E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > PICS Added!! Installed KW V3's and Vorshlag Camber. Mini DIY inside

04-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
PICS Added!! Installed KW V3's and Vorshlag Camber. Mini DIY inside

Decided to tackle this job myself on jack stands in my garage. I took my time and had studied for months on the install, settings, logistics and potential challenges.

With help from several people on this forum and some great DIY videos and threads...I am happy to report that my car is completely transformed....in a most awesome way!!

It was surprisingly not that difficult as long as you have a good set of tools, a rolling stool, good parts table/cart, some kind of an impact wrench (I got a nice one at Lowes by Kolby for around $100 and it has been an awesome addition to my ever-growing stable of tools) and lots of time and patience.

I ran into a few snags with some ckunking in the front end which was due to me not torquing down the strut piston top nut in the camber plate. This is a common hiccup from my research and there are two camps....those that absolutely will not use an impact wrench and those that will use it to give the but a few pumps to out spin the shaft. After debating for hours while working on the rear....I ended up hitting them with an impact and luckily all it did was solve all the clunking and noise. ,

I had to stiffen up the rear bump/dampening and raise up all corners. Also had to reduce my original camber up front from -2 to -1 as I was getting some noise from my right side. Will explore that at another time.

A quick bullet point of how I did the fronts since there isnt much out there for our specifically:
for the xi/awd. Hopefully this will help someone at some point down the road.
- started with fronts
- pulled wheels, undid the upper sway from the strut
- undid the lower strut collar
-disconnected the brake pad sensor and right height sensor(?)
- undid all three top strut mount nuts
- used a star type socket and a mallet to wedge it into the lower strut collar to spread it apart
- supported the rotor/hub with a jack and slowly lowered it down being careful not to let it lean outwards which can pull the half shaft out....and that wouldn't be fun now would it?
- pulled the entire strut assembly up and worked out out of the collar..then removed it.
- already had my new struts with camber plates ready to go
-cleaned everything up and used lots of white lithium grease to allow easy reassembly
- reverse steps with new strut assembly
* torque the three upper strut mount nuts to 25 lbs, strut piston nut to 40 or so lbs with quick blasts from my electric impact gun.... There is no other way and the nut from the vorshlag plates is huge and spins as it is part of a spherical bearing.
**disconnect the factory strut tower braces and move them in towards the engine for easy access and adjustments until you're dialed in.

The rear is the same for all 3 series.

I used the vorshlag factory/OEM style top hat assembly made for the camber plates. Very heavy duty and zero play... Very smooth.

Also...reused the upper nut/pad and lower pad assembly on the rear shocks.

Had to adjust everything one more time but so far it is like driving a new car. Huge improvement in steering sharpness.

Camber adjustments are as easy as jacking one side at a time, undoing the 3 top strut nuts and pushing or pulling on the wheel to slide it back and forth. It really is easy.

I am absolutely thrilled with this setup and highly recommend it to anyone on the fence. I also recommend manning up and installing I yourself. It is a great feeling and you really get to understand your car.

Also found a nice solution for the rear upper spring perch issue where the base spins when using the spanner. I have a channel lock style oil filter plyer with rubber grips and notches. It was absolutely perfect for holding the perch base from one side while you work the spanner on the other. Easy as pie.

Next up will be some M3 components and maybe a sway bar but it is so good as-is I will just enjoy this for likely a long time.

Please feel free to hit me up if you have any questions. I'm not a master mechanic nor do I think I am ....but I successfully did this and would be happy to help if I can.

Will post some pics later.

Cheers!
Attached Images

Last edited by stashtrey; 05-04-2014 at 01:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #2
miker2013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 6mt Msport coupe

how long did it take you? why did you have to raise the coilovers once done?

i am thinking of the same setup w/ camber plates for a street setup

thx for the post, looking fwd to seeing pics
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 12:07 AM   #3
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I did the front yesterday. I took my time, cleaned a lot of stuff while I had the car up and wheels off etc. I had the V3's in up front in about 2.5 hours. I spent another 2+ hours testing and addressing the hiccups and going back over little things.

I then took a break and fell asleep. Woke up at 10pm and got back on the job to so the rears by 11pm. I had the rears in by 2 am but I spent a bunch of time during that session reading up on little things and again....cleaning the underbody and farting around.

If I had to do it again now...I imagine I could do it in 3-4 hours and likely not have to go back over anything. It was a good learning experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #4
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Nice write-up! Would be so kind as to share some before and after pictures?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb View Post
Nice write-up! Would be so kind as to share some before and after pictures?
I absolutely will in a few days. Travelling on business. I actually drove the car from Sacramento to Southern Oregon last night. Unreal how comfortable and sharp the car drives now. Super impressive. Not once did my suspension bottom out or make a cringe-inducing l, violent crash. I even aimed at potholes and bumpa etc. .

Magical.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
I absolutely will in a few days. Travelling on business. I actually drove the car from Sacramento to Southern Oregon last night. Unreal how comfortable and sharp the car drives now. Super impressive. Not once did my suspension bottom out or make a cringe-inducing l, violent crash. I even aimed at potholes and bumpa etc. .

Magical.
Good to hear! I just ordered a set this morning. Looking forward to some pictures!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 02:15 AM   #7
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Bumpity bump.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
bimmerdreamz
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Great review and nice tips. Thanks for the sharing this! I have been on the considering these for a while now. Sounds like a must have! Boston roads are way too bad and I feel sad for my car!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 11:34 PM   #9
joebattle1
Rep
Drives: BMW 06 325xit Wagon

Would you ever consider coming to the city and helping me put a pair on my wagon? I'm on the fence on V1 vs V3's. I have a great tool set with air and have worked on many of my vehicles but haven't had the confidence to do this my self. I'll buy the beer.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 01:24 AM   #10
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebattle1 View Post
Would you ever consider coming to the city and helping me put a pair on my wagon? I'm on the fence on V1 vs V3's. I have a great tool set with air and have worked on many of my vehicles but haven't had the confidence to do this my self. I'll buy the beer.
Hey sorry I didn't see this until now. I might consider it but being in the bay area you should be able to find someone local to do it for $200-300 easy. Best bet as I'm busy as shit with work. I'd love to help but not realistic.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0