Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-29-2024, 11:53 AM   #1
TyreReviews
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E92 M3

Cracked turner rotors through to inside edge after 20 laps

Hey all,

I recently installed the turner motorsport fully floating discs. I noticed last week that both the fronts had cracked through to the edge in multiple places on the outside of the discs

View post on imgur.com

Turner are saying they overheated, I'm not sure what to make of that reason. My car is stock, they've done 3 track days, maybe 7 sessions of 3 hot laps. I warm them and cool them extremely carefully. They're sold as track rotors.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...pXSS0xeFdldVNn

Has anyone had anything similar with any other aftermarket brake rotors?

They are offering to replace them under the lifetime warranty, but that still costs me money and I'll have to get new front brake pads too, which are pagid rs29s so not cheap. I'm concerned this will keep happening. My car is now out of action until I get new front rotors and I'll miss a track day this week.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 12:43 PM   #2
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreReviews View Post
Hey all,

I recently installed the turner motorsport fully floating discs. I noticed last week that both the fronts had cracked through to the edge in multiple places on the outside of the discs

View post on imgur.com

Turner are saying they overheated, I'm not sure what to make of that reason. My car is stock, they've done 3 track days, maybe 7 sessions of 3 hot laps. I warm them and cool them extremely carefully. They're sold as track rotors.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...pXSS0xeFdldVNn

Has anyone had anything similar with any other aftermarket brake rotors?

They are offering to replace them under the lifetime warranty, but that still costs me money and I'll have to get new front brake pads too, which are pagid rs29s so not cheap. I'm concerned this will keep happening. My car is now out of action until I get new front rotors and I'll miss a track day this week.
That's annoying -- certainly seems like a quality issue for something advertised as a track rotor, particularly if you're already mindful with warmup/cooldown.

Why do you have to replace your pads? Do they show a concerning wear pattern?

In another thread I mentioned how I've been using the 034Motorsport option (lifetime warranty from FCP). They've held up after 12-13 events last season, waiting to get back out there this season and see how much more they've got.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 02:33 PM   #3
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

This crack formed due to a stress concentration at the peak of the “arch/semi-circle” between floating mounting tabs. This will likely occur again with future disc replacements. A rotor with good metallurgy should be able to withstand the SCF (fracture analysis to show a maximum flaw size doesn’t grow after X number of thermally-induced cyclic stress. As an FYI, there is no real stress that’s called a thermal stress - you need a mechanical strain to produce stress).

As jfritz27 stated above, why do you need to buy new Pagid pads? You can mix any of new or old rotors with new or old pads. You’d only buy new pads if cracks have formed thru the pad material or you’re close to the wear limit (min 2 mm but some people use 4 mm with is ~1/4 of the starting pad thickness!).

Did you ask Turner what temperature needs to be reached to “overheat” their rotors?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 05:19 PM   #4
TyreReviews
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys, glad we're on the same page about the cracking.

I've always used new pads with new discs but the current pads are fine so I'll just swap out the discs.

I have asked Turner what I can do to avoid this cracking in the future, and I'll ask the question about temperature M3SQRD!

With hindsight I should have followed your advice jfritz27 and gone with the 034s but I thought it would be fun to try something new.

I guess the proof will be if it cracks again. I'll only be doing 3-4 laps per run so hopefully not.

Turner offered a replacement without any arguing so they stand by their warranty, though I did just notice that the discs are now half price for a set, well under the competition so they can't be selling well.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 06:38 PM   #5
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:

I've always used new pads with new discs but the current pads are fine so I'll just swap out the discs.

I have asked Turner what I can do to avoid this cracking in the future, and I'll ask the question about temperature M3SQRD!

With hindsight I should have followed your advice jfritz27 and gone with the 034s but I thought it would be fun to try something new.

I guess the proof will be if it cracks again. I'll only be doing 3-4 laps per run so hopefully not.

Turner offered a replacement without any arguing so they stand by their warranty, though I did just notice that the discs are now half price for a set, well under the competition so they can't be selling well.
Time will tell with the 034's, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Thanks for taking one for the team and reporting back! At least they're standing by the warranty, definitely keep us updated...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 08:39 PM   #6
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Yeah - you can get front and rear rotors for $1663 (40% discount) or just the front for $1422 (3% discount) or just the rear for $788.39 (40% discount). Their pricing is all over the place and it appears they haven’t sold many rear rotors. Although it’s a hassle and a potential safety issue, if they continue to get free replacement rotors then it may be worth it in the long term. I’d say maybe it won’t happen again but it’s already happened to two front rotors.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 10:58 PM   #7
TyreReviews
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Yeah - you can get front and rear rotors for $1663 (40% discount) or just the front for $1422 (3% discount) or just the rear for $788.39 (40% discount). Their pricing is all over the place and it appears they haven’t sold many rear rotors. Although it’s a hassle and a potential safety issue, if they continue to get free replacement rotors then it may be worth it in the long term. I’d say maybe it won’t happen again but it’s already happened to two front rotors.
My concern is that they decide the product is a flop so discontinue it, at that point I'm warrantless!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 11:54 PM   #8
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
My concern is that they decide the product is a flop so discontinue it, at that point I'm warrantless!
Valid and scary point. The fact that they’ve discounted them 40% for the F and R pairs and 40% for the R only suggests they be doing just that. It’s odd the F is discounted only 3%. So maybe they’re trying to either get rid of all stock or just R stock. Either way you lose out. There’s a company called Coleman that will reproduce rotor rings at a low cost. They’ve been around for a while and their rotors are used in racing/track days. I recommend them recently to a f8x owner that has a Stop Tech brake kit with their wide annulus rotor rings which they stopped making. He contacted Coleman and couldn’t believe how inexpensive it was to have two custom rotor rings manufactured. I know you’ll have lost your warranty but at least you could continue to use your F and R aluminum mounting hats. Unfortunately, once ECS bought out the Turner Motorsport part business, the quality of products aren’t at the same level they once were.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 12:05 PM   #9
TyreReviews
Enlisted Member
Rep

Excellent tip, really appreciated thank you! I'll be sure to do that if the worst happens.
Appreciate 0