E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BC Racing or Megan Racing

04-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
Projekt_BooGie
Average Car Exceeding Expectations (ACEE)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
BC Racing or Megan Racing

Ok ya'll I know the answer to this question from most of you guys are going to be KW....well unfortunately KW is not an option at this time.

Megan Racing: http://www.meganracing.com/product_d...=1153&catid=29
Features:
•Spring Rates: 7kg Front and 11kg Rear
•32 Levels of Adjustable Damper
•Pillow Ball Upper Mounts.
•Rubber Dust Covers.
•Adjustable Ride Height
•Aggressive Spring Rates
•Single-Cylinder Design
•Aluminum Brackets
•All coilover damper kits come with 1 year manufacture-defect warranty.
•All Hardware is Included
•32 Levels of Adjustment:
1-8: Suggested for track use.
9-16: Suggested for mountain/aggressive use.
17-32: Suggested for common street use.

BR Racing: http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/coilovers-series-br/
Pillowball upper mount
spring rates 7kg front / 11 kg rear
Camber adjustable top mounts
Aluminium top plates
30 way adjustable damping
Adjustable spring platform
Height adjustment via bottom mount to retain full damper travel
Bearing mounted upper front spring platform
Dust boot to protect damper seals
* some features are dependent on model

too much to list...just know its wide and bagged
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Projekt_BooGie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
bump.....doesn't any have any thoughts???

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
turugara
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe, 6 Speed

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
What are you using these for? Track/street/show?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Because given the two, most would probably say neither. I would just get springs for less money than either of those 2 coilovers.
      04-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
The Megan coilovers ... on paper they offer some high end features; how they advertise spring rates is strange and while it says "single cylinder" ... I guess they're saying it's monotube? Either the company refers to things differently OR something's not being said/it's being said to mean it's better than it is (I bank on the latter). For $999, which is dirt cheap given the feature set, I'm skeptical and that's an understatement.

As turugara noted, what's your goal with the coilovers?
      04-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Projekt_BooGie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turugara View Post
What are you using these for? Track/street/show?
daily drive and show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Because given the two, most would probably say neither. I would just get springs for less money than either of those 2 coilovers.
I have springs now, H&R Race, and the ride is starting to become really bumpy on stock sport. I thought about just getting new struts, but $800 for Koni = Megan Or BC Racing coilovers. I looked at the comparison as for KW and some of the others, and besides the name...is the only major difference, unless I'm missing something??? I understand majority of people on here are KW fans

I was looking for something that had height, dampening, and camber adjustability. (never know when you want to go lower)

Last edited by Projekt_BooGie; 04-17-2012 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEE View Post
I understand majority of people on here are KW fans
Gotta go on a short rant.

KW excels at marketing and the reason so many people have them is because of that, and the chain effect "I got them because my friend has them and he says they're good". I don't hold KW's consumer line in high regard unless you're talking about the Clubsport, and even then I'd get something else.

M3Post has a much better suspension forum though the parts discussed there sometimes aren't available for the 335 stock suspension. On E90post most people are concerned with lowering and 'slamming' and that results in some ill-fated decisions.

At any rate, installing the race springs on stock shocks was a bad idea and their aggressive spring rate and shortened height probably ate the life out of your shocks at a fairly rapid rate.

I'd look into some Koni Yellow shocks, they can be adjusted to match your current H&R springs.
Alternatively you could look at a lowering kit like the ST V1 or KW V1 but I'd much rather have an independent shock and spring combo like you'd have if you went the Koni Yellow route. Performance and ride will be superior.
      04-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Projekt_BooGie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Gotta go on a short rant.

KW excels at marketing and the reason so many people have them is because of that, and the chain effect "I got them because my friend has them and he says they're good". I don't hold KW's consumer line in high regard unless you're talking about the Clubsport, and even then I'd get something else.

M3Post has a much better suspension forum though the parts discussed there sometimes aren't available for the 335 stock suspension. On E90post most people are concerned with lowering and 'slamming' and that results in some ill-fated decisions.

At any rate, installing the race springs on stock shocks was a bad idea and their aggressive spring rate and shortened height probably ate the life out of your shocks at a fairly rapid rate.
I'd look into some Koni Yellow shocks, they can be adjusted to match your current H&R springs.
Alternatively you could look at a lowering kit like the ST V1 or KW V1 but I'd much rather have an independent shock and spring combo like you'd have if you went the Koni Yellow route. Performance and ride will be superior.
I don't mind rants...I do it all the time lol

yeah I knew that too lol. I'm not trying to slam the car just adjusting the ride. I thought about the Koni Yellows and FSD, but I've seen a lot of threads mentioning the H&R Race springs were still to low for those struts. Another reason why I was considering these was b/c of price, for the price of the Koni struts I could get a lower end coilover system. I know these are not "TRACK READY", as I'm not tracking the car. It was just an option.

I didn't want ST V1 or KW V1 b/c I can't adjust the dampening.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6MT

I have been wondering the same.

I have only seen one member on here run Megan coilovers and he says he has had no problems: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598490

I have seen more members run BC Racing co's (over Megans). They pop up in the for sale section every so often. Try a search and PM the sellers to get their thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i 6MT

Not trying to thread jack here but i thought this may help anyone looking into the megans, I got BNIB Megans sitting in my garage, i opted for the HP Autowerks Koni coilover kit instead. I haven't officially put them up for sale but if anyone is interested shoot me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEE View Post
I don't mind rants...I do it all the time lol

yeah I knew that too lol. I'm not trying to slam the car just adjusting the ride. I thought about the Koni Yellows and FSD, but I've seen a lot of threads mentioning the H&R Race springs were still to low for those struts. Another reason why I was considering these was b/c of price, for the price of the Koni struts I could get a lower end coilover system. I know these are not "TRACK READY", as I'm not tracking the car. It was just an option.

I didn't want ST V1 or KW V1 b/c I can't adjust the dampening.
The Koni Yellow are rebound adjustable so they're looking like an even better option. Don't bother with the FSDs if you can afford the Yellows. Yellows have better damping.

A coilover system isn't magical - it's just a matched shock and spring set with adjustable ride height. I call the lowest-priced coilovers 'lowering kits' because that's their essence. ST, KW V1, and so on will not do anything for your car besides provide that height adjustment. They're not advertised to do anything else.

I don't like said lowering kits because they're not made to particularly high quality standards (reliability issues - leaking, noise ...) and the damping quality varies. The damping quality is the primary difference between a suspension that rides and responds like shit and a great one (loosely speaking, of course). So don't skimp on shocks. Koni is a proven technology and used in a lot of higher end track-oriented coilover systems like TC Kline.

For similar money, you can buy your own shocks and springs and get a superior quality system - which is what you'll have with the Yellows and matched springs.

And you're right that the Yellows are still not going to be that comfortable. It's the Race spring; the shock has so little travel that it's going to be a bumpy road period, good luck finding a shock that handles a 'race' spring well. IMO - replacing the race springs with something more practical would be highly beneficial. Probably not the thing you wanted to hear but I see it as the correct path.

So, shocks+springs or a coilover kit. I don't have experience with the two coilover kits you're looking at other than being skeptical of the Megan's for what they're offering at that price point.

Edit: and I never did ask about a budget ... how, typical of me.

Last edited by CJ421; 04-17-2012 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
modojojo
Private
Rep
Drives: 328 XDrive

I'm also looking into into the Meagan racing coilovers. IMO as long as your not racing or doing track laps you'll be fine with daily daily driving. If you just get springs your stock shocks will probably be done in less than 12 months with daily driving. Use the forum search and look up Meagan racing. There are members that have been running the coilovers without problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
Projekt_BooGie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
The Koni Yellow are rebound adjustable so they're looking like an even better option. Don't bother with the FSDs if you can afford the Yellows. Yellows have better damping.

A coilover system isn't magical - it's just a matched shock and spring set with adjustable ride height. I call the lowest-priced coilovers 'lowering kits' because that's their essence. ST, KW V1, and so on will not do anything for your car besides provide that height adjustment. They're not advertised to do anything else.

I don't like said lowering kits because they're not made to particularly high quality standards (reliability issues - leaking, noise ...) and the damping quality varies. The damping quality is the primary difference between a suspension that rides and responds like shit and a great one (loosely speaking, of course). So don't skimp on shocks. Koni is a proven technology and used in a lot of higher end track-oriented coilover systems like TC Kline.

For similar money, you can buy your own shocks and springs and get a superior quality system - which is what you'll have with the Yellows and matched springs.

And you're right that the Yellows are still not going to be that comfortable. It's the Race spring; the shock has so little travel that it's going to be a bumpy road period, good luck finding a shock that handles a 'race' spring well. IMO - replacing the race springs with something more practical would be highly beneficial. Probably not the thing you wanted to hear but I see it as the correct path.

So, shocks+springs or a coilover kit. I don't have experience with the two coilover kits you're looking at other than being skeptical of the Megan's for what they're offering at that price point.

Edit: and I never did ask about a budget ... how, typical of me.
Thanks I really appreciate the response. I know the H&R sport and KONI are perfect match, but I am wanting a little lower then sports (even though for some reason some sport springs are as low as race ) As for price honestly $800-$900 (give or take) these coils fall into that range. Thats why I brought up these brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modojojo View Post
I'm also looking into into the Meagan racing coilovers. IMO as long as your not racing or doing track laps you'll be fine with daily daily driving. If you just get springs your stock shocks will probably be done in less than 12 months with daily driving. Use the forum search and look up Meagan racing. There are members that have been running the coilovers without problems.
yeah I've searched not only e90 side but also the M3 side and there have been a few people use them and were happy with them. Honestly I have not seen any bad post. A lot of post from people saying not to get them, but nothing bad from any actual users. They seem to work well with JDM cars...IDK Only thing I got was someone said a friend put a set on and after a year they blew, but I haven't gotten a response back yet with answers like: how low was he and what type of driving?

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

No personal experience with the china made re-branded coilovers, but of my 3 friends that did go this route, 2 of them blew the shocks within a year and 1 had problem after problem and sold it after 3 months. YMMV.

Why dont you just wait and buy used coilovers. I sold my KW V3's with less then 5,000 miles on it for $1100. Thats only 2..300 more then you'd pay for these no names. I see cheap used coilovers on sale all the time.
      04-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

These brands are fairly popular with japanese cars. They are "okay" for basic coilovers, but they are all lower-end monotube dampers with the cheap needle valve adjusters. read the fine print and see what kind of warranty you get. The Megan's say 1 year, and the BC's just say limited warranty.

A friend of mine had Megans on his STi, and didn't have any issues with them, but that was a few years back, and I'm not sure if he still has them.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the block

I say go with megans, I have them on now. I have a few friends that have them on their m3 e92 and a bunch of friends with 350z. All of them track and drift with the megans (not i though) and the coils are still in good shape.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #17
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

I say BC, I'm honestly considering selling my kw's and buying BC's simply because I can't go low enough on kw's.

The way I see it KW are more track coils rather than street coils like BC/Megan.

I know personally 4 guys that run BC on there e30's and they all aware by them.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 05:03 AM   #18
Redrkt503
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335is

I had BC coilover's on my genesis coupe on honestly, it was the best 900$ I had spent. They were a very strong, well performing coilover kit that went low as HELL. You can literally drop the car to the point of not driving. They were dampening as well as camber adjustable and I loved them. Considering a set for my 335.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #19
Projekt_BooGie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
thanks everyone for the info.

Appreciate 0