Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions A week with the M340i

05-28-2019, 06:56 AM   #23
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

It's been over a month and 3D viewing is still not working. I've worked in IT for 20 years and still can't get this to work (granted I haven't really put a lot of effort into troubleshooting).
Attached Images

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 09:05 AM   #24
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

I would checkout the below forum area:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=779

Looks like ConnectedDrive is having all sorts of issues, which may be impacting what you're seeing too.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 05:36 PM   #25
ratlhead
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
I would checkout the below forum area:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=779

Looks like ConnectedDrive is having all sorts of issues, which may be impacting what you're seeing too.
I heard back from both their Twitter account and BMWUSAcares email account today. Both said they passed along my info to their ConnectedDrive team and are investigating it.

I'm starting to lose hope in this being resolved anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 05:58 PM   #26
RPM1123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlhead View Post
I heard back from both their Twitter account and BMWUSAcares email account today. Both said they passed along my info to their ConnectedDrive team and are investigating it.

I'm starting to lose hope in this being resolved anytime soon.
It's a complete mess. I've received 4 separate connected drive activation emails. I unlinked and relinked my account in both the app and car after receiving the most recent email, and now not a single feature in the connected drive app works (can't even send GPS locations to car for nav, I use this a lot). I have never gotten remote 3d view to work, and only got remote start to work once.

We need to make sure the phones/social media at BMW are lit up about this. They've made it pretty clear they think they can release half baked software to the public and get away with it.
Appreciate 1
praxis218823.50
      05-28-2019, 06:14 PM   #27
meddlemaker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i / 2016 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1123 View Post
It's a complete mess. I've received 4 separate connected drive activation emails. I unlinked and relinked my account in both the app and car after receiving the most recent email, and now not a single feature in the connected drive app works (can't even send GPS locations to car for nav, I use this a lot). I have never gotten remote 3d view to work, and only got remote start to work once.

We need to make sure the phones/social media at BMW are lit up about this. They've made it pretty clear they think they can release half baked software to the public and get away with it.
The Remote 3D View always tells me I have not enabled the function in the car, that I need to go into Privacy Settings and allow it. I have done that (several times) and it still doesn't work.

Connected Drive has always seemed to be hit or miss. I had a 2016 328i that I would occasionally send commands to, like ventilating the air, or send directions to a destination. Even those basic functions would not work 30-40% of the time.

It would be nice if the 3D Remote View would work, especially because they advertise the tech features a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 06:14 PM   #28
meddlemaker
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
It's been over a month and 3D viewing is still not working. I've worked in IT for 20 years and still can't get this to work (granted I haven't really put a lot of effort into troubleshooting).
That is exactly the screen I get every time. Glad that I'm not alone, but not happy to hear it's a major problem for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #29
ratlhead
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Wow, that is just, bad. Can't wait to see my activation email fail - you can bet I'll light them up. It's simply unacceptable.

If I'm not mistaken, many of the subscription-based services in the car required your ConnectedDrive app and car to be setup together, no? I've read about users not being able to enable CarPlay for this reason.

I also like to send locations to my car on occasion...but for now, my car can't even get a verification code.

Will keep this thread updated - I'm going to push and push until this gets resolved.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 07:24 PM   #30
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

Quote:

Thank you for paying to participate in the official BMW G20 ConnectedDrive beta test.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 07:35 PM   #31
unc879wins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Lexus RC350 FSport

Did they not offer to get it all set up at time of delivery?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 08:10 PM   #32
ratlhead
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unc879wins View Post
Did they not offer to get it all set up at time of delivery?
My dealer told me the service was down, so he could not 'activate' my car in it. This was on a Saturday, and he said he was told it would be up by Monday.

Here we are, 10 days later...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 08:21 PM   #33
RPM1123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis218 View Post
Thank you for paying to participate in the official BMW G20 ConnectedDrive beta test.
Haha, yeah seriously.

According to the BMW Genius I talked to it affects a portion of all G series cars with iDrive 7.0 (X5 and 7 series included). So I'd like to think it wasn't intentional, but you never know.

Last edited by RPM1123; 05-28-2019 at 08:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 03:41 AM   #34
ratlhead
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Whomever runs the @BMWUSA Twitter account was able to get my car 'activated' and available in ConnectedDrive...FINALLY. That said, most features still don't work LOL
  • Remote 3D View - I activated it in the car by accepting the privacy terms, but the app says I haven’t done so
  • CarPlay refuses to activate/connect. It always fails, even if going through the setup of an entirely new device.
  • I sent a couple commands to lock and honk the car, but they failed to send.
About the only thing I found to work was the 'status' of the car (a door was open and it showed that) and sending a destination to the car's nav.

Yep, BETA testers we are.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 01:31 PM   #35
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i. 2013 328i

I chatted with a rep at BMW, Apparently there migrating over to a new servers and transferring all data, they said end of this week it'll be up, I've had my M340 for 3 weeks now and half the connected drive features don't even work.. feel your frustration
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2019, 02:10 PM   #36
RPM1123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiner0123 View Post
I chatted with a rep at BMW, Apparently there migrating over to a new servers and transferring all data, they said end of this week it'll be up, I've had my M340 for 3 weeks now and half the connected drive features don't even work.. feel your frustration
I'll believe it when it happens. The engineers with a true idea of the state of the issue don't have any direct communication channels to the public. Any answer from BMW has most likely been filtered through employees in product and public relation roles.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #37
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i. 2013 328i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiner0123 View Post
I'll believe it when it happens. The engineers with a true idea of the state of the issue don't have any direct communication channels to the public. Any answer from BMW has most likely been filtered through employees in product and public relation roles.
Yeah I believe that, I gave up since I've gotten the car I've heard on 3 separate occasions "End of this week" I'll just forget about it in the meantime hopefully we get some sort of compensation...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 02:18 PM   #38
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Whoever proposed the idea of making Carplay a subscription service requiring ConnectedDrive authorization is going straight to hell. A feature that is free and standard on many economy cars - now not only requires an optional package, but also requires a yearly subscription fee. That's just insane. I'm usually pretty open minded about subscription services. I spend about $100/month on subscription services like iCloud, Spotify, Apple Music (don't ask), Youtube Premium, Google Drive, various iOS apps, my Nest cams, etc. I don't have a problem spending money on stuff that costs money as I use it. Carplay should NOT be a subscription service. It's just a feature like bluetooth audio. Charging $300 is ridiculous but it's a one-time fee, fine. Charging a subscription? Just ridiculous.
Appreciate 2
RPM1123280.00
Bit0100.00
      05-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #39
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Whoever proposed the idea of making Carplay a subscription service requiring ConnectedDrive authorization is going straight to hell. A feature that is free and standard on many economy cars - now not only requires an optional package, but also requires a yearly subscription fee. That's just insane. I'm usually pretty open minded about subscription services. I spend about $100/month on subscription services like iCloud, Spotify, Apple Music (don't ask), Youtube Premium, Google Drive, various iOS apps, my Nest cams, etc. I don't have a problem spending money on stuff that costs money as I use it. Carplay should NOT be a subscription service. It's just a feature like bluetooth audio. Charging $300 is ridiculous but it's a one-time fee, fine. Charging a subscription? Just ridiculous.
I thought Carplay was standard at least for M340? The idea is that you pay $0 upfront and 1 yr free so pretty much no cost to try it out. If don't like it you have zero expense unlike $300 one time fee. Yeah it's pretty much greedy marketing but I don't like the fact that when ConnectedDrive service goes down so does Carplay.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #40
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo_Kramer View Post
I thought Carplay was standard at least for M340? The idea is that you pay $0 upfront and 1 yr free so pretty much no cost to try it out. If don't like it you have zero expense unlike $300 one time fee. Yeah it's pretty much greedy marketing but I don't like the fact that when ConnectedDrive service goes down so does Carplay.
Well it's technically standard on the M340i, but the M340i is a high trim model with a lot of features standard compared to the 330i. So you are still paying for it with the higher price of the M340i.

And yeah, that's why I mentioned it. Tying Carplay to ConnectedDrive is not only greedy, it kills it if the CD servers are down. There is no reason that has to happen other than BMW not wanting people who don't pay to be able to use it. So they're actively harming all the people who did pay for the "service".
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 03:21 PM   #41
jaquarda
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 M340i, 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
I was having the same problem. I spoke to the BMW Genius at my dealership. You have to log in to your Connected Drive Account in the idrive besides the app on your phone. Go to profiles in the idrive on the vehicle and log in there. My 3d view works great now. Your picture shows the same thing mine did, that it's not enabled even though it was, but I wasn't logged in in the vehicle. Now everything works fine, including sending addresses to the car for navigation. FYI, once you log in to your Connected Drive account on the car most of the settings in the vehicle are reset. It took me a few minutes to go through the menus and set everything up again.

Last edited by jaquarda; 05-30-2019 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5894.50
      05-30-2019, 04:05 PM   #42
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaquarda View Post
I was having the same problem. I spoke to the BMW Genius at my dealership. You have to log in to your Connected Drive Account in the idrive besides the app on your phone. Go to profiles in the idrive on the vehicle and log in there. My 3d view works great now. Your picture shows the same thing mine did, that it's not enabled even though it was, but I wasn't logged in in the vehicle. Now everything works fine, including sending addresses to the car for navigation. FYI, once you log in to your Connected Drive account on the car most of the settings in the vehicle are reset. It took me a few minutes to go through the menus and set everything up again.
Right on. I tried to post the procedure couple of times - but it gets moved to tech forum.

Most of 340 series deliveries got unlucky timing with BMW server migration. The past 6 weeks they were working on it and stuff was touch and go.

give it a try again with servers up and running now.

As last resort - you can log out and log back in to your profile on the car. Log in as guest and then go back and log in as yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 04:39 PM   #43
meddlemaker
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlhead View Post
Whomever runs the @BMWUSA Twitter account was able to get my car 'activated' and available in ConnectedDrive...FINALLY. That said, most features still don't work LOL
  • Remote 3D View - I activated it in the car by accepting the privacy terms, but the app says I haven’t done so
  • CarPlay refuses to activate/connect. It always fails, even if going through the setup of an entirely new device.
  • I sent a couple commands to lock and honk the car, but they failed to send.
About the only thing I found to work was the 'status' of the car (a door was open and it showed that) and sending a destination to the car's nav.

Yep, BETA testers we are.
I finally got Remote 3D view to work. The problem is I did so many different things I'm not sure which step got it working. Primarily I created a driver profile in the car and then linked it to Connected Drive app. That seemed to do the trick.

It was also next to impossible to activate the internet on my Wifi Hotspot, watch includes 3GB free trial. You have to go to a special page on AT&T website, and from there it took many steps to activate. Very much a pain in the a$$. Finally got it done though.

Now if I could just figure out how to activate automatic parking, I would be happy.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 04:57 PM   #44
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I think you now have to disable start/stop every time you start up the car but I've only been on test drives. It will be disabled automatically if you are in any sport modes.
So the next question would be can you set it up so it always start in Sports mode ... I know the answer is no for the Fxx cars but wondering if that changed in the G20 🤔
You can code ASS to remember last setting like F30 LCI
Appreciate 0