BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

05-18-2022, 07:01 PM   #23
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

Had a stripper base 228i loaner today while m235i in shop. Noticeable difference on go from a stop, got front wheel spin. Never from m235i. But overall rides similar and still has good pep. Base radio not as punchy as Harmon unit in m235i. I'd be able to live with a 228i base though. I don't think avail in Canada anymore though. And 23 model m235i apparently getting the lci treatment with idrive 8 and large dual screen treatments.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 07:20 PM   #24
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 228I XDrive GC

I didn’t know the 2023s were getting a mild refresh, I drive 8 looks sick, the G20 refresh looks good, I like the new headlights, the daytime running lights on the G 20 were very bland, I like the F 44 DRL so much better. On the G 20 refresh I think they should have put a different tail light design with a light bar across the back, yes I know that everyone is doing that these days but it would look really good…
I had a base 228I as a loaner and it felt pretty peppy but those front wheels spin out like crazy, I rarely get front wheel spin with my DINAN tuned to 228X Dr.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 07:46 AM   #25
mimespes
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i xDrive Gran Coupe

Cool post and agree 100%.

I was lucky to have the opportunity to test drive (and buy some) many nice cars (Maserati, BMW, Jaguar, Porsche, Mercedes, Alfa Romeo). A little while ago, I ended up getting Arkana as a workhorse and a future car for our kids, E-Pace for my Mrs, then Macan for myself. Well, this year (2023) I needed another vehicle to replace Arkana as one for the offsprings got finally her license and so I test driven a few cars again.

First Audi Q3. To me it felt like a well executed Renault Arcana, which is quite a nice car, but not a fun to drive. Then X4, which I found beautiful but a bit clumsy and heavy, GLC 300 Coupe - could not get used to having a gearstick where wipers should be. Then Audi sales guy suggested for me to go for a spin in a new S3. Wow, when I got back I knew no SUV for me any more. I forgot how much non-fun SUVs are and how much fun little sedans can be.

I went back to BMW dealer and driven m235i Gran Coupe. Suffice to say I ordered the little beast. A little while ago I drove M3 Competition, but really did not click with the car, however loved Giulia Quadrifoglio. I was ready to swap Macan for Giulia when I found out the headlights were not LED. That was a deal breaker for me. Later I test driven S3 again and it grew onto me so much I ordered one as well - it is being made as I type this. Giulia Veloce and Quadrifoglio were still being sold here with no LED headlights at that time.

My age bracket is 55-60. The only BMW I ever liked was m235i Gran Coupe which I ordered and am driving now. As an owner, I found it very difficult to comprehend why so many reviews portrayed this car not so nicely. I find every single aspect of this car amazing.

Out of interest, of the cars we had over the past years and the ones I test driven in this time, here is what I'd give them in a driving experience / fun factor out of 10 (10 being the ultimate in my eyes):

All cars petrol - no diesel or HEV / EV

Renault Koleos - 5/10 (owned)
Maserati Levante - 5/10 (would not buy - ever)
Renault Arkana - 6/10 (have right now)
Audi Q3 - 6.5/10 (would not buy)
Jaguar F-Pace - 6.5/10 (would not buy)
Volvo XC40 - 6.5/10 (would not buy)
Alfa Romeo Stelvio (pre-facelift) 6.75/10 - (would not buy)
BMW M3 Competition - 7/10 (would not buy - ever)
BMW X4 - 7.5/10 (would not buy)
Jaguar E-Pace (pre-facelift) - 8/10 (have right now)
Jaguar E-Pace (facelift) - 8.5/10 (on order)
Porsche Macan - 9/10 (have right now)
BMW m235 xDrive Gran Coupe - 9.75/10 (have right now)
Audi S3 - 9.75/10 (on order)
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio - 10/10 (super tempting but very expensive)

Unsure how to rate Cayman as it was so different, so loud and so sporty, it scared me off. That, as well as the attitude of that particular Porsche sales person.

Honourable mention - Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce facelift with LED headlights. It is on my bucket list.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2023, 07:48 AM   #26
mimespes
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalrx View Post
Had a stripper base 228i loaner today while m235i in shop. Noticeable difference on go from a stop, got front wheel spin. Never from m235i. But overall rides similar and still has good pep. Base radio not as punchy as Harmon unit in m235i. I'd be able to live with a 228i base though. I don't think avail in Canada anymore though. And 23 model m235i apparently getting the lci treatment with idrive 8 and large dual screen treatments.
Fortunately not, 2023 m235 (F44) still iDrive 7, else no way would I get it.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2023, 05:16 PM   #27
veejayy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Honda s2000

Yes to the OP and the comments. I own a M240x because I wanted the B58 and I wanted one more coup before I die but I considered the M235x because I loved that engine which is the same as the JCW Countryman I had.

People I know who have this car and admittedly small sample size LOVE it. It is more than peppy- it is fast just a few ticks off the M240x but it is still fast.

And I think the looks are great.

Enjoy the car as you all seem to be doing. Car buying by review has so much misery. If you love it who cares?

Best!
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2023, 11:11 AM   #28
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimespes View Post
I was lucky to have the opportunity to test drive (and buy some) many nice cars (Maserati, BMW, Jaguar, Porsche, Mercedes, Alfa Romeo). A little while ago, I ended up getting Arkana as a workhorse and a future car for our kids, E-Pace for my Mrs, then Macan for myself. Well, this year (2023) I needed another vehicle to replace Arkana as one for the offsprings got finally her license and so I test driven a few cars again.

First Audi Q3. To me it felt like a well executed Renault Arcana, which is quite a nice car, but not a fun to drive. Then X4, which I found beautiful but a bit clumsy and heavy, GLC 300 Coupe - could not get used to having a gearstick where wipers should be. Then Audi sales guy suggested for me to go for a spin in a new S3. Wow, when I got back I knew no SUV for me any more. I forgot how much non-fun SUVs are and how much fun little sedans can be.

I went back to BMW dealer and driven m235i Gran Coupe. Suffice to say I ordered the little beast. A little while ago I drove M3 Competition, but really did not click with the car, however loved Giulia Quadrifoglio. I was ready to swap Macan for Giulia when I found out the headlights were not LED. That was a deal breaker for me. Later I test driven S3 again and it grew onto me so much I ordered one as well - it is being made as I type this. Giulia Veloce and Quadrifoglio were still being sold here with no LED headlights at that time.

My age bracket is 55-60. The only BMW I ever liked was m235i Gran Coupe which I ordered and am driving now. As an owner, I found it very difficult to comprehend why so many reviews portrayed this car not so nicely. I find every single aspect of this car amazing.

Out of interest, of the cars we had over the past years and the ones I test driven in this time, here is what I'd give them in a driving experience / fun factor out of 10 (10 being the ultimate in my eyes):

All cars petrol - no diesel or HEV / EV

Renault Koleos - 5/10 (owned)
Maserati Levante - 5/10 (would not buy - ever)
Renault Arkana - 6/10 (have right now)
Audi Q3 - 6.5/10 (would not buy)
Jaguar F-Pace - 6.5/10 (would not buy)
Volvo XC40 - 6.5/10 (would not buy)
Alfa Romeo Stelvio (pre-facelift) 6.75/10 - (would not buy)
BMW M3 Competition - 7/10 (would not buy - ever)
BMW X4 - 7.5/10 (would not buy)
Jaguar E-Pace (pre-facelift) - 8/10 (have right now)
Jaguar E-Pace (facelift) - 8.5/10 (on order)
Porsche Macan - 9/10 (have right now)
BMW m235 xDrive Gran Coupe - 9.75/10 (have right now)
Audi S3 - 9.75/10 (on order)
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio - 10/10 (super tempting but very expensive)

Unsure how to rate Cayman as it was so different, so loud and so sporty, it scared me off. That, as well as the attitude of that particular Porsche sales person.

Honourable mention - Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce facelift with LED headlights. It is on my bucket list.

Interesting take but i came to the same conclusion as you - The S3 and M235xi are two of the most fun to drive cars i have ever had the pleasure of driving. Maybe we are old school- they're relatively small, light, nimble and agile as hell compared to all the "boats" out there being marketed a sports sedans these days. Maybe not the best "track" cars but just all around fun tossing them around in daily street driving.
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 1
CoopJet3859.50