BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2023 BMW X7 LCI Official Reveal!

04-14-2022, 06:55 AM   #243
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnI View Post
Stop being overly dramatic, guys ... Split headlights is a design trend. Hyundai & Citroen are already using headlights massively, BMW is starting to use them on high-end models like 7er, X7, XM. Audi is also going the same way, and many others will also follow soon.

Here you have the upcoming Audi Q6 e-tron ... with split headlights.
German Fanboy? Judging by the fact you're using the word "7er" which is really only used in Germany - people don't usually know what the ending "er" means in BMWs biggest markets (USA, China, …, not Germany or even Europe).

The fact that Citroen and other brands are using split headlights makes it all the more concerning. I don't hate the design by the way, just like the new 4 series grill, I could get used to this. The controversy is very much there though and it isn't even the design as much as it is how unrefined the overall vehicle looks and how much the new design is a step away from the inherent looks of luxury that BMWs used to have. I don't want to buy an overpriced Citroen. Opening a can of worms here: The new Range Rover, albeit mechanically a less interesting & refined vehicle, is a much more refined design language with consistencies for decades, just like Porsche too maintains design consistencies for decades. How many different headlight & DRL design have we seen from BMW in the past 10 years alone? It's laughable. There's more headlight designs than base engine concepts (I4, I6, V8 and V12) at a company that calls itself Bavarian Engines Factory ("Bayerische Motorenwerke").

I've heard people on here say "no one on here is a design expert" and that's actually not true in some cases as I've worked in and studied the principles of design for quite a while. What BMW is doing is what most politicians these days do too: Lose principles and become flashy and dissenting for the mere purpose of standing out.

I still love BMW biased as I am with a 30 year history of buying them. Again - I can get used to this particular one - however, LCI after LCI we are moving more towards extreme designs for no sensible reason at all. This isn't about being the "driving machine" anymore - it's about what happens once driving becomes obsolete.
      04-14-2022, 07:02 AM   #244
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys View Post
Quote:
Stop being overly dramatic, guys ... Split headlights is a design trend. Hyundai & Citroen are already using headlights massively, BMW is starting to use them on high-end models like 7er, X7, XM. Audi is also going the same way, and many others will also follow soon.

German Fanboy? Judging by the fact you're using the word "7er" which is really only used in Germany - people don't usually know what the ending "er" means in BMWs biggest markets (USA, China, …, not Germany or even Europe).

The fact that Citroen and other brands are using split headlights makes it all the more concerning. I don't hate the design by the way, just like the new 4 series grill, I could get used to this. The controversy is very much there though and it isn't even the design as much as it is how unrefined the overall vehicle looks and how much the new design is a step away from the inherent looks of luxury that BMWs used to have. I don't want to buy an overpriced Citroen. Opening a can of worms here: The new Range Rover, albeit mechanically a less interesting & refined vehicle, is a much more refined design language with consistencies for decades, just like Porsche too maintains design consistencies for decades. How many different headlight & DRL design have we seen from BMW in the past 10 years alone? It's laughable. There's more headlight designs than base engine concepts (I4, I6, V8 and V12) at a company that calls itself Bavarian Engines Factory ("Bayerische Motorenwerke").

I've heard people on here say "no one on here is a design expert" and that's actually not true in some cases as I've worked in and studied the principles of design for quite a while. What BMW is doing is what most politicians these days do too: Lose principles and become flashy and dissenting for the mere purpose of standing out.

I still love BMW biased as I am with a 30 year history of buying them. Again - I can get used to this particular one - however, LCI after LCI we are moving more towards extreme designs for no sensible reason at all. This isn't about being the "driving machine" anymore - it's about what happens once driving becomes obsolete.
Is M Marina Bay Blue paint different than Marina Bay Blue ?
      04-14-2022, 07:07 AM   #245
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyguy View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not a familiar with this but to my knowledge the BMW individual color set contains only one Marina Bay Blue in both a metallic and a frozen version ("matte"). The X7 M60i in the press pictures appears to be in frozen Marina Bay Blue or could be frozen Tanzanite Blue II, it's sometimes a bit hard to discern depending on light conditions.
In fact, I am not familiar of any M-specific colors. There are other folks on this forum who have more intimate knowledge into the BMW individual options though. Auricom maybe?
      04-14-2022, 08:10 AM   #246
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
For what it's worth, the BMWUSA website refers to this color only as "Marina Bay Blue" without any "M" reference.

My guess is it's the standard Marina Bay Blue paint offered on the M5/M8/X3M/X4M/X5M/X6M.

See pic attached here from the BMWUSA website.
Attached Images

04-14-2022, 08:22 AM   #247
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Sad day. They've been eroding the corona rings for a while now, but officially gone with this now busy front end. Simple hatchet job of the headlights ruined a good looking SUV.

I'll get one more X5 before they defile that too. Then it's on to Audi I guess, until the next bmw design head comes on to restore BMW tradition. I guess there has to be a Bangle once in a while for the people up top to appreciate what they had.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 08:30 AM   #248
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswcars View Post
The split headlights make complete sense if you consider that the current head of design at BMW, Domagoj Dukec, came to BMW from Citroen. Citroens for a while now have all had the split-headlight thing.

So styling wise, BMW is now at the same level as a budget French car maker.
Used to be big companies were run by people that had power over their employees and didn't have to accept whatever the "talent" put in front of them. Something like "do what you like, but do not mess with the corona rings, the kidney grilles, or the Hofmeister kink. It must still say BMW as soon as you gaze upon it." And if they brought rubbish designs, they were rejected.

Now it seems to be, "you are the talent, we are lucky to have you and welcome your fresh ideas without restriction." That might be a good thing for some categories. Not this one. The more they make the brand unrecognizable, the less people have any reason to be drawn to it, to be loyal to it. Foolish.
Appreciate 1
playswcars3657.50
      04-14-2022, 08:35 AM   #249
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Making your case by comparing BMW to Hyundai…. :
Appreciate 1
playswcars3657.50
      04-14-2022, 08:38 AM   #250
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
Just because its a design trend doesnt mean you have to jump on the bandwagon.
Remember when BMW set the trend or simply bucked the trends and stood on their own instead of wanting to blend in with the likes of Hyundai?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 08:43 AM   #251
Lando X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectremotorsports View Post
I thought people were exaggerating on the Santa Fe comparison but took a look at the current version and wow.... even down to vents and the lower bumper trim...

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
You can also get a fully loaded Santa Fe Calligraphy model for around $50,000 with as many or more features as the BMW.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectremotorsports View Post
I thought people were exaggerating on the Santa Fe comparison but took a look at the current version and wow.... even down to vents and the lower bumper trim...

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
You can also get a fully loaded Santa Fe Calligraphy model for around $50,000 with as many or more features as the BMW.
Search for a Nissan Rogue, it looks almost identical.

It's not as bad as I thought, however still prefer the old pre-lci look.

Something that hasn't been mentioned much here is the ~ 4 % price increase (based on 40i base) probably due to the macro economic situation. When I think about this increase, plus the lower cost of screens vs. electronic/mechanic buttons, it sort of pushes me more into staying in the pre-23 lci camp. I'll sit tight until 27 or 28 when the replacement appears and will hope this headlight "trend" is over by then.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 08:49 AM   #252
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I'm glad the rings are gone personally. The front end needed something different.
Appreciate 1
bmr760143.00
      04-14-2022, 08:50 AM   #253
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Does anyone else find it interesting, given the current world of supply-chain issues and de-contenting which BMW has been dealing with (deletion of touch screens, no Bowers & Wilkins availability, limitation on Dynamic handling pkg) that here comes the X7 LCI and:

1) all interior press images show the Bowers & Wilkins system (which I believe is currently unavailable on any 2022 X7)
2) every X7 will have iDrive 8 which of course includes a touchscreen (I believe iDrive 7 touchscreens were unavailable on X7s in late-2021, not sure right now)
3) every X7 will have standard multi-contour seats which includes more electronic adjustments than the former standard seats (more semi-conductor chips/motors, etc?)
4) every X7 M60i will have standard Dynamic handling pkg, optional on 40i models (DHP was unavailable on 2022 40i models I think)

I understand BMW would want to show "maximum" configurations in their press materials but I wonder how the supply shortages will effect actual X7 LCI production.
Ilyam5896.00
      04-14-2022, 08:52 AM   #254
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Actually they do show them turned on. There are several pictures on the website. Below just one of them. The DRLs are some of the worst looking in BMW history - no more angel eyes, curved eyes, round eyes… none of it. Just two lines. Not distinctive in any kind of way.
Yes, that's where they're heading to unfortunately

Last edited by advantage20; 04-14-2022 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5896.00
      04-14-2022, 09:36 AM   #255
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

Quote:
The metallic flake is actually made up of tiny M badges so that the car is covered in them.
Appreciate 2
Tr4ckD4ys388.50
Vervain397.50
      04-14-2022, 09:59 AM   #256
FrankBattle
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW X7 M50i

I have paid attention to BMWs over the years. The marketing teams have been, for me, hugely successful at beating the phrase: "the ultimate driving machine" into my psyche. I am going to guess that this is the same for most of the BMW owners here.

Full disclosure, the one I just ordered will be my first. I was always neutral about BMWs, but the MY22 X7 M50i spoke to me; specifically the engine. The looks didn't hurt.

In the 90's, 3rd gen Nissan Maxima owners were hot after 'angel eyes' as a cosmetic upgrade. Heck, we took Dremels to the original housing to pop in these bad boys. And then they changed .. a little. And no one cared. If we're all being honest, the look of the BMW has been evolving over the years (just look at the kidney's evolution). It is only right that headlights evolve also. I know design engineering, so I know BMW likely hired external consultants and conducted studies and focus groups. I am sure product engineers were consulted. If BMW is like many companies, they likely skewed younger and less tied to nostalgia but they got guidance to upgrade the look. I am sure there was a cost piece. I'd bet "angel eyes" were discussed but likely didn't make the cut.

I would also bet that the reactions so far in here (feels like 50/50) are not unanticipated. BMW will be fine. Nothing [negative] will happen to sales. Heck, if it wasn't for timing, I would have gotten the new design; like many, I don't hate it. I simply don't care that much about the headlights that I would give up on owning an 'ultimate driving machine.' But the current design is just fine. It's the V8 sound, the feel, the prestige, horsepower and seven seats that sold me. Not the headlights. In fact, I think BMW will sell more of these X7, not because, but in spite of the headlights, polarizing(?) as they may be.

I don't hate it. I don't *love* the MY22's headlights; neither do I hate those. They're fine. I just can't wait to get my paws on the vehicle.

I think most people will come around. If not, BMW won't really care. They will win over enough new buyers.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25166.50
      04-14-2022, 10:14 AM   #257
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBattle View Post
I have paid attention to BMWs over the years. The marketing teams have been, for me, hugely successful at beating the phrase: "the ultimate driving machine" into my psyche. I am going to guess that this is the same for most of the BMW owners here.

Full disclosure, the one I just ordered will be my first. I was always neutral about BMWs, but the MY22 X7 M50i spoke to me; specifically the engine. The looks didn't hurt.

In the 90's, 3rd gen Nissan Maxima owners were hot after 'angel eyes' as a cosmetic upgrade. Heck, we took Dremels to the original housing to pop in these bad boys. And then they changed .. a little. And no one cared. If we're all being honest, the look of the BMW has been evolving over the years (just look at the kidney's evolution). It is only right that headlights evolve also. I know design engineering, so I know BMW likely hired external consultants and conducted studies and focus groups. I am sure product engineers were consulted. If BMW is like many companies, they likely skewed younger and less tied to nostalgia but they got guidance to upgrade the look. I am sure there was a cost piece. I'd bet "angel eyes" were discussed but likely didn't make the cut.

I would also bet that the reactions so far in here (feels like 50/50) are not unanticipated. BMW will be fine. Nothing [negative] will happen to sales. Heck, if it wasn't for timing, I would have gotten the new design; like many, I don't hate it. I simply don't care that much about the headlights that I would give up on owning an 'ultimate driving machine.' But the current design is just fine. It's the V8 sound, the feel, the prestige, horsepower and seven seats that sold me. Not the headlights. In fact, I think BMW will sell more of these X7, not because, but in spite of the headlights, polarizing(?) as they may be.

I don't hate it. I don't *love* the MY22's headlights; neither do I hate those. They're fine. I just can't wait to get my paws on the vehicle.

I think most people will come around. If not, BMW won't really care. They will win over enough new buyers.
See that's where I disagree. I think the design evolution has been too drastic and modular, with too few elements resembling, again comparing to brands like Porsche, Apple, Google, Mercedes et cetera et cetera. BMW claims "skewing to young folks" (mind you I fall into that category) but they have indeed let their design travel further than the "ultimate driving machine" can. I actually think the newer designs are doing away with the "ultimate driving machine" perception in favor of a future with no human-conducted driving. Also, like you, I'm saying this neutrally as I too don't mind the old and the current designs. None of this looks terrible, none of it looks great, it mostly just looks polarizing - but that is going to be an issue at some point, no matter the age group. You are likely right in that this is exactly the reaction BMW was gunning for!

Last edited by Tr4ckD4ys; 04-14-2022 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
Lando X38.50
      04-14-2022, 10:21 AM   #258
HotRodM4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
  [10.00]
This new design language feels like BMW's hoe phase.
      04-14-2022, 10:45 AM   #259
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Oddly enough, the XB7 looks better to my eyes.
Attached Images

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 10:53 AM   #260
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
The lower lip gives the lines some continuity that make it look less busy overall than the luxury line. It does look better than any of the other trims but it doesn't look great/terrible either! It's just polarizing.
      04-14-2022, 10:54 AM   #261
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
The lower lip gives the lines some continuity that make it look less busy overall than the luxury line. It does look better than any of the other trims but it doesn't look great/terrible either! It's just polarizing.
I mean, I wouldn't say it looks *good*, but it's a bit more cohesive. Designing a school bus isn't easy though, I get it.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
NJP628.50
      04-14-2022, 10:57 AM   #262
conradb58
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240I Thundernight Metall

Spotted on the way to Munich just now sorry for the bad quality photo !
      04-14-2022, 12:21 PM   #263
robersoj1
Private
Rep
Drives: X7

2023 X7

I like it for the mast part, Not sure about the computer sitting one the dash. I will miss the gear shift, I do like it better than the toggle. My wife said she don't like it at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 12:28 PM   #264
Lando X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Quote:

See that's where I disagree. I think the design evolution has been too drastic and modular, with too few elements resembling, again comparing to brands like Porsche, Apple, Google, Mercedes et cetera et cetera. BMW claims "skewing to young folks" (mind you I fall into that category) but they have indeed let their design travel further than the "ultimate driving machine" can. I actually think the newer designs are doing away with the "ultimate driving machine" perception in favor of a future with no human-conducted driving. Also, like you, I'm saying this neutrally as I too don't mind the old and the current designs. None of this looks terrible, none of it looks great, it mostly just looks polarizing - but that is going to be an issue at some point, no matter the age group. You are likely right in that this is exactly the reaction BMW was gunning for!
Quote:
Quote:

I agree. My suspicion is, much like in the below link, come 2040 people will look back and be like what were people thinking back then.

Obviously not as bad as this, but you can't ignore the similarity.

https://www.autoblog.com/photos/dumbest-cars-all-time/
Appreciate 0