Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-13-2023, 06:17 AM   #1
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

SC M track day insurance

Hi,

I signed up for the two day m track day in South Carolina with some friends. They ended up cancelling because insurance is not included and personal policies don’t cover track events.

How big of a deal is this? Obviously no one wants to pay out from their own pocket but it’s odd that for an event like this they don’t provide insurance especially when their track days are insured in Monticello.

Has anyone bought coverage elsewhere?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 07:57 AM   #2
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

Im slightly confused. Are you talking about the "M Track Day" that is put on by the BMW Performance Center at their training facility in Spartanburg BMW factory?

If so, those track days are where you are driving demo M cars from BMW and not driving your own vehicle, so there is no personal insurance required for these events since you are paying to drive their cars on their property. I'm not aware of any BMW Performance Center "M Track Day" that allows you to drive your own personal vehicle.

If this track day you're talking about is just a normal track day put on by some track day organization then here is what I will say:

If you are driving your own personal vehicle on a race track and you actually care about your car or money, you should ALWAYS buy track insurance. The two insurance companies I have used is OnTrack and Lockton Motorsports. The caveat for these types of special insurance companies is that they typically only cover specific events put on by known organizations. So if you go on their website(s), you have to choose which track day you are applying for before they will give you an online quote and let you purchase a policy.
      11-13-2023, 08:06 AM   #3
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
Im slightly confused. Are you talking about the "M Track Day" that is put on by the BMW Performance Center at their training facility in Spartanburg BMW factory?

If so, those track days are where you are driving demo M cars from BMW and not driving your own vehicle, so there is no personal insurance required for these events since you are paying to drive their cars on their property. I'm not aware of any BMW Performance Center "M Track Day" that allows you to drive your own personal vehicle.

If this track day you're talking about is just a normal track day put on by some track day organization then here is what I will say:

If you are driving your own personal vehicle on a race track and you actually care about your car or money, you should ALWAYS buy track insurance. The two insurance companies I have used is OnTrack and Lockton Motorsports. The caveat for these types of special insurance companies is that they typically only cover specific events put on by known organizations. So if you go on their website(s), you have to choose which track day you are applying for before they will give you an online quote and let you purchase a policy.
I’m talking about the m track day where you drive bmw’s cars. For my personal car insurance would be a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 08:27 AM   #4
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
I’m talking about the m track day where you drive bmw’s cars. For my personal car insurance would be a no brainer.
So you have made me question this whole thing again as I just did the M track day at Spartanburg facility this summer. There was zero discussion about having additional insurance protection for the track day and I blindly assumed since I was paying to drive their cars under their supervision on their property that I didnt need anything extra.

I would call the Performance Center and really ask someone what the real story is. I just looked at Lockton Motorsports and it does look like it allows you to choose the BMW Performance Center (SC) as an option for track insurance.

I will tell you though, this type of driving event is so controlled and there are so many safety measures put in place that the possibility of something bad happening is almost nonexistent. I wouldn't consider this a real "track day" by any means. It is a car control clinic at best with a TON of instructor involvement and they are super careful about people doing things incorrectly. If you are expecting to go out there and pound fast laps at full speed, then you might be let down. If someone has never driven on a race track before and wants a taste of what it might involve, then these track days are super fun, but without the chaos of a real track day.

All the staff at the Spartanburg facility is awesome and the event can be fun, but it is definitely not a normal track day by any means.