BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #45
Chrisfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Moped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
It's not uncommon for tunes to need some work at altitude. Cobb, for example, had issues with their initial STi tunes at altitude.
Amen on the altitude. My wife's 335Xi was Cobb's guinea pig car for X-drive and altitude. I absolutely love Cobb tuning. I just loaded their new Beta software Friday and her car absolutely rips even harder now. Nothing but a tune and I swear her car can pull on my F10 550Xi. That's an amazing gain.
Sal, I've lived in Colorado for over a decade now and can see how much you care about your customers, just based on the fact that you take so much time to explain everything. There is nothing harder than tuning for altitude. I was shocked that Cobb was able to get so much out of the 335 without having too many problems. But there-in lies the point. There were some small development problems with the car at this altitude. And it looks like you are doing an amazing job working with the same issues in New Mexico.
I am completely torn between your flash and ESS's. I think you are both great companies and have been following every thread from both of you. Thanks for keeping all of us posted with your progress on these very small issues. And I'm sorry that some people think that a tune is a one size fits all. That's just not the case.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #46
john335coupe
08 e92 M3 DCT, Pulley, AFE stage 2 intake, Dinan
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S, e92 M3 DCT

I should be able to get some good numbers in a few hours. To answer some questions here:

The iphone app is a great butt dyno quantifier. It has been amazingly consistent... Don't knock it til you've tried it...

I agree with everyone here about Sal and the guys from Evolve. I have never said anything to the contrary or implied so.

From what I understand, my first tune was for cars with Cat modified exhaust, which I do not have. This in turn made my SES illuminate, and the car drive slower.

MY SES is currently illuminated and hopefully will shut off soon.

The current tune is said to be the tune everyone else got for my setup.

I will post results of my runs later today..

John
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #47
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Ah - simple fix then, glad to hear it. Good luck with your next round of tests!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #48
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall$treet View Post
2 points-

1. A tune does not require ANY time to "adapt" people! The tune is what tells the car what settings to use-it is inherently "adapted" by flashing the ECU so adapatation is not needed. Adapting is only needed when placing a mod on without a tune or changing octane-it then within seconds to a minute will adjust and takes less than a block of driving.

2.I am wondering why evolve (sal) did not give you the proper tune from the beginning? Why would there even be a tune that is "better" than the one you had? Shouldn't you have gotten the best product from the beginning? And if there really is a better tune than how much difference could there be between his 2 tunes? SOmething is not adding up.

Poeple expect too much out of a tune. For decades and every car forum, tunes and cold air intakes and exhaust consistently promise gains and consistently disapointing buyers. Its like clockwork. Dating back to the 70s! The ONLY consistent gain is with removing primary cats-every car consistently sees a gain. Tunes on these cars do NOT increase real performance.
OK... so you are either suggesting that:

1. You know more than the guys are ESS and Evolve
2. The dynos that show gains are fabricated
3. The guys at ESS and Evolve, both very respected companies, are lying
4. Some combination of 1 to 3

We know you don't believe what anyone else here is saying but I would like to know what basis you have for suggesting everyone else is wrong... other than you don't believe tunes are effective.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 02:39 AM   #49
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

All i can say is that im very pleased with Sal's tune and i took quiet some time for the car to adapt properly. And the reason im saying that is that i saw it myself when competing on one of our events here i Sweden against the same car with three different outcomes. First race i won with about one carlenght and at the and of the day (3rd race) i won with about 3-4 carlenghts...The outcome was pretty much the same with other cars i ran more than once...And most important i felt the increased powerdifference between the first races that day compared to the last ones...

EURO E92 M3 2008 6MT Interlagos ///Fully Loaded! Evolve-R ECU Flash/Gintani Sport Exhaust/MS Stg2 Intake Kit/H&R Springs/MS 18/15 mm spacers/Bmw Perf. Grills/Gloss Black side gills/LCI Tails/LUX V3's/RD license plate leds
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 04:44 AM   #50
pride355
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY11 E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post
Tune for X Pipe was accidently created

VANOS profile especially inlet us vastly different. If used on a car with stock exhaust you lose power.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 06:00 AM   #51
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Have you guys seen the Matrix??? When Sal is looking at his computer screen this is what he sees. Anyone that can do that and tune a car at the same time is either completely mad or a genius.... when it comes to mapping cars I think Sal knows what he is talking about. You are in good hands guys... nothing to worry about. If there is a problem he will fix it.
Attached Images

M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #52
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

my car vs a stage 3 modded 335i

a little difference maybe?

My friends stock M3 no rear seats, 18" on R-Tires + eisenmann race vs same stage 3 335

EURO E92 M3 2008 6MT Interlagos ///Fully Loaded! Evolve-R ECU Flash/Gintani Sport Exhaust/MS Stg2 Intake Kit/H&R Springs/MS 18/15 mm spacers/Bmw Perf. Grills/Gloss Black side gills/LCI Tails/LUX V3's/RD license plate leds
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #53
john335coupe
Rep

Sorry everybody for my absence. I've been working with Sal from Evolve for a while and tried a few more tunes. I've also been using the now available update that reads and clears codes. I've noticed a few changes with the most recent tune.

1. The down rev is less aggressive and more liveable....more like stock.
2. The power in smoother than earlier tunes.
3. The initial start jitter in initial tunes is now gone.

as for power.

I've run 3 runs today and the highlight are.

The 1/4 mile mph is up on average 1.5 mph with the best 2.1 mph gain over the stock average.

The 1/4 mile et was on average .15 sec. better with a best of .3 sec improvement.

I love the customer service from Sal and the new software update which was free to update. SOOOO nice to be able to view and clear codes.

John
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #54
john335coupe
Rep

i agree
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #55
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep
Drives: Quick enough

Thanks John, great to hear your enjoying the tune and new features
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #56
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by john335coupe View Post
Sorry everybody for my absence. I've been working with Sal from Evolve for a while and tried a few more tunes. I've also been using the now available update that reads and clears codes. I've noticed a few changes with the most recent tune.

1. The down rev is less aggressive and more liveable....more like stock.
2. The power in smoother than earlier tunes.
3. The initial start jitter in initial tunes is now gone.

as for power.

I've run 3 runs today and the highlight are.

The 1/4 mile mph is up on average 1.5 mph with the best 2.1 mph gain over the stock average.

The 1/4 mile et was on average .15 sec. better with a best of .3 sec improvement.

I love the customer service from Sal and the new software update which was free to update. SOOOO nice to be able to view and clear codes.

John
This is great to hear!! Hopefully I get to tune our E90 M3 this coming Winter. Although due to terrible weather conditions, I may not be able to enjoy it as much...I just keep telling myself that patience is a virtue, haha
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #57
Trevor .:R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 ZCP DCT

Garage List
11 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by john335coupe View Post
First off I'd like to say that the customer service from Sal and others at Evolve has been great.

I made 3 baseline runs the day before I installed the tune. I used the dynolicious iphone app. I know many of you might discount this as an effective or accurate way to gauge acceleration but I've found it to be surprisingly accurate or consistent at the least.

I'm at 5800 ft elevation so the numbers will seem low. That's what happens to NA cars up here. They cannot breath...

Baseline average of 3 runs
using LC
0-30 2.06 sec.
0-60 5.42 sec.
0-100 13.42 sec.

no LC
0-30 2.75 sec.
0-60 5.98 sec.
0-100 13.32

My e92 m3 dct has about 35000 miles on it and has a pulley, afe stage 2 intake and dinan rear exhaust.

I then flashed as directed by Evolve and spent some time on the phone with Sal who was very helpful fixing some of the initial problems.

Drove for at least 50 miles so that computer could adapt.

Ran 3 more runs using the dynolicious app on the same road in the same direction at almost the same outside temp. and had some interesting results.

using LC average of 3 runs
0-30 2.17 sec.
0-60 5.52 sec.
0-100 13.64 sec.

no LC
0-30 2.88 sec.
0-60 6.41 sec.
0-100 14.11

As you can see after the Evolve flash. the car did not accelerate as fast. I was shocked by these numbers because my butt dyno was telling me it was a little quicker... I tried everything to get the car to get better times.

1/4 mile mph were similar. There was nothing I could do to get the et and mph to be better after the flash.

I then put the stock tune back on the car and drove for about 20 miles and ran another time. Here is the results using LC:

using LC
0-30 2.15 sec.
0-60 5.49 sec.
0-100 13.57 sec.

I emailed Sal at Evolve and told him I was not seeing any gains and to see if another tune would be better suited for my car. I know little about tunes so I was thinking that maybe my car had a tune that was too conservative...and even more conservative than stock tune. If there was nothing they could do, I requested a refund.

Sorry I don't have a different story to tell. Believe me I really wanted one.

John

No offense but, i have had buddys dyno test the Dinan exhaust and the Afe intake both happened to have lost power over stock... I like the product from the beginning but once i saw those results i just went with different companies
      09-16-2011, 02:14 AM   #58
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall$treet View Post
Sorry but comparing two different m3s is useless. Any 2 M3's probably vary by 10-20 whp, so if you are looking to show a 10-12 hp gain from a tune but have two different cars that could vary in even more hp than that it is pointless.

Also I am guessing your friend raced first, the 335 was hot and then you raced second when the 335 was already slightly heatsoaked so it was a closer race.
Sorry but we did not race the 335 after each other. Me and the 335 raced after having lunch so both cars was not even close to heatsoaked...

Appreciate 0