F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car swap comparison- Tengocity and GTSussex
proTUNING Freaks

07-24-2015, 02:52 AM   #67
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Thanks for the feedback Ian
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 02:56 AM   #68
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex
Great news Ian - glad you're a happy chappie!!
Cheers Guy. Money well spent.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 03:03 AM   #69
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
......Interestingly, the front end now feels quite twitchy - more so than Terry's 335xD with the same setup. There's some tram lining and 'hunting' on uneven tarmac, the stiffness of the ARBs cause some passive steering input if the surface of the road has sharp undulations from side to side, and the rear of the car is more mobile (willingness to oversteer). I've become so used to having to wrestle the car through fast corners, due to the understeer, that I'm having to recalibrate my steering inputs : less steering angle, more delicate, lighter grip, and more adjustment through the corners. ......
Have you checked the tyre pressures? Could be that simple a solution.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 03:11 AM   #70
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity
Good stuff Ian! Curious about your front end twitchiness... You don't have VSS?

When I changed the tyres I immediately noticed a much better aggressiveness when turning off centre... Is that what you mean?
Hi Terry. No VSS. I think it's a combination of much better bite from the MPSSs and less roll with the ARBs. Steering inputs are now immediate/sharp rather than dulled by weight/understeer, especially off centre, hence the need for me to recalibrate my driving style.
The other factor is that mine's an sD - less weight in the front end may add to the immediacy of the steering.

Regardless, it's not going to affect my enjoyment if the car now.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 03:13 AM   #71
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
......Interestingly, the front end now feels quite twitchy - more so than Terry's 335xD with the same setup. There's some tram lining and 'hunting' on uneven tarmac, the stiffness of the ARBs cause some passive steering input if the surface of the road has sharp undulations from side to side, and the rear of the car is more mobile (willingness to oversteer). I've become so used to having to wrestle the car through fast corners, due to the understeer, that I'm having to recalibrate my steering inputs : less steering angle, more delicate, lighter grip, and more adjustment through the corners. ......
Have you checked the tyre pressures? Could be that simple a solution.

HighlandPete
Good point
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #72
jumperjohn
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X-Drive

The work you had done sounds really positive. I knew it would be but the ARBs sound like a huge improvement.

I wonder how much the torsional rigidity is increased by? A brace must help, like the M3 version.

I found this earlier, the M3 has around 25% more torsional rigidity!

http://blogs.youwheel.com/2014/04/25...ehensive-list/

A knowledgeable chap explains the difference between an M3(4) and a 'lowly' F30 and why the M is stiffer, and other such things.

It seems that with the amount of stiffening going into the M cars the F series must be 'floppy'.

Last edited by jumperjohn; 07-24-2015 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0