Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
It's not what a first responder should do. The first responder goes and saves the kids. If you don't think so, maybe you've chosen the wrong profession.
Also, I'm sure the gun did not scare them. You know, the assault rifle.
WOW! Can't save anyone if you're dead!

And your law enforcement experience is???????????
So you don't think they should've risked their lives to go and save the kids? KIDS!!
Was the Parkland resource officer correct in not engaging the shooter?
What is your law-enforcement experience? What is your expectation of first responders?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 03:25 PM   #6426
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
What is your law-enforcement experience? What is your expectation of first responders?
None; therefore I won't pass judgement from the comfort of my family room. I've dealt with much monday-moening-quaterbacking in my profession. I'll let the professionals judge their peers.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615487.00
Sedan_Clan25204.00
      07-25-2022, 07:48 AM   #6427
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Stop feeding the troll

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 5
________4160.00
vreihen1615487.00
      07-25-2022, 11:59 AM   #6428
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Thanks zx10guy for sending me this video. I have some thoughts about it. I am not the most tactical guy out there, but I have been shot at by suspects using an AR-15 and I have cleared residences and buildings of various sizes/dimensions that were inhabited by armed suspects (…it happens weekly where I patrol). I have skin in the game, so to speak. My opinion isn't speculative. It is based off of experience as a patrol officer/deputy who responds to situations without the same equipment as a SWAT-level officer/deputy and with different rules of engagement than my military brethren.

First, let me preface this post by acknowledging the critical incident scene in Uvalde could've been handled better. Hindsight always…….always….renders that an indisputable truth. With that said, most of the people ranting on videos calling the officers cowards are engaging in performance theater. It's absolutely effective click-bait (….in a world where followers and views are monetized; it pays to say whatever needs to be said - good or bad - to generate interest in whatever content you've uploaded).

Yes, as LEO's, we champion for the victimized; they are definitely a priority and we often lose our lives in the process. What confuses me is this notion that, despite the expectation that we do everything perfect the first time (…there is no room for mistakes Mr. LEO…….EVER!!!), somebody in law enforcement is expected to, without ANY consideration for their own lives, sacrifice themselves at all costs…………even when it will not make any negligible difference in the totality of the circumstances (…speaking generally, not referencing any particular situation).

The author of the linked video begins his rant by calling for terminations, rendering the officers incompetent, etc…..the former will likely happen anyway because the shooting triggered lots of emotion. I give him credit at 2:43 for acknowledging that in many of the videos - which were released in segments - there's no context regarding what is being viewed. This is something that shouldn't need to be prefaced, but even still, the armchair quarterbacks are at it relentlessly.

At 18:36 we see the four or five uniformed officers enter the hallway. That hallway offers little to no cover or concealment. The author of the video goes on about heart rates, this and that……and I have to remind viewers that your common LEO is not some John Wick clone. In the real world, physiological response is a component and I would challenge any naysayer to allow me to send live rounds in their direction and "remain calm and controlled in their breathing". You won't ever rid yourself of fear regardless of your level of training. It is very easy to say what you would do until it is happening directly to you. The problem with the approach of those first four or five officers is the fact they aren't moving in tactical unison. They are moving as individuals, which put them in a precarious position. Emotion and the desire to get the bad guy caused them to abandon all of their [presumed] tactical training and just "run in without any tactical consideration." That is NOT cowardice. You can't logically deduce that a person, or persons, can run towards his/her/their potential death(s) and simultaneously be labeled a coward, or cowards, in the process. What those officers should've done was stack up against a wall, long-gun second, shield in front, with the support guns third, fourth and fifth. I absolutely agree with his assessment that the pistols should've followed the rifle (…hence my stack suggestion; it is how we deal with these situations here).

More theater at 34:00 as he rants about the use of the word "containment". It is not uncommon for us to use the same verbiage. Do not be confused. Containment does not mean "Code 4". Containment literally just means the threat is contained in an area without easy ingress/egress.

Another consideration of armchair assessment(s) is the fact that, regardless of what video/camera angle is viewed, it does not show what the officer is seeing. You can watch my body worn camera footage or surveillance footage until you're blue in the face, but it will never give you the perspective from my two eyes.

He goes on to rant about CHP officers in California not having optics on rifles, and attributing that to incompetence. No! There are no optics because there's no funding. Hell, we just received optics last year (…for AR's on the line) for the same reason: funding. We have no control over the money. That is well above our respective pay grades. We can't even get replacement patrol vehicles when one breaks down or is destroyed in a collision. How do you field more officers in the community without patrol vehicles for them to drive? The CHP lost 26 brand new BMW patrol bikes from Long Beach BMW because the department couldn't come up with the money. The dealership/BMW ended up selling the bikes to other departments.

Anyway, those were just a few quick thoughts. It's a long video, so if there's something specific you want opinions on, feel free to inquire.
Appreciate 7
zx10guy5149.50
T0RM3NT3744.50
Buug95917901.00
///d1824.00
paquet629.50
      07-25-2022, 02:22 PM   #6429
leopard print
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Really well for an Asian.

Sedan_Clan Hey bud. Your PM inbox is full.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 03:06 PM   #6430
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
He goes on to rant about CHP officers in California not having optics on rifles, and attributing that to incompetence. No! There are no optics because there's no funding.
If you quit getting raises and OT and 911s, CHP could have optics
      07-25-2022, 03:09 PM   #6431
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
He goes on to rant about CHP officers in California not having optics on rifles, and attributing that to incompetence. No! There are no optics because there's no funding.
If you quit getting raises and OT and 911s, CHP could have optics

We're trying to keep up with inflation. Even with the 13% over the next 3 years, we still haven't matched inflation. The O.T. is forced because we're so short-staffed. Trust me, many don't like working O.T.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615487.00
      07-25-2022, 03:12 PM   #6432
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:

We're trying to keep up with inflation. Even with the 13% over the next 3 years, we still haven't matched inflation. The O.T. is forced because we're so short-staffed. Trust me, many don't like working O.T.
Local POA got 14% over 3 year, IIRC. SEIU is getting 12, plus the "Market Based Adjustment" from the recent class/comp. My unrepresented group is asking for 12 plus MBA. I'm personally -29.8% on MBA

Oh, and all that is PERS-able!!!!
      07-25-2022, 03:14 PM   #6433
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Local POA got 14% over 3 year, IIRC. SEIU is getting 12, plus the "Market Based Adjustment" from the recent class/comp. My unrepresented group is asking for 12 plus MBA. I'm personally -29.8% on MBA

Oh, and all that is PERS-able!!!!
It would seem that we're all tracking similarly, but still not fully aligned with inflation. Ughhhh!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 03:16 PM   #6434
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

For the lulz…..

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CgcdWaS...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I would totally do this.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 03:23 PM   #6435
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For the lulz…..

I would totally do this.
Didn't have gloves to reach into his shweatybauls???
      07-25-2022, 03:28 PM   #6436
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
For the lulz…..

I would totally do this.
Didn't have gloves to reach into his shweatybauls???
Usually, but gloves reduce tactility.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 06:56 PM   #6437
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

One of my partners got the call and is leaving our department. He is transitioning to the D.A.'s office as an Agent. I'm sad to see him go. He's a good dude.
Appreciate 2
Buug95917901.00
      07-25-2022, 08:33 PM   #6438
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For the lulz…..

I would totally do this.

Where was this?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 09:03 PM   #6439
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
For the lulz…..

I would totally do this.

Where was this?
Brazil!
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2022, 10:03 PM   #6440
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Brazil!
Well then, that makes sense!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25204.00
      07-26-2022, 01:46 PM   #6441
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

This was a close call.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgfBA...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Those officers showed more restraint than I think I would have considering the suspect fired one round while on the ground earlier in the struggle.
Appreciate 2
Buug95917901.00
      07-26-2022, 05:06 PM   #6442
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
This was a close call.

Those officers showed more restraint than I think I would have considering the suspect fired one round while on the ground earlier in the struggle.
it amazes me every time - how quickly these things go from 0 to 60.
seems like a normal video, next thing shot fired.
how do you guys handle this shit or what's worse, the possibility of this shit on a daily basis...
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25204.00
      07-26-2022, 06:53 PM   #6443
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
Quote:
This was a close call.

it amazes me every time - how quickly these things go from 0 to 60.
seems like a normal video, next thing shot fired.
how do you guys handle this shit or what's worse, the possibility of this shit on a daily basis...
It makes us skeptical of even the most friendly person. You have to consider that every person is a potential threat.

PragerU makes a good point about blue cities….

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgflB...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Appreciate 3
Buug95917901.00
paquet629.50
cmyx6go15805.00
      07-27-2022, 07:39 AM   #6444
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
It makes us skeptical of even the most friendly person. You have to consider that every person is a potential threat.

i get that - i'd be that way too...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 08:01 AM   #6445
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:

That was in my city.... It's completely out of control. Yesterday afternoon, a guy in a BMW was carjacked at gunpoint a freakin mile from my house. I'm in one of the outer boroughs of NYC with very low crime compared to the rest of the city. The armed robberies, break ins and car jackings are insane. Crime is worse now than it was back in the 80s.

There was a guy running the other day, a car hit him and knocked him flying to the ground. What did the driver do? He pulled over, went to the guy on the floor, robbed him and left him there. Animals!
vreihen1615487.00
      07-27-2022, 08:05 AM   #6446
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Quote:

That was in my city.... It's completely out of control. Yesterday afternoon, a guy in a BMW was carjacked at gunpoint a freakin mile from my house. I'm in one of the outer boroughs of NYC with very low crime compared to the rest of the city. The armed robberies, break ins and car jackings are insane. Crime is worse now than it was back in the 80s.

There was a guy running the other day, a car hit him and knocked him flying to the ground. What did the driver do? He pulled over, went to the guy on the floor, robbed him and left him there. Animals!
I agree. There is a new level of brazen. The policies in the blue states have emboldened criminals to a point where we are almost at a point of no return.
Appreciate 0