BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

04-25-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i. G42 M240i

Tuning Boxes

Anyone got any previous experience with this company?

Gains off this box is good.

https://tdi-tuning.com/car/bmw/1-ser...uning-box-chip
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 01:00 PM   #2
Stan_Brook
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFoxy View Post

Agree looks good. Uk based and Bluetooth too......

No personal experience but 20% off at the mo by the looks of it! Hmmmmmm

Better gains than Racechip - not sure how much their warranty would actually be worth either!

If only they could add pops and bangs! 🤔
Appreciate 1
JustChris17426.00
      04-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #3
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_Brook View Post
Quote:

Agree looks good. Uk based and Bluetooth too......

No personal experience but 20% off at the mo by the looks of it! Hmmmmmm

Better gains than Racechip - not sure how much their warranty would actually be worth either!

If only they could add pops and bangs! 🤔
😂 agree mate, pops&bangs and we're laughing!

Also from a safety point of view you don't really need to be running full power all the time, 340-350 mark for playtime and 310-330ish normally.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 06:13 PM   #4
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:

Another tuning company that doesn't show the data necessary to judge whether the tune is safe or not — namely, an AFR chart.

With turbos, it's very simple to get more power — just add boost! But, unless you also add some fueling to mitigate detonation, the results can be disastrous!
Appreciate 1
MrFoxy372.50
      04-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #5
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Quote:

Another tuning company that doesn't show the data necessary to judge whether the tune is safe or not — namely, an AFR chart.

With turbos, it's very simple to get more power — just add boost! But, unless you also add some fueling to mitigate detonation, the results can be disastrous!
What exactly would an AFR chart tell you?

And what would you need to look for to determine if the tune is safe? I wouldn't even know where to start mate
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 10:53 PM   #6
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And what would you need to look for to determine if the tune is safe? I would even know where to start mate
It would tell you whether, as the result of the tuning box or tune, the ratio of air to fuel in the mixture was too lean. Which is what causes detonation. Yes, it's a subject in itself worth researching. But if a tuning box does not appear to connect to the car's sensors, then it is likely the additional power is being achieved through adding boost alone, without compensatory fueling....which can lead to a very ugly "BANG"!

That's why I like to check if tuning companies are providing a full set of data, to see if they are safe. If not, then — personally — I stay well away from that company.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 02:45 AM   #7
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And what would you need to look for to determine if the tune is safe? I would even know where to start mate
It would tell you whether, as the result of the tuning box or tune, the ratio of air to fuel in the mixture was too lean. Which is what causes detonation. Yes, it's a subject in itself worth researching. But if a tuning box does not appear to connect to the car's sensors, then it is likely the additional power is being achieved through adding boost alone, without compensatory fueling....which can lead to a very ugly "BANG"!

That's why I like to check if tuning companies are providing a full set of data, to see if they are safe. If not, then — personally — I stay well away from that company.
Thanks for the info mate, don't really know much about boxes to be honest.

Surly if a sensor wasn't connected an error would flash up?

That's probably enough to put people off 😂

I'll phone this company on Mon and see if they'll give me the AFR charts 🤷🏼 if so I'll put them up mate
Appreciate 1
ttimbo280.00
      04-26-2020, 11:35 PM   #8
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Comp

Quote:

I'll phone this company on Mon and see if they'll give me the AFR charts 🤷🏼 if so I'll put them up mate
The numbers look good but I'd probably want to know more detail about the tune. Good thing they are based near you.. or atleast in the same country so you could pop in and have that chat.

I was sceptical about the racechip when I first got it back in 2018 for my f30..

After following RC for some time now and watching all of their other car tunes, I feel more comfortable in their work. Especially after the tuners took us through the detailed process of whats involved to get a car map-to production.

For RC the sensors connect to the turbo boost sensor, intake pressure sensor and Cam position sensor. So my thoughts are that they monitor air-fuel ratios and ignition timing.

Last edited by knali8; 04-26-2020 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
MrFoxy372.50
      04-26-2020, 11:44 PM   #9
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

This happened to me years ago with my R33 skyline. Basically the car was running too lean. The tuners were incompetent and I was non the wiser. I was using an SAFC II box which only monitoring air fuel ratios. One night I was gunning it down one of the back roads and I heard a loud and bang from the engine. That was it.

Ttimbo what tuning have you got on your M?

Last edited by knali8; 04-26-2020 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 02:30 AM   #10
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knali8 View Post
Quote:

The numbers look good but I'd probably want to know more detail about the tune. Good thing they are based near you.. or atleast in the same country so you could pop in and have that chat.

I was sceptical about the racechip when I first got it back in 2018 for my f30..

After following RC for some time now and watching all of their other car tunes, I feel more comfortable in their work. Especially after the tuners took us through the detailed process of whats involved to get a car map-to production.

For RC the sensors connect to the turbo boost sensor, intake pressure sensor and Cam position sensor. So my thoughts are that they monitor air-fuel ratios and ignition timing.
Agree there mate, as it stands just now RaceChip looks to be way more safe.
Appreciate 1
ElmoMan12.00
      04-27-2020, 07:28 AM   #11
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Here is the data sheet that's been sent to me after a phone call.

https://www.tdi-tuning.com/variant-datasheet/13043

The guy was brand new! And didn't flinch when I was firing questions at him. He says the gains are possible due to BMWs new turbo 🤷🏼, the gains they were getting are higher but they are keeping the box at 362bhp when at full power.

Also said to bare in mind they have been trading for 16 years and never had any issues with there products.

DMS are into the 400s in power? Merc is managing 400+ standard also a 2L. Stuff to think about lads!!

https://www.tdi-tuning.com/car/bmw/1...p?currency=GBP

✌🏼🤘🏼
Appreciate 2
JustChris17426.00
      04-27-2020, 03:19 PM   #12
Stan_Brook
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

The guy was brand new! And didn't flinch when I was firing questions at him. He says the gains are possible due to BMWs new turbo 🤷🏼, the gains they were getting are higher but they are keeping the box at 362bhp when at full power.

Also said to bare in mind they have been trading for 16 years and never had any issues with there products.

DMS are into the 400s in power? Merc is managing 400+ standard also a 2L. Stuff to think about lads!!

✌🏼🤘🏼
Great info!

Did quite a bit of research into TDI tuning and def seem to be well received on the whole.

No idea what I am going to do really. Guessing it’s best to wait until after run in period is done so have a bit of time to make my mind up. How do these sorts of mods go down with insurance companies?! How would you describe it to them without them running a mile!?

Currently insured with BMW who are not particularly friendly about modifications but due to renew in May....
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 08:31 PM   #13
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

✌🏼🤘🏼
This does sound good. It's good that they are local as well. Even on module 1, you will be getting a decent power increase

Some facts to consider and a couple of things I have picked up during my research:

BMW's new B48A20T1 engine has:
New pistons
Stronger crankshaft with bigger main bearings
Stronger con rods
Upgraded turbo with a max boost pressure of 2.7 bar/38psi @1025°C
Compare this to AMG A45s, their turbo at 2.1bar/30psi
My car is currently running about 26psi @315hp
Applying some basic maths, if the boost pressure is raised 30psi like in the A45s, you get 363.5hp.

The graph looks smooth so without looking into it too much it.

My only concern is that; if you watch the Racechip clip, they managed to get higher numbers but had to pull back the tune due to reliability issues (temperature & ignition timing). And here's where I think 'what is considered a safe tune' is different amongst tuners. On the flipside Tdi might be really good at tuning engines!

References:

Last edited by knali8; 04-27-2020 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
~RS3.00
      04-27-2020, 09:38 PM   #14
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Great info!

Did quite a bit of research into TDI tuning and def seem to be well received on the whole.

No idea what I am going to do really. Guessing it’s best to wait until after run in period is done so have a bit of time to make my mind up. How do these sorts of mods go down with insurance companies?! How would you describe it to them without them running a mile!?

Currently insured with BMW who are not particularly friendly about modifications but due to renew in May....
The good thing with tuning boxes is that they can be installed and removed in roughly 30 minutes with no trace of the tune being present.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #15
Stan_Brook
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knali8 View Post
The good thing with tuning boxes is that they can be installed and removed in roughly 30 minutes with no trace of the tune being present.
I would feel obliged to declare it to my insurance company. I understand in most situations you would remove it before taking it anywhere to be assessed for damage etc but what if you were involved in a serious accident and couldn’t remove it before it went off to BMW. Any insurer would jump at a chance like that not to pay out....

I think for me I will be getting quotes in May to see what it’s like based on having a tuning box to test the water.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 05:36 PM   #16
Stan_Brook
Enlisted Member
Rep

#truetune is another option but can’t recall if I stumbled across it on here or not so link below.

https://satuning.co.uk/truetune/

Annoyingly the F40 doesn’t appear on their model selector but having been in touch with them they map to 360bhp / 540NMs which is similar to TDI but SA Tuning is flashing the ECU via OBD rather than piggyback. They say the flash counter is reset though when returned to stock so can’t be detected by dealer.... 🤔

Quoted £399 but you only get the one map rather than a choice of a few to play with. More can be purchased for those wanted to go to different stages.

Something else to throw into the mix! Will be glad to go back to work to stop looking into all this!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 05:58 PM   #17
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
#truetune is another option but can’t recall if I stumbled across it on here or not so link below.

https://satuning.co.uk/truetune/

Annoyingly the F40 doesn’t appear on their model selector but having been in touch with them they map to 360bhp / 540NMs which is similar to TDI but SA Tuning is flashing the ECU via OBD rather than piggyback. They say the flash counter is reset though when returned to stock so can’t be detected by dealer.... 🤔

Quoted £399 but you only get the one map rather than a choice of a few to play with. More can be purchased for those wanted to go to different stages.

Something else to throw into the mix! Will be glad to go back to work to stop looking into all this!
This 360 mark keeps popping up, not 100% sure if it's good or bad lol.

For me going in through the ECU isn't an option just yet, sensor box is the safest I think pending the tune is safe 🤷🏼*♂️

TDI's box does look good and first setting is 340hp but your not getting 500nm till mode 5 with 360hp.

So why was RaceChip 339hp and 500nm... this would give you a sore head lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 07:21 PM   #18
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I would feel obliged to declare it to my insurance company. I understand in most situations you would remove it before taking it anywhere to be assessed for damage etc but what if you were involved in a serious accident and couldn’t remove it before it went off to BMW. Any insurer would jump at a chance like that not to pay out....

I think for me I will be getting quotes in May to see what it’s like based on having a tuning box to test the water.
"what if you were involved in a serious accident and couldn’t remove it before it went off to BMW."

This would definitely be a concern! It will be good to know how much extra insurance would cost to include the box
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 07:45 PM   #19
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

360hp 5xxnm seems to be an ideal max figure poping up.. im questioning the RC tune now 🤔

I think having the option to select different tuning levels is an added advantage for the price however, if you want pops and bangs, then you might be better off going with the ecu tune and add in pops and bangs.. 360hp will be at the very top of the rev range anyway so you are not stressing the car always.

Interestingly, I did my first Launch the other day and my wife was in the car with me recording the launch, the car shot so hard (zero wheel spin) that my wifes phone slipped off her hands and hit her on the face! so I can imagine 500nm would be a lot of torque down low. On the RC box max torque (500nm) comes on from 3k to 5k.

Last edited by knali8; 04-28-2020 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 3
MrFoxy372.50
JustChris17426.00
      04-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #20
Stan_Brook
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

For me going in through the ECU isn't an option just yet, sensor box is the safest I think pending the tune is safe 🤷🏼*♂️

TDI's box does look good and first setting is 340hp but your not getting 500nm till mode 5 with 360hp.

I also originally thought the tuning box was the safest until I did a bit more research and realised exactly what they do in terms of tricking the ECU. Not so sure now but this ODB remap kind of seems like a halfway house between a full remap and a tuning box. Also left with a sore head!

Did a bit of research into insurance last night and for me it went from £350 to £550 but haven’t really spent much time on it yet. Would be acceptable to me to pay somewhere in between to have it all covered.....
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 10:08 AM   #21
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I also originally thought the tuning box was the safest until I did a bit more research and realised exactly what they do in terms of tricking the ECU. Not so sure now but this ODB remap kind of seems like a halfway house between a full remap and a tuning box. Also left with a sore head!

Did a bit of research into insurance last night and for me it went from £350 to £550 but haven’t really spent much time on it yet. Would be acceptable to me to pay somewhere in between to have it all covered.....
What info did you get that put you off mate?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #22
Stan_Brook
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
What info did you get that put you off mate?
Don’t know a huge amount on the subject other than what I have researched recently.

The below is a crap video from someone having a rant and slagging off a competitors piece of kit but actually informative and makes sense To me at least....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNu17zA1sRg
Appreciate 1
MrFoxy372.50