Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK BMW Advanced Car Eye 3.0 Pro

07-14-2023, 02:35 AM   #1
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M-Sport Touring xDriv

BMW Advanced Car Eye 3.0 Pro

Hi

New on here..

I am looking to get one of the above installed, anyone have any experience of this system? The "PRO" version has better quality cameras front and rear, plus a screen

Seen one installed and I must say looks quite neat, more important fits in with the BMW electrics, plug & play wiring rather than splicing..

Also, dealer has done a good price to supply and fit

Last edited by xDrive320D; 07-14-2023 at 03:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 03:52 PM   #2
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive320D View Post
Hi

New on here..

I am looking to get one of the above installed, anyone have any experience of this system? The "PRO" version has better quality cameras front and rear, plus a screen

Seen one installed and I must say looks quite neat, more important fits in with the BMW electrics, plug & play wiring rather than splicing..

Also, dealer has done a good price to supply and fit
Did you ever get a response to this post?
Was looking at this myself recently.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 04:17 PM   #3
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Not in this thread, but https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2035600 I did ��

I am getting it fitted next Thursday so I will let you know what it like

Last edited by xDrive320D; 08-17-2023 at 01:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 05:51 PM   #4
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not in this thread, but https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2035600 I did ��

I am getting it fitted next Thursday so I will let you know what it like
Thanks for the link. Interesting reading!

Why the 3 Pro as opposed to the 3?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 01:43 AM   #5
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Thanks for the link. Interesting reading!

Why the 3 Pro as opposed to the 3?
As far as I know the "PRO" has better quality cameras and other features over the "3" may be wrong lol
      08-18-2023, 02:29 AM   #6
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

The Pro has radar sensors for movement too.
Appreciate 1
bmnut842.50
      08-18-2023, 03:39 AM   #7
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

So does the standard 3.0 so I'm led to believe?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 03:46 AM   #8
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
As far as I know the "PRO" has better quality cameras and other features over the "3" may be wrong lol
Thought the cameras were pretty much the same? Main difference is the Pro has the screen fitted to the back of the unit so it can be viewed from inside the car. The way it was described to me was that the Pro enabled you to view the footage on the unit and was specifically aimed at those who do not have or use a smartphone (is there anybody in the world left in that category nowadays I wonder?!) otherwise you simply view it through the app?
One other thing that I have been told but can't confirm because I've never seen one in action so to speak and intend to see if my dealer can arrange a demonstration as they have several 'company cars' fitted with them, is that the screen is not 'live' all the time as with other aftermarket manufacturers. Apparently BMW's ethos being it would be a distraction if the screen was on all the time?

Anyone with more knowledge please feel free to comment?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 03:50 AM   #9
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i XDrive MHT

Quote:
A while back I contacted the manufacturers (Thinkware) to find out the differences. The cameras are the same in the Pro and non-Pro versions, and the non-Pro does have radar for motion detection in Parking Mode, but unlike the Pro version you cannot adjust its sensitivity.

If you haven't already got it, here's a link for the User Manual so you can familiarise yourself with it's features. I've also given the link for the non-Pro version so you can compare the specifications.

I've also given the link for the Thinkware Dashcam Viewer (Mac and PC versions) - it is no longer supported, but it works fine. It's very good, and allows you to view both cameras simultaneously, shows the car's position on a map, etc.

When I got mine the Pro version hadn't been released in the UK - the Pro's screen will be a bonus. Despite that, I have been very happy with mine.

https://www.ace-30.com/Content/manua...ce3_pro_en.pdf

https://www.ace-30.com/Content/manua...mw_ace3_en.pdf

https://thinkwarestore.com/pc-mac-viewer/
Appreciate 2
bmnut842.50
      08-18-2023, 03:55 AM   #10
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=xDrive320D;30407055]Not in this thread, but https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2035600 I did ��

I am getting it fitted next Thursday so I will let you know what it like[/QUOTE]

Look forward to hearing your views and impressions once you've got it fitted as I'm busy 'negotiating' a price to supply and fit with my dealer at the moment.
Depending on feedback if it's all very positive then I'd probably get both my car and my wife's car both fitted with them, and then the real cost bargaining will begin!
Mine could be fitted at any time since the car is 'off the road' at the minute thanks to some a*se in a LHD people carrier passing way too close to my offside and shattering my bloody door mirror so now subject of a disputed insurance claim for an eye-watering amount.......bollocks!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 04:15 AM   #11
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=bmnut;30411528]
Quote:

I am getting it fitted next Thursday so I will let you know what it like[/QUOTE]

Look forward to hearing your views and impressions once you've got it fitted as I'm busy 'negotiating' a price to supply and fit with my dealer at the moment.
Depending on feedback if it's all very positive then I'd probably get both my car and my wife's car both fitted with them, and then the real cost bargaining will begin!
Mine could be fitted at any time since the car is 'off the road' at the minute thanks to some a*se in a LHD people carrier passing way too close to my offside and shattering my bloody door mirror so now subject of a disputed insurance claim for an eye-watering amount.......bollocks!
Yeah will let you know...
      08-18-2023, 07:08 AM   #12
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I guess the advantage of the non-pro version is that it isn't such a blot in your vision. All of the BMW-fitted examples I've seen haven't exactly been tucked away discreetly.
Appreciate 1
bmnut842.50
      08-18-2023, 07:32 AM   #13
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
I guess the advantage of the non-pro version is that it isn't such a blot in your vision. All of the BMW-fitted examples I've seen haven't exactly been tucked away discreetly.
I am going to ask them were they will fit it and then tell there were I want it lol as long as it visible and tucked as far behind the mirror as possible
      08-18-2023, 12:11 PM   #14
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb993 View Post
A while back I contacted the manufacturers (Thinkware) to find out the differences. The cameras are the same in the Pro and non-Pro versions, and the non-Pro does have radar for motion detection in Parking Mode, but unlike the Pro version you cannot adjust its sensitivity.

If you haven't already got it, here's a link for the User Manual so you can familiarise yourself with it's features. I've also given the link for the non-Pro version so you can compare the specifications.

I've also given the link for the Thinkware Dashcam Viewer (Mac and PC versions) - it is no longer supported, but it works fine. It's very good, and allows you to view both cameras simultaneously, shows the car's position on a map, etc.

When I got mine the Pro version hadn't been released in the UK - the Pro's screen will be a bonus. Despite that, I have been very happy with mine.

https://www.ace-30.com/Content/manua...ce3_pro_en.pdf

https://www.ace-30.com/Content/manua...mw_ace3_en.pdf

https://thinkwarestore.com/pc-mac-viewer/
Thank you so much for the above response, I’ll look at them in depth and then decide!
A fine example of just how good this forum is!:thumbsup
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 02:56 PM   #15
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
The Pro has radar sensors for movement too.
Spoke to the Parts Manager at my local dealership this afternoon who has first hand experience of both the 3.0 and 3.0 Pro versions and apparently the cameras both front and rear are the same in each version.
As you quite correctly stated the Pro has a radar sensor as well as a 'vibration' sensor so should record movement around the front of the vehicle as well as any impact to it.
I can see the benefit of this especially if some undesirable person was looking to tamper with the vehicle but it may also just be someone who is appreciating how nice your car is and having a closer look at it! (Excuse my naivety!).
I think the most important aspect of these cams is to record an event when there has been an impact on the vehicle and hopefully help to identify the culprit.
The Pro version is significantly bigger on the inside and due to BMW's policy the screen is not permanently active but a means to view the recordings in vehicle as opposed to via the app the benefit of that may well appeal to many. In my case I think I'd probably prefer to not have what amounts to a 'blank Tom Tom size' unit just sitting there and not really being of any additional benefit to me.
No disrespect whatsoever to anyone choosing the Pro version!

Seeing as the basic operation of either the 3.0 or Pro in the main is the same it is that aspect I'm interested in and how other users have found it.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 02:18 AM   #16
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I know pictures can be deceptive but if you look the screen does not look too big against the mirror.. soon find out Thursday lol
      08-19-2023, 04:09 AM   #17
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I know pictures can be deceptive but if you look the screen does not look too big against the mirror.. soon find out Thursday lol
The screen is smaller in area, more square than oblong, compared with the passenger rear view mirror that I have in place at present and I'm sure I probably would soon tend to forget it's there after a while and I don't sit in that seat anyway!
I've only seen the 3.0 fitted in vehicles I need to have a look at a 3.0 Pro fitted before making my mind up as well as whether or not the additional movement detector would be worth it.

Look forward to hearing your views come Thursday!
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2023, 04:32 AM   #18
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I see a 1 series with, what looks like the 3.0 fitted, may even be a 2.0 as the rear camera is almost a mini version of the front camera and I must say it looks very smart...

Will see what it looks like Thursday and take a picture.. plus let you know what I think ..
      08-19-2023, 04:45 AM   #19
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I see a 1 series with, what looks like the 3.0 fitted, may even be a 2.0 as the rear camera is almost a mini version of the front camera and I must say it looks very smart...

Will see what it looks like Thursday and take a picture.. plus let you know what I think ..
I'm looking forward to hearing your views and some photos of it fitted.

I've seen fitted 3.0 versions at my local dealer and they do look very discrete that could have a lot to do with the senior tech who fits them and places them as high as possible to the upper edge of the screens to minimise the obstruction looking through the screens.
I've seen some installations where the mounting adhesive pads have been placed a couple of inches into the screen from the edges and apart from looking awful they must surely be a distraction to your vision?
Agree with what you say about the rear camera the shape and size and tight edge placement and you would easily miss seeing it fitted!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 04:47 AM   #20
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
I'm looking forward to hearing your views and some photos of it fitted.

I've seen fitted 3.0 versions at my local dealer and they do look very discrete that could have a lot to do with the senior tech who fits them and places them as high as possible to the upper edge of the screens to minimise the obstruction looking through the screens.
I've seen some installations where the mounting adhesive pads have been placed a couple of inches into the screen from the edges and apart from looking awful they must surely be a distraction to your vision?
Agree with what you say about the rear camera the shape and size and tight edge placement and you would easily miss seeing it fitted!
I am going to tell them I want it as close to the top of the screen as possible and as close to the mirror as they can

Think this video is a bit over the top using a ruler.. but shows the "PRO" quite well

08-19-2023, 04:55 AM   #21
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I suppose that on the one hand you need it as high as possible, but on the other hand it needs to be within the sweep of the wipers.
Appreciate 2
bmnut842.50
      08-19-2023, 06:18 AM   #22
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I am going to tell them I want it as close to the top of the screen as possible and as close to the mirror as they can

Think this video is a bit over the top using a ruler.. but shows the "PRO" quite well

Funnily enough I watched that one the other night and it did impress me.

Reckon that 1 series you mentioned is a 2.0 as the rear camera was more a matchbox size as opposed to the 3.0's tube of Polos!
Appreciate 0