BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

01-05-2023, 06:48 AM   #1
ChristianF
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp

Dashcam Fitting - Part Number Help

I've obtained the fitting instructions for the BMW dashcam which I'd like to follow even though I'm fitting a Blackvue.

The instructions show some miniature connectors that fit into the power distributor Z7 in the passenger footwell and a bit of a search shows a part number that is no longer available.

Does anyone know what these part numbers are by any chance?
      01-05-2023, 07:14 AM   #2
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

The fuse box you need to connect your blackvue for the 2GC is behind the glove box and the two fuses that need to be piggybacked are fuse 64, switched, and 40, empty and live. As per post #68 here https://www.babybmw.net/threads/dash....125353/page-4 Piggybacks are readily available from such places as Amazon.
This is how a dashcam installer would go about it..

Last edited by cukeuk; 01-05-2023 at 07:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 07:33 AM   #3
ChristianF
Private
Rep

Thanks for that, I have the fuse piggyback connectors but the BMW ACE instructions show a connection into the Z7 module using miniature connectors so the dashcam can be fused independently using spare ways in the fuseboard.

I'd rather wire it in this way as it's a bit safer and is following BMW's instruction therefore no reason for them to raise any warranty issues.

The connector is item E on this diagram.

Last edited by ChristianF; 01-05-2023 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 09:57 AM   #4
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's up to you but the method I showed, and linked to, is not in anyway, unsafe.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 07:27 AM   #5
ChristianF
Private
Rep

I got the parts from my local BMW dealer but it turns out both of the fuse ways in the above instruction (46 & 48) are already utilised on my car.

75 & 40 were unused so I used them instead.
      01-07-2023, 12:51 PM   #6
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Deleted
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 10:37 AM   #7
Chrisxdrive
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i xDrive

Hi,
I have a new one like your M235i GC
Yesterday the installer was sent by Next Base to install my 622 NextBase dash cam
I chose the switched option, i.e. after turning off the ignition in the car, the dash cam should turn off permanently.
The installer had a problem with finding the right fuse to connect the dashcam and which turns off immediately after turning off the ignition.
After advice from his colleagues from RS Connect, he connected somewhere, but the effect is that it is a shutdown with a delay of 6 minutes
So after turning off the ignition, this fuse is still live for 6 minutes. and the camera records << the sky << and takes up space on my memory card.
This is unacceptable to me and I have written a complaint, waiting for a reply
How did you do?
Have you found a fuse that has no delay and turns off immediately with the ignition
If you can, please help me because I can't deal with these ,,experts,,

**I got a list of fuses in our model < but I don't see an option to attach to my answer
Maybe this will help mark the correct one for me
Chris
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 10:40 AM   #8
Chrisxdrive
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i xDrive

Hi,
I have a new one like your M235i GC
Yesterday the installer was sent by Next Base to install my 622 NextBase dash cam
I chose the switched option, i.e. after turning off the ignition in the car, the dash cam should turn off permanently.
The installer had a problem with finding the right fuse to connect the dashcam and which turns off immediately after turning off the ignition.
After advice from his colleagues from RS Connect, he connected somewhere, but the effect is that it is a shutdown with a delay of 6 minutes
So after turning off the ignition, this fuse is still live for 6 minutes. and the camera records << the sky << and takes up space on my memory card.
This is unacceptable to me and I have written a complaint, waiting for a reply
How did you do?
Have you found a fuse that has no delay and turns off immediately with the ignition

**I got a list of fuses in our model < but I don't see an option to attach to my answer
Maybe this will help mark the correct one for me
Chris
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 05:33 AM   #9
YogiPL
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW F44 220i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxdrive View Post
Hi, I'm not sure such a fuse exists. I've connected my dashcam to 40 (permanent 12V, empty) and 64 (switched 12V, MAP) (also tried 65) and after turning off the engine* it still has power for at least a few minutes before it goes into parking mode.

I'm using a Viofo A129+ currently and honestly the parking mode has been a pain. Sometimes it works correctly like it should, sometimes it goes into parking mode while driving for no apparent reason, sometimes (rarely) it forgets to turn on with the ignition*.

I've half a mind to replace it with 70mai since I've used their cameras before and they gave me no such problems (albeit on a different, simpler car). Maybe BMWs are too complicated for its software to handle or maybe I've got a faulty camera power adapter. I've learned to live with it for now

*I say ignition/engine but the switched fuses go live after unlocking the car and opening the door.

Honestly it's been a pain compared to my previous car when if you took out the key the switched fuses went, and stayed dead

Last edited by YogiPL; 03-24-2023 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 08:29 AM   #10
cjn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 F40 M135iX

I don't believe that there is a fuse that drops to 0V as soon as you switch off. This is probably a rational design point to allow things to shut down gracefully. If you are worried about 6 minutes of recording filling your memory card then, given how cheap memory is these days, I'd suggest getting the biggest card that your dashcam will support, and moving on.

Just another thought: when I unlock my car the instruments generally light up and my dashcams start up. By the time I'm ready to drive the cameras are already fully operational and recording. If they were asleep until the car was ready to move you could be missing something important.

Last edited by cjn; 03-24-2023 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 07:37 AM   #11
vieira_mar
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW F44 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiPL View Post
Hi, I'm not sure such a fuse exists. I've connected my dashcam to 40 (permanent 12V, empty) and 64 (switched 12V, MAP) (also tried 65) and after turning off the engine* it still has power for at least a few minutes before it goes into parking mode.

I'm using a Viofo A129+ currently and honestly the parking mode has been a pain. Sometimes it works correctly like it should, sometimes it goes into parking mode while driving for no apparent reason, sometimes (rarely) it forgets to turn on with the ignition*.

I've half a mind to replace it with 70mai since I've used their cameras before and they gave me no such problems (albeit on a different, simpler car). Maybe BMWs are too complicated for its software to handle or maybe I've got a faulty camera power adapter. I've learned to live with it for now

*I say ignition/engine but the switched fuses go live after unlocking the car and opening the door.

Honestly it's been a pain compared to my previous car when if you took out the key the switched fuses went, and stayed dead
I have the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 08:07 AM   #12
YogiPL
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW F44 220i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vieira_mar View Post
I have the same problem.
Turns out my problem was a faulty Viofo HK3 power supply, after exchanging it for another unit it works perfectly 100% of the time. If you are having similar issues with the same hardware, I recommend replacing it.
Appreciate 0