E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 E90 335i sedan driving me CRAZY!

05-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
pikemike420
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan

2007 E90 335i sedan driving me CRAZY!

So I bought my car last October, CPO-26,000 miles. Car was near mint. Did research, and it had no issues other than regular service.

A week later, heading to South Beach with my wife and another couple for my wifes birthday (On a Sunday), and the rear passenger puts the window down just slightly to throw out a piece of gum, and I hear a weird click when it goes back up. I thought hmm...That was strage, roll it back down to see if it reoccurs. It stays down-Bam needs new Window regulator. Wifes bday is ruined.

While I am there (now realize I bought the car a week or so before) I told them that my brakes had been squeeking. They replaced the rear pads and rotors.

January front brakes started making the noise, but I lived with it.

April oil light goes on. Take it to the dealership for oil light and front brake noise. Service rep tells me they need to keep my car due to 3 recalls-injectors, HPFP, and software. I wait 3 days for my car. Go and pick it up, and the car is filthy, but had to go into work right away so no time to complain. I figured everything I had asked for+the recalls had been done. Get to work, shut the car off, and the oil light goes on. DAMMIT!!! I read through the work order, they didn't do the brakes bacause they said they heard no noise and it is within the guidelines for tolerances (you cant hear it until you drive it on the highway or in stop and go traffic for 20 minutes) or the oil, just the recalls. I called the Director of Service of South Motors BMW. No answer. I leave a message. Calls me back the next day while I am in a meeting. I walk out of meeting to pick up call and explain my story. Call drops, guy doesn't call me back for another 5 days.

I go and buy my own oil. Add 1 quart, and we are off. No oil light. Drive it for 2 days. Hit the gas 75% coming out of a gas station BAM-2 misfires, limp mode, and CEL. Car is BONE STOCK down to the filter. Car almost shuts off, so I limp it to my friends house-shut it off. Wait a minute, and turn it back on. Running smooth. No issues. Drive home is perfect, but I didn't want to push it.

4 days later driving home from work, I hit the gas to get around a car, and 2 misfires, and limp mode once again. This time, I limp home, shut it off, and light is still on.

I have a strong urge to drive the car through the service section of the dealership at this point. I don't have time to be calling or going to the service center once a week.

Are all of these cars this Sh!tty?

Contemplating trading it in for a Benz or NA BMW like an M3.

Thanks for reading my long winded rant.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

sorry about your experience. its kind of incredible that both of our cars were bought at the same month and had just about same milege. Mine is also e90 335i BSM with 25K on it and bought last october. I've had oil leaks and dangling side door panel issues so far but never had a problem with my motor yet. I did get the mandatory recall service and it runs fine till now.

if you dont mind telling me, do you know what month is your production date and if you have oil cooler? I believe pre-june or may 07 models do not have them. mine was august model so they installed it. may be thats why it goes into limp mode easily.

I suggest you look that up and if you dont have oil cooler, may be you can turn yours in and get a one with oil cooler. if that's the case.

I love my car but I still look up local dealer's inventory time to time because our warranty, even extended one, will expire before we own the car. I'll definitely will NOT keep my car all 5 years... if I can find a newer model that fits the criteria then ill probably exchange my car for that. we'll see.... any ways, best of luck on your car. 335i is a hell of a car, one that is equal or may be slightly better in performance than e46 M3. its just that it can be a hit and miss in terms of reliability.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
pikemike420
Private First Class
Rep

My car does have the Sport Package and oil cooler. It ran great prior to the stupid recalls. Never any mechanical issues.

Actually after the recall, the car pulled slightly stronger.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels

Sounds like they maybe didnt perform the Software Update properly. There are 3 recalls on the 335i, the latest was for the HPFP, some builds in late 2007 thru 2008 the Injectors, and then the Software Update.

The brakes are issue that can be many things, if its CPO I would not sweat about it, as you asked them to be checked so now its on record. If its within tolerance they cant replace em, maybe try some brake cleaner for the rotors. They at least found the rears to be in need of replacement. How many miles have you put on the car since you bought it?

Also, if you bought the car CPO and a week later needed Rear Pads/Rotors? Why didnt the CPO Inspection catch this? Mercedes and many other CPO cars have to have at least 50% remaining on Brakes, and treads on tires, or they are replaced to CPO.

This is another example of the poor CPO qualifications Dealers are very lax about, why buy a CPO if its not good as new?

The window regulator is a common issue with a lot of cars actually, you never know when they will just fail.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
pikemike420
Private First Class
Rep

Car is currently at 39,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
pikemike420
Private First Class
Rep

Took it in on Sunday, and of course they didn't have any loaner cars, so I have to wait until I can find time out of my day to bring it back once again. UGHHHH!

Service guy was cool though. Fellow 335i owner.

My self diagnosis is maybe a wastegate actuator. Car runs fine until you step on it or really lay into it then it sputters hard. After this occurs, you come to a stop light, and it idles really bad. Almost like its going to shut off. I shut it off, and then turn it back on and it runs perfect until you step on it hard again.

Last edited by pikemike420; 05-23-2011 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: me
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Sounds like the dealership your going to is 90% of your problem. All cars break. Some people just fix them better then others.

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
pikemike420
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah-could be.

Who opens a service center on the weekends and tells their customers its only for routine service-oil and brakes? They couldn't even plug the car in to tell me what the Service Engine Soon Light was from! I said well what if my car blows up on the way home?

Would be bad business if it was a small issue which ended up costing BMW a whole new motor because they couldn't diagnose it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikemike420 View Post
It stays down-Bam needs new Window regulator. Wifes bday is ruined.
Drama queen.

Quote:
I wait 3 days for my car. Go and pick it up, and the car is filthy, but had to go into work right away so no time to complain.
You have to realize the techs who work on the car work on so many cars every day non-stop and they don't have time to shower between cars. They, as well as other people who handle your car, aren't as anal as you.

Quote:
I read through the work order, they didn't do the brakes bacause they said they heard no noise and it is within the guidelines for tolerances
SA shouldve told you this.

Quote:
Calls me back the next day while I am in a meeting. I walk out of meeting to pick up call and explain my story
You make it sound like it's the guy's fault for not timing a return call right.

Quote:
Call drops, guy doesn't call me back for another 5 days.
Probably thought you hung up from your whiny rage. Call back if he doesn't call you back. Again, not the guys fault your cell reception sucks.

Quote:
I have a strong urge to drive the car through the service section of the dealership at this point. I don't have time to be calling or going to the service center once a week.
I've done that before and even got a loaner for the weekend. Overall, it depends on how busy they are, the attitude of your SA, and the attitude of you.

Quote:
Are all of these cars this Sh!tty?
Yes, when you get a used car and expect it to be the best thing ever.

Honestly, it just sounds like you are whiny. If I were to work at a dealership, you would be classified as high-maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
Mars-E46
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, G37s sedan 6mt, Miata!

E90 2007 335i.i really dont know should i buy it or not.
was plan to get one on this weds,but not sure now.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
pikemike420
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWONG View Post
Drama queen.

STFU d0uche. Yes it is upsetting to sit at a dealership for 5 hours on your wifes birthday.

Quote:
You have to realize the techs who work on the car work on so many cars every day non-stop and they don't have time to shower between cars. They, as well as other people who handle your car, aren't as anal as you.
Listen I have had plenty cars new and used. When I take my car into get serviced it gets washed. That was with Honda's, Acura's, Mercedes, etc. The porter implicitly asked me if I wanted my car washed. I said yes. It didn't happen. I did not make a big deal out of it with them. I just let them know hey it didnt happen.

Quote:
Didnt happen. I had to read the work order to figure it out.

Quote:
No-my point was (and I am in the service industry as well, so I experience their side of the spectrum first hand) if you call a customer, and the call drops, you call them back right away. Especially when they are calling you to discuss an issue they experienced while they are getting service. Your customer's time is valuable. The second guy I spoke to (maybe the assistant Director of Service), was very good. I am not the type to yell, scream, and demean the staff of any establishment. I speak to them as I would want to be spoken to as I deal with the other side of the coin far too often.

Quote:
Probably thought you hung up from your whiny rage. Call back if he doesn't call you back. Again, not the guys fault your cell reception sucks.
See above....Oh and STFU again.

Quote:
I've done that before and even got a loaner for the weekend. Overall, it depends on how busy they are, the attitude of your SA, and the attitude of you.
I do not give attitude unless I receive it. I do however, let them know when they make a mistake. This improves their quality of service for all customers.

Quote:
If I bought a second hand car from a private party, I would not be complaining. I bought a CPO car, and paid extra for a car that they supposedly had checked thoroghly.

So your thought process is-if you buy a car new, you can complain about whatever you want. If you buy a car used (with 26,000 miles), you should be ok with being without your car 1 week out of every month-which you are still paying for, and not be upset if the car has issues over and over?

Quote:
Honestly, it just sounds like you are whiny. If I were to work at a dealership, you would be classified as high-maintenance.
You should go get a job as a porter there, so you can call people high maintenance, and get a discount on your next lease.

Last edited by pikemike420; 05-23-2011 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: m
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
pikemike420
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars-E46 View Post
E90 2007 335i.i really dont know should i buy it or not.
was plan to get one on this weds,but not sure now.

I assume it could be just bad luck, but in retrospect, I would not have bought this car again knowing what I know now.

I would have probably bought a 2008 m3, a C63, a 2010 Camaro SS, or maybe an 06/07 Z06 instead. Im sticking NA after this on my DD.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
pikemike420
Private First Class
Rep

update took it in yesterday....

Finally have a good SA that knows what he was doing. Funny thing is since I had to get there at 6pm, my guy was gone, so they put me with a mini cooper SA. Took care of my car better than any of the BMW guys have thus far.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #14
Cabrio2007
WoundedVet
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 2007

Haha. Welcome to BMW! I think the problem centers around the 2006-2009 335. My car has had 2 HPFP, multiple sensors replaced, window/mirror motors, brakes squeaking, etc.

Now I think it has the "wastegate" problem. I hear some rattling in the engine during cold starts, and a deep bellowing (low vibration) coming from the rear exhaust, then goes to normal.

Only thing I can say is I hope BMW honors some things that should be fixed after warranty. My car has 45K on it right now, and I have bought the extended 2year/50k mile warranty.

These babies are high maintenance. Audi, or Mercedes might very well be my next car.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 07:56 AM   #15
pikemike420
Private First Class
Rep

It was an ignition coil. Drove the car 300+ miles this weekend and runs like a top with squeeky brakes still.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 08:11 AM   #16
furtado_4real
Private
Rep
Drives: 3series

Quote:
Drama queen.

What a douche you are!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #17
LuisBoston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [8.83]
2023 BMW iX M60  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [8.75]
Sorry, man. But BMW sells a premium product, and a call-back a DAY later, and then FIVE days later is completely unacceptable. From a Hyundai dealer, sure. But not a BMW dealer.

A $50k car (when new) that has less than 50,000 miles should NOT Have these problems. From what I've read, the 335 is something not worth having and is causing BMW huge problems, tarnishing the brand. Crappy dealers don't help.

Your comments are lame.

Quote:
Drama queen.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #18
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537691
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #19
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Potential owners of 335's,

I don't own one but read the bi-polar coaster of threads here.

The cars are great but SOME are problematic. Know this going in.

I don't buy cars that need warrantys extended. I'll take my hits but I would not own this car without one.

There are thousands of owners are perfectly happy with the car and don't post until there is a problem.

Its very hard to buy a used car and then deal with repairs out of pocket. This is why the 7 series value craters post warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:30 PM   #20
MKR_DmD
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 16 Jeep Cherokee

Sounds like you got a crappy dealer. I will drive 100 miles plus to get to my dealer becuase they keep me happy. Brought my car in for oil change and they did the software update recall, took 3 hours but the wife and I cruised at the mall, no problem.

3 days later, misfire. Drove it to the dealer agian for an injector recall. I blew up at the SA for that, but they gave me a Enterprise rental car since they had no loaners.

A couple months later I blew the ac/ps belt. Had it towed to the dealer, and got a loaner. Since I was moving I told him I couldn't return the loaner for 5 days, he was fine with that. Car was fixed in a day and I kept the loaner till I could bring it back down.

Time to find a new dealership or get a new SA.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #21
E36graduate
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6MT

Uhm...pushing 100K miles in my 08 335xi and feeling this is a great car. Had a M3 and this car is no better or worse for engineering and dependability. Sounds like the dealership is busy making bigger money off of other people, just wait your turn, come back again.

Never bought a BMW in over 10 years with an extended warranty....also, never bought a BMW with less than 60K miles on them. These cars are far from SHITTY ! You have a broken window regulator...big deal no matter what mileage. I didn't read all the threads, but sounds like you got your car fixed and it was a fuel injector? Youre going to need to have the intake cleaned out soon and replace the plugs and possibly all the injectors...but there is a recall on the injectors...I believe.

Hang in there...fix your minor things and your car will be golden!

2008 335xi - 6MT - BMS JB4 G5i - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - BMS WW Meth - Spec Stage 2+ - Spec SMFW - 19" MVR Magnum's - KW V1's - TMS 12.5+20mm Spacers
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 10:45 PM   #22
plague
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sold :( / jb 20th AE

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36graduate View Post
Uhm...pushing 100K miles in my 08 335xi and feeling this is a great car. Had a M3 and this car is no better or worse for engineering and dependability. Sounds like the dealership is busy making bigger money off of other people, just wait your turn, come back again.

Never bought a BMW in over 10 years with an extended warranty....also, never bought a BMW with less than 60K miles on them. These cars are far from SHITTY ! You have a broken window regulator...big deal no matter what mileage. I didn't read all the threads, but sounds like you got your car fixed and it was a fuel injector? Youre going to need to have the intake cleaned out soon and replace the plugs and possibly all the injectors...but there is a recall on the injectors...I believe.

Hang in there...fix your minor things and your car will be golden!

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0