GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

09-27-2016, 06:14 AM   #1
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3mC

Iphone 7 sound quality differences

I wanted to make a post about the dramatic differences in the sound profile of the new Iphone 7 vs previous Iphone models. This comparison is between the 6s and the 7. Using Spotify on mac quality and using the same broken in USB cable. I wanted to make this post because while there were small differences between each model before, there was never such a huge change. Also, I have the bavsound speakers and ghost subs installed. They were installed a long time ago so they are pretty broken in. I also didn't change the eq for the iPhones when I switched.

The first thing I noticed was the volume is much lower on the new iPhone. At about 75% volume it sounds like 50% of the 6s. However luckily for us our system needs the volume turned up to really get in the sweet spot of the amp. It's important to note that the system doesn't distort at high volumes.

Imaging is greatly improved with the 7. I used to run logic 7 on because I though that stereo didn't provide any imaging with the 6s. (Yes I listened to the 6s with logic 7 off for the comparison.). For those who don't know audio well, sound stage and imaging refer to the ability to convey where each sound is coming from. Good imaging on a stereo sound system will essentially sound like surround sound. You can hear where the singer is singing from, and you can pick out specific locations of different instruments. And with the 7, I find that imaging and sound stage are greatly improved.

Detail is also much better in the 7. You can hear a lot more subtle nuances in each track. Also, everything sounds tighter. There are things in sounds I only listen to in my car that I did not hear before on the 6s.

Bass is also greatly improved. It is even tighter and more prominent. You can hear it hitting lower and harder than with the 6s.

Mid range seems to be less emphasized on the iPhone 7. Our system never had a great mid range but now it seems even more lacking.

The sound also seems to have shifted to a more cold sound. The 6s is noticeably warmer. This is more a matter of preference as different people prefer a more warm sound to a more cold sound and vice versus.

Overall, I was startled at how different the sound quality is. I wasn't a big fan at first but after more critical listening back to back I really like the new 7's quality. It the huge improvement to sound stage, imaging, detail and bass are very very welcome. Hopefully this review provides some insight into the audio quality world for iPhones
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
M4BUM
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

great news. it was really annoying that the sound with the 6s was very poor.
i always had to put on the lightning cable for good sound quality.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3mC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Ulm
great news. it was really annoying that the sound with the 6s was very poor.
i always had to put on the lightning cable for good sound quality.
The 6s actually had the best sound quality among smartphones. With the exception of the few that were specifically made for that.
Using the analog jack or Bluetooth will very rarely give you good sound quality.
It took a few days for me to appreciate the difference between the 6s and 7.
Appreciate 0