F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Windshield Replacement
Extreme Powerhouse

06-24-2014, 03:54 AM   #23
SouthernBoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
If you have an option of OEM glass, try to get the Saint-Gobain OEM windshield. I've heard for years by 3 series owners that it takes rock hits better than the Pilkington glass which is probably what they will use by default.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #24
marlin2911
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

Garage List
I remember hearing somewhere that non-OEM windsheilds don't work great with the rain/condendsation/humidity sensors - any truth to that?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #25
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

I just got my windshield replaced yesterday by Safelite for $0 (Thanks Geico). So far no complaints of creaks or distortion. If there is any optical distortion it's nowhere near as bad as the sandblasted piece of sh*t I've been looking out of for the past 18 months. Winter sand demolished my windshield.

It hasn't rained yet so hopefully no leaks or rain sensor issues. I was quoted $2k by BMW for an OEM replacement and since the car is a lease I see no reason to dump $2k of my cash into something that is going to be trashed in another 12 months.

Frankly I've never loved the rain sensor anyways so if it stops working correctly I'll survive. #firstworldproblems
      06-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #26
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I second the comment on Saint-Gobain is better than the Pilkington crap. My car came with Pilkington and it's sand blasted after 6 months. This junky glass is soft as shit.

I have a $0 deductible on my comprehensive, but I still feel that the insurance could drop me or increase my premium if I make more than 1 windshield claim in 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #27
m2michael23
Captain
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
I just got my windshield replaced yesterday by Safelite for $0 (Thanks Geico). So far no complaints of creaks or distortion. If there is any optical distortion it's nowhere near as bad as the sandblasted piece of sh*t I've been looking out of for the past 18 months. Winter sand demolished my windshield.

It hasn't rained yet so hopefully no leaks or rain sensor issues. I was quoted $2k by BMW for an OEM replacement and since the car is a lease I see no reason to dump $2k of my cash into something that is going to be trashed in another 12 months.

Frankly I've never loved the rain sensor anyways so if it stops working correctly I'll survive. #firstworldproblems
Just got the email from Dealer the OEM glass is $1000 When i go the safelite shop can i ask them to purchase certain brands of windshield?
      06-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #28
ft1330
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2michael23 View Post
Just got the email from Dealer the OEM glass is $1000 When i go the safelite shop can i ask them to purchase certain brands of windshield?
Yeah ask SG let us know if that works
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 03:51 AM   #29
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsifer
Quote:
1450 is the OEM glass
i dont have HUD.
You don't need an OEM windshield. It's literally the same exact windshield, the only difference is one windshield will have a BMW logo and the other will not. (If you have the Active Driving Assistant Camera, then the OEM will also say ConnectedDrive on the outside of the windshield.) If you are paying out of pocket, do NOT get an OEM windshield, it is totally not worth it. Glass is glass, windshield replacements from like Safelite are identical.

I had a cracked windshield at 2000 miles. I got quoted for a windshield through Safelite for $945 with Rain Sensor, HUD, and Lane Departure. You know what BMW's quote was? $6000 for just the part. I ended up getting the OEM one because my insurance covered the $6000 and I paid $250 deductible. But If I didn't have insurance to cover it, I would not even consider OEM.

Just get a third-party windshields. OEM windshields are a waste of money just to have a BMW logo on it. You will definitely not see nor hear a difference. Guarantee it. Plus, if you are worried about reselling with a third-party windshield, no one will care about it. Windshields crack all the time.
Glass is not glass.... I've used safelite glass in AZ and found it more prone to stress and heat fracture than OEM glass on several cars also, I'd NEVER get chips/cracks filled in AZ, they WILL fail over time as the glass and epoxy filler/sealant expand/contract in extreme heat conditions. I've seen windshields that have literally exploded in the heat of summer...

Traded 9-1-13 '13 Estoril Blue II F30 - 328i - ZMM - ZPP -ZDY - ZTB - 403 - 465 - 494 - 4DX- LC (Black) - 6NL
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #30
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
I second the comment on Saint-Gobain is better than the Pilkington crap. My car came with Pilkington and it's sand blasted after 6 months. This junky glass is soft as shit.

I have a $0 deductible on my comprehensive, but I still feel that the insurance could drop me or increase my premium if I make more than 1 windshield claim in 3 years.
Insurance is never going to drop you over comprehensive claims. Could they increase your premium? Yes - but this is actually regulated by state laws in the US. For example in NY you can't legally raise premiums for things that are unavoidable.

I got the Pilkington windshield...FWIW my OEM windshield was ruined after 3 months of driving in winter. Soda Lime glass is Soda Lime glass, the relative hardness is never going to change in any significant fashion between vendors because the chemical composition and tempering processes is the same - you aren't driving around with a sapphire windshield sadly.

If you have a car baking in the AZ desert heat all day (arguably the most extreme condition on earth) then the tempering process can be different between windshields, but it can also be different between batches of glass. I'm willing to bet BMW has at least 2-3 actual suppliers of OEM glass that all get marked with a Roundel - that's just standard supply chain practice.
      06-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #31
ft1330
Major
Rep

Quote:
Insurance is never going to drop you over comprehensive claims. Could they increase your premium? Yes - but this is actually regulated by state laws in the US. For example in NY you can't legally raise premiums for things that are unavoidable.
Sadly NY is one of the only few states to have such laws. Good for you! I don't have proof of what I'm saying, but, I have seen it said many times that people have experienced softer windshields with Pilkington vs SG. Also I definitely notice a different between OEM and an asian car (asians have stronger windshields). Don't know about americans (never owned one)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #32
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Yesterday I went to a local cruise from our Az bmw group. We had a blast in Sedona and Jerome.
But sad story is my windshield has a huge crack. I am calling my insurance to ask about it. I had the 3M crystalline 70 on it Does it mean it is going to the junk yard with the windshield?

Do you have any experience from this?
what is the cost gonna be like with OEM parts?
The 3M didnt protect it?? Theres a shocker. Youll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #33
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
Sadly NY is one of the only few states to have such laws. Good for you! I don't have proof of what I'm saying, but, I have seen it said many times that people have experienced softer windshields with Pilkington vs SG. Also I definitely notice a different between OEM and an asian car (asians have stronger windshields). Don't know about americans (never owned one)
People might say lots of things. My Nissan and Acura both pitted and cracked in the exact same environments as the 3.

Let's use Science for a minute instead of things said on "The internets"

-Moh's hardness scale dictates the ability for one mineral to scratch another.
-The average hardness of Soda Lime glass (the good old stuff all of our windshields are made out of) is around 5.5 on the scale.
-Quartz (affectionately known as sand) has a hardness of 7

Consider this game to be rock paper scissors. The rules never change. Sand will ALWAYS scratch glass. Anyone who tells you "This glass is softer!" does so based on nonsense. While there are minor formulation and batch differences in making glass, none of them will make the glass relatively HARDER than sand.

How do you get glass that's un-scratchable? You have to move to a clear material which has a hardness greater than quartz. Diamond windscreens would be great. Sapphire is also a great choice - which is why your iPhone now uses a Sapphire lens cover to protect it from the metal keys you keep sticking in your pocket.

As far as a glass windshield exploding in the summer heat - glass has an extremely high thermal expansion relative to the rest of your car. If an aftermarket windshield blew up it more than likely has to do with when it was installed, the sealant materials locked it into a position which did not give it the same range of expansion as the original sealing, and as soon as it got hot *Pop*. Could also have to do with dimensional instability in the part (new glass was larger than the old glass) which you could blame on the aftermarket, but that's something you'd need to verify with facts not internet hearsay.

For reference, I just spent 3 years developing a product with Saint Gobain which uses both sapphire glass (which when chemically grown is incredibly expensive) as well as tempered Soda lime glass which is CNC machined and as you can imagine, drilling a hole in a piece of glass requires you know a bit about the material properties. Anyone else is selling you snake oil.
      06-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #34
ft1330
Major
Rep

Quote:
People might say lots of things. My Nissan and Acura both pitted and cracked in the exact same environments as the 3.

-The average hardness of Soda Lime glass (the good old stuff all of our windshields are made out of) is around 5.5 on the scale.

Consider this game to be rock paper scissors. The rules never change. Sand will ALWAYS scratch glass. Anyone who tells you "This glass is softer!" does so based on nonsense. While there are minor formulation and batch differences in making glass, none of them will make the glass relatively HARDER than sand.

How do you get glass that's un-scratchable? You have to move to a clear material which has a hardness greater than quartz. Diamond windscreens would be great. Sapphire is also a great choice - which is why your iPhone now uses a Sapphire lens cover to protect it from the metal keys you keep sticking in your pocket.

As far as a glass windshield exploding in the summer heat - glass has an extremely high thermal expansion relative to the rest of your car. If an aftermarket windshield blew up it more than likely has to do with when it was installed, the sealant materials locked it into a position which did not give it the same range of expansion as the original sealing, and as soon as it got hot *Pop*. Could also have to do with dimensional instability in the part (new glass was larger than the old glass) which you could blame on the aftermarket, but that's something you'd need to verify with facts not internet hearsay.

For reference, I just spent 3 years developing a product with Saint Gobain which uses both sapphire glass (which when chemically grown is incredibly expensive) as well as tempered Soda lime glass which is CNC machined and as you can imagine, drilling a hole in a piece of glass requires you know a bit about the material properties. Anyone else is selling you snake oil.
That's fair. I guess rocks are more attracted to BMW windshields Just kidding.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #35
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:

Exactly. I've had American, Japanese, German and Swedish and have noticed zero difference. Can't compare chip/crack resistance because you have no way of comparing inpact that caused it. Sheeesh.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #36
m2michael23
Captain
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition

Safelite supplied this. :-)
Hoping the glass stays for long time without any issue.
Attached Images

06-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #37
Sherhart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Vert & 2015 RR Sport

$1K deductable on Comp? That's nuts.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 02:09 AM   #38
thehobbit
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: F31 Sportline

Garage List
2014 BMW F31  [0.00]
Cracked mine when a debris hitted the glass just under wiper blade, so I did see nothing, and the day after there was a L-shaped crack about 20 cm length.
Replaced at BMW, original part, with rain-light sensor only, and I was quoted 521€ (700$).
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #39
eljefe87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i M-Sport

I was initially quoted around $1300 with HUD from my BMW dealer. At the end of the day the BMW dealer only charged around $850 for the original part and labor. The SA told me they used an outside company but all work was done at the dealer.
      08-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #40
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 M-Sport Stage 1 GS

Going through a claim for windshield replacement as well. My insurance only covers $850 max for this. BMWs initial quote was for around $1700($600 HUD windshield, $600 labor, plus 4-500 for rain sensor and other necessary parts, etc). What a ripoff. They say 4 hours of labor at $145/hr, when I've seen safelight replace a windshield in my driveway in 1 hour.

It seems that BMW service lowered their initial quote for you? Is this what happened? What did they say? Did you discuss lowering the price with them?

This is a lease, and BMW is telling me it needs to be OEM replacement part. Not sure if this is accurate however. I can go with safelight and save a bundle, although not sure if they have OEM parts.

Any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe87 View Post
I was initially quoted around $1300 with HUD from my BMW dealer. At the end of the day the BMW dealer only charged around $850 for the original part and labor. The SA told me they used an outside company but all work was done at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #41
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkarn View Post
Going through a claim for windshield replacement as well. My insurance only covers $850 max for this. BMWs initial quote was for around $1700($600 HUD windshield, $600 labor, plus 4-500 for rain sensor and other necessary parts, etc). What a ripoff. They say 4 hours of labor at $145/hr, when I've seen safelight replace a windshield in my driveway in 1 hour.

It seems that BMW service lowered their initial quote for you? Is this what happened? What did they say? Did you discuss lowering the price with them?

This is a lease, and BMW is telling me it needs to be OEM replacement part. Not sure if this is accurate however. I can go with safelight and save a bundle, although not sure if they have OEM parts.

Any advice?
I don't think it needs to be an OEM BMW-made windshield. It's the same exact design, the biggest different one windshield will have a BMW in the bottom right hand corner while the other will not. They both function the exact same. Your HUD will be perfectly fine and your sensors/cameras will work perfectly fine. I understand it's a lease, and if the issue is that BMW wants an OEM windshield while your insurance only covers their approved windshield replacements (like every other insurance company out there), then request BMW cover the difference of what your insurance would not cover.

You can have Safelite install a BMW windshield if you request them too. You just need to notify them that you spefically want an OEM BMW windshield when you call to setup your appointment. BMW will tell you anything to get you to buy parts from them, so if I were you, I would look more into whether or not windshield replacements must be a OEM BMW windshield, because that's a little ridiculous since most insurance companies won't provide that type of expense.
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]

Last edited by Halsifer; 08-06-2014 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #42
facepunch77
Rep
Drives: bmw 335 m sport EBII

I busted the windshield in my 335 in May. It was a rainy day and accidently the umbrella went off inside the car.

Took it to safelite - I didn't have HUD so I think it cost around $700 and wh.

They said if the crack is larger than a dollar bill the windshield needs to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #43
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkarn View Post

Any advice?
They're trying to shaft you into buying a $2000 windshield.

My car is a lease and I had the same concern, I spoke to BMW and as long as the windshield is in the car and not damaged you're fine.
      08-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #44
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 M-Sport Stage 1 GS

So Safelight is going to give me an estimate for an OEM windshield. The person on the phone seemed to think it would be less than the $850 max, but she really seemed to be pushing me to set up the appointment before giving me an estimate, so I bet they get some type of sales incentive if they close on the replacement. Not sure if she was saying that just to get me to set up the repair appt. Will see.

Btw it was a circular type crack the size of a silver dollar, so I first had Safelight come to repair and seal. The repair job was terrible, you can still see the crack outline plus now there is a cloudy filled area inside the crack outline a little bigger than a thumbtack head right in my vision on the drivers side. (I guess this was the chip that the rock made, which is now replaced with cloudy fill sealant). This alone makes it worse and more distracting than before, where it was merely a circular crack. In the past I've had cracks that you could no longer see after repair and seal. Not sure if it's this type of crack and chip pattern that is more difficult.

Wonder why they use a semi-opaque sealant on clear glass.

Either way I called safelight to set up an OEM replacement and hopefully my insurance doesn't give me a hard time. Their quote is about 1/2 the price of BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsifer View Post
I don't think it needs to be an OEM BMW-made windshield. It's the same exact design, the biggest different one windshield will have a BMW in the bottom right hand corner while the other will not. They both function the exact same. Your HUD will be perfectly fine and your sensors/cameras will work perfectly fine. I understand it's a lease, and if the issue is that BMW wants an OEM windshield while your insurance only covers their approved windshield replacements (like every other insurance company out there), then request BMW cover the difference of what your insurance would not cover.

You can have Safelite install a BMW windshield if you request them too. You just need to notify them that you spefically want an OEM BMW windshield when you call to setup your appointment. BMW will tell you anything to get you to buy parts from them, so if I were you, I would look more into whether or not windshield replacements must be a OEM BMW windshield, because that's a little ridiculous since most insurance companies won't provide that type of expense.
Appreciate 0