BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

06-14-2023, 07:56 AM   #1
Vukovi
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2021 M235i Gran Coupe

My 2021 M235i GC (US Spec) in Naples, Italy

Hello All,

I would like to start by thanking everyone who contributes to this forum. I would never have purchased this car without your input. The YouTube hate on this car is astounding. I come from more of a JDM background, and I am not a BMW purist. So, none of the complaints ultimately matter to me. While they are legitimate to a purist, the member owners here made it clear to me that this car, particularly as a daily driver, is a win! I have been driving mine for about 6 months now. I do not know that it is my forever car, but I am very happy with the performance, particularly when the fuel economy is factored in.

As far as the looks, again, the hate is just incomprehensible. I pulled the trigger without ever having seen one, and when I finally saw one on the road, it confirms what many have pointed out. This car is not terribly photogenic. There is something that just doesn't come across in pictures. I live in Italy and this car turns heads everywhere I go. I regularly get compliments on it both from X-Pats and Local citizens.

I bought used. So, it is not built exactly as I might have ordered, but I was tired of waiting and wishy washing. So, I did not get the extended black shadow line, M Sport Seats, or Active Cruise (with Parking assist and back up) ... Other than that, it is quite nicely turned out. If I could, I would retrofit the tech, but honestly, the standard seats and the Grey Trim kind of give it a less aggressive, more grown-up look. Which at my age is appropriate. So, I may ever go full blue\black contrast, but I am in no hurry to throw more money at this car!

I do find the back seats are an issue for anyone much over 5' 8"... The car came from Germany and had two full sets of OEM M wheels. The winter set are the 18" and I like the Matte Black. The 19" are the original set with the dual spoke. Originally, the 18s had run flats... This is a no-go in Italy, both for ride quality and durability. After my second blowout within the first month, I changed all 4 and bought a spare. While on order, I put the 19s on, without realizing they were already changed to standard... what a difference in ride quality!!! Ultimately the 18s are my dailies. Just more cushion. Roads are garbage here.

So, I finally got some decent shots. Still not the poster quality I wanted to introduce her, but I figured it might be a while before I get what I really want.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-14-2023, 11:11 AM   #2
LeroyJenkins340
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i GC

Beautiful car, and you have very good points. One review I saw was complaining about the fake exhaust tips. Like do you know how many cars have fake exhaust tips? The m340i, m550i, Escalade, Range Rover… I mean the list is endless.

In any case, what brought you to Italy? I am seriously considering a PCS to Germany, but maybe Italy should be a consideration? I was leaning towards Germany especially with the big hospital there and my wife being a nurse.
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2023, 03:11 AM   #3
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

I ignore Youtube clickbaiters and get my information from myself. BMW's should never be for the 'self proclaimed purists' who seem to want cars that try to kill you in the wet.
      06-28-2023, 09:50 AM   #4
Vukovi
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2021 M235i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyJenkins340 View Post
Beautiful car, and you have very good points. One review I saw was complaining about the fake exhaust tips. Like do you know how many cars have fake exhaust tips? The m340i, m550i, Escalade, Range Rover… I mean the list is endless.

In any case, what brought you to Italy? I am seriously considering a PCS to Germany, but maybe Italy should be a consideration? I was leaning towards Germany especially with the big hospital there and my wife being a nurse.
Great user name... I actually went and pulled up that old video lol... Anyway, those are functioning exhaust pipes, not fake tips. Maybe they are fake on the non-M Gran Coupes, IDK.

As far as what brought me to Italy... work in a nutshell. I am a contractor for the Navy. I was in Germany for a year. It is nice, but things just worked out to bring me back to Italy. It is nice enough here too, but definitely different and I think a bigger adjustment. There is a good sized hospital at the Support site in gricignano di aversa. Not sure what branch you are, it is mostly Navy here, but there is a NATO base with Army and at least some Air Force billets as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 08:41 PM   #5
LeroyJenkins340
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vukovi View Post
Great user name... I actually went and pulled up that old video lol... Anyway, those are functioning exhaust pipes, not fake tips. Maybe they are fake on the non-M Gran Coupes, IDK.

As far as what brought me to Italy... work in a nutshell. I am a contractor for the Navy. I was in Germany for a year. It is nice, but things just worked out to bring me back to Italy. It is nice enough here too, but definitely different and I think a bigger adjustment. There is a good sized hospital at the Support site in gricignano di aversa. Not sure what branch you are, it is mostly Navy here, but there is a NATO base with Army and at least some Air Force billets as well.
I appreciate the info. A coworker of mine is PCSing to Naples. It’s nice to know there’s a big hospital there. As the exhaust tips, the exhaust on my car is disconnected from the tips which are housed in the bumper. They create the appearance of larger exhaust.
Appreciate 1
Vukovi4.50
      10-06-2023, 08:40 PM   #6
mimespes
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i xDrive Gran Coupe

Nice car, good choice. We have E-Pace, Macan and X-Drive M235i Gran Coupe. I find myself mainly driving M235i. Macan now feels clunky and unresponsive in comparison. Nothing fake about the exhausts on our cars. All 3 have them real. 0-100km/h in under 5 seconds just brings a smile to my face every time without a fail. M235i is without a doubt the most driver centric car I have ever driven. My change wish list is very short: to have a light indicator for doors being locked and also for a heated steering wheel on, a manual A/C button and not having to click OK to a "be careful" message each time I start the car.
Appreciate 1
Vukovi4.50