it. Nothing good can come from giving all that hp to a new driver.
So sad for everyone involved.

There was a thread long ago on another forum where a man said he was buying his daughter a M3 for her 18th birthday. A bunch of us told him he was crazy for this exact reason. He didn’t get it. His thought was he was in a position to give his kids things he didn’t have when he was young.

Last edited by cmyx6go; 04-23-2022 at 06:12 AM..
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615268.00
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
      04-22-2022, 09:13 PM   #5753
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
And this is a perfect example of “Just because you could, doesn’t mean you should”.
Great song btw -

I have a question for a police officer. Do you think it makes sense for most people to have a gun at home for self defense? Or do you think that idea is overdone or are there better options? Do you recommend a certain gun? In Central Florida where I live, I doubt I'd need it, but with 2 kids and seeing shootings every night it seems on the news, it also seems like having a gun in a safe just in case makes sense. I have plenty of firearm experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 10:26 AM   #5754
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Your home defense solution is layers of protection:

- Make your home less likely to be a target by:
Don't flaunt your wealth or belongings. Keep your garage door closed when not in use. Keep your
doors and windows closed and locked. Have good exterior lighting. Keep bushes trimmed back so no
one can be hidden from view. Have alarm company signs and prominent cameras to deter crime.
- Make your home more difficult to enter by:
Locking doors and windows. Upgrading the door hardware and using long screws so the door can't
easily be kicked open. Use motion detector lights to deter prowlers. Don't leave burglar tools outside
to be used against you (things like hammers, power tools, ladders, etc.)
- Improve your personal security by:
Tell your family not to discuss/brag about your personal belongings ("My dad has a bunch of guns and
cash in the garage!") Don't hang out with stupid people doing stupid things. Be aware of your
surroundings and what is hppening with your neighbors. Don't flaunt your wealth by wearing fancy
watches/jewelry. If you think you are being followed, don't go home. When you come home, stop, look, and listen, before going inside. Trust
your spidey sense.

All of the above is just to keep you off the criminal's radar. If that doesn't work, then you need to worry about actually defending yourself/family.

If you want to defend against a home invasion, you need to have a gun on you. If you want to defend against a "bump in the night," you need to have quick access to a gun.

More importantly, though, you need to have the ability and willingness to use lethal force. You also need to discuss that with your family and see who else is a willing participant to use lethal force.

Once you get through all of those steps, you need to come up with a plan of how to react to a home invasion, or burglary, or bump in the night. Will you go fight the intruder? Will you hunker down and defend? Do you need to get to another part of the house to protect your kids? Will you have your spouse to help or are you solo? Which walls of your house can you shoot into/through without risking shooting one of your family? How close are your neighbors? How long will it take the police to respond?

That is just a primer.

Owning a gun does not make you safe. Even if you do everything right, you can still lose.
Appreciate 9
Buug95917400.50
vreihen1615268.00
Sedan_Clan25106.00
DYoung32.00
UncleWede18016.00
paquet629.50
jmg18705.00
      04-23-2022, 03:27 PM   #5755
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Fantastic info thank you! I honestly do all of the above already minus the longer screws - which make alot of sense!

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 04:35 PM   #5756
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Fantastic info thank you! I honestly do all of the above already minus the longer screws - which make alot of sense!
You're welcome.

I know a bunch of us gun guys just say, "buy a gun and you'll be fine," but that advice has always bugged me. Using your gun is the last line of defense.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615268.00
jamesinaz1646.50
      04-24-2022, 12:00 PM   #5757
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You're welcome.

I know a bunch of us gun guys just say, "buy a gun and you'll be fine," but that advice has always bugged me. Using your gun is the last line of defense.
Quote:
Quote:
You're welcome.

Sound wisdom

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 02:50 PM   #5758
aguywalksintoabar
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Has anyone ever set this as their ringtone for a joke?

One of the comments on the video says someone working in the Police has and no one got it.

Or do you guys use standard ringtones?

Wondering if there is any inside humor like bob marley bad boys or something.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 09:17 PM   #5759
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

Owning a gun does not make you safe. Even if you do everything right, you can still lose.

This is all great advice. I would add, if you own a gun, maintain your gun, and maintain your proficiency.
  • TRAIN - know how to shoot with reasonable accuracy. The more you shoot, the more comfortable you will be when your adrenalin is pumping and lives are on the line. You will shoot with less than half your normal accuracy in a heightened situation.
  • CLEAN your weapon. Know how to strip it and put it back together. I clean my firearms after every use just to get used to it and maintain it. Make sure it's been oiled before you store it to keep it in operational condition. You do NOT want to deal with a jam in a life threatening situation. Speaking of jams...
  • KNOW HOW TO CLEAR A JAM - That means know your gun inside and out. Know what exactly is happening when there is a jam and how to quickly clear it.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 4
Buug95917400.50
Fly320s1557.00
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      04-25-2022, 09:09 AM   #5760
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your home defense solution is layers of protection:

- Make your home less likely to be a target by:
Don't flaunt your wealth or belongings. Keep your garage door closed when not in use. Keep your
doors and windows closed and locked. Have good exterior lighting. Keep bushes trimmed back so no
one can be hidden from view. Have alarm company signs and prominent cameras to deter crime.
- Make your home more difficult to enter by:
Locking doors and windows. Upgrading the door hardware and using long screws so the door can't
easily be kicked open. Use motion detector lights to deter prowlers. Don't leave burglar tools outside
to be used against you (things like hammers, power tools, ladders, etc.)
- Improve your personal security by:
Tell your family not to discuss/brag about your personal belongings ("My dad has a bunch of guns and
cash in the garage!") Don't hang out with stupid people doing stupid things. Be aware of your
surroundings and what is hppening with your neighbors. Don't flaunt your wealth by wearing fancy
watches/jewelry. If you think you are being followed, don't go home. When you come home, stop, look, and listen, before going inside. Trust
your spidey sense.

All of the above is just to keep you off the criminal's radar. If that doesn't work, then you need to worry about actually defending yourself/family.

If you want to defend against a home invasion, you need to have a gun on you. If you want to defend against a "bump in the night," you need to have quick access to a gun.

More importantly, though, you need to have the ability and willingness to use lethal force. You also need to discuss that with your family and see who else is a willing participant to use lethal force.

Once you get through all of those steps, you need to come up with a plan of how to react to a home invasion, or burglary, or bump in the night. Will you go fight the intruder? Will you hunker down and defend? Do you need to get to another part of the house to protect your kids? Will you have your spouse to help or are you solo? Which walls of your house can you shoot into/through without risking shooting one of your family? How close are your neighbors? How long will it take the police to respond?

That is just a primer.

Agreed. I would also like to add to not discuss travel plans with anyone except those you trust that need to know. I had to explain this to the girlfriend. She loves to post everything about her life online. We would go on trips and she would start posting while we were gone, with how long we will be gone etc. This lets people know our house is empty. She would also tell people about me being gone for military trainings and such which is letting folks know she is home alone. I put a stop to that real quick.

Another one that was brought to my attention that I never thought about, don't put your home address in your GPS on your phone or your NAV in your vehicle. If someone gets ahold of either then can easily find your home address. Instead use a landmark close to your home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
This is all great advice. I would add, if you own a gun, maintain your gun, and maintain your proficiency.
  • TRAIN - know how to shoot with reasonable accuracy. The more you shoot, the more comfortable you will be when your adrenalin is pumping and lives are on the line. You will shoot with less than half your normal accuracy in a heightened situation.
  • CLEAN your weapon. Know how to strip it and put it back together. I clean my firearms after every use just to get used to it and maintain it. Make sure it's been oiled before you store it to keep it in operational condition. You do NOT want to deal with a jam in a life threatening situation. Speaking of jams...
  • KNOW HOW TO CLEAR A JAM - That means know your gun inside and out. Know what exactly is happening when there is a jam and how to quickly clear it.
Repetition, repetition, repetition. Even our best warriors fumble under pressure. I was just listening to the Black Rifle Coffee Podcast where they had Earl Plumlee on talking about how he earned the Medal of Honor. He is Special Forces, some of the best rained in the world, and even he was saying he was fumbling around under pressure, but his training just took over and he worked through everything.

Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15761.00
jmg18705.00
      04-27-2022, 09:22 AM   #5761
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Sedan_Clan I have a couple questions...why do LEO's pull people over for no front plate when they have a rear plate with valid tags/insurance? At the point its merely a money grab no? If someone were to receive a speeding ticket, go to court and object to the officer being certified to use his radar gun and he doesn't have proof that he calibrated it on they day of the violation is that enough to get off the ticket?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      04-27-2022, 10:52 AM   #5762
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
On this coast, that missing front plate is usually on the back of another car...with no valid registration or insurance. It's almost a 50/50 shot that a car missing a front plate is not registered/insured.....
      04-27-2022, 11:08 AM   #5763
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms-01 View Post
Sedan_Clan I have a couple questions...why do LEO's pull people over for no front plate when they have a rear plate with valid tags/insurance? At the point its merely a money grab no? If someone were to receive a speeding ticket, go to court and object to the officer being certified to use his radar gun and he doesn't have proof that he calibrated it on they day of the violation is that enough to get off the ticket?
The simple answer is: the vehicle code requires a front plate in certain states, so choosing to drive a vehicle without one is a violation. Is it a state sponsored money grab? Yes, one could view it that way, but so is every other mechanism the state/government uses to get money. I don't normally cite for the violation personally, but I have initiated traffic stops because if it.

With regards to your speeding ticket question, the answer is no. Challenging the radar/LIDAR will not necessarily get you out of the ticket. My speed estimation is good enough to make it stick. The radar/LIDAR is just a tool used to confirm my visual estimation (…which is certified; an officer in California needs to be able to consistently estimate speed +/- 5 mph of the actual speed. I take my certified speed estimates to court with me). Most officers will bring calibration records as well.
Appreciate 2
dms-011134.00
jmg18705.00
      04-27-2022, 12:28 PM   #5764
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
On this coast, that missing front plate is usually on the back of another car...with no valid registration or insurance. It's almost a 50/50 shot that a car missing a front plate is not registered/insured.....
Ummm.... No. I haven't run a front plate in over 20 years. The front plate is in most of the owners' garage.

My only no-front-plate ticket I received was when we were driving through Nebraska. He couldn't get me for speeding (THANK YOU radar detector!), so I guess I was his out of state quota.
Appreciate 0