Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #23
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post

I can't imagine how frustrated you must get driving that Q7 lol
If you ever venture this way, and you don't know all the possible curse words in four languages, I'm more than willing to give you a ride in that mountain, and after that you have all the knowledge needed to travel in Europe.

That car is slowly killing my will to live, and the fact that the tires are shit and one can actually slide that, doesn't help. I have never driven anything less appealing than that, since it works, it's nice but the total lack of personality and design fit to anyone with no eye sight is driving me crazy. Sometimes I feel like the prius people are doing it more right, and that thought pattern is so wrong in every level, that I want to throw rocks at myself.

I think that just about sums it up.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #24
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Since the MT comes from the 1M a car that is universally loved by pretty much every reviewer and owner I'm not really concerned about the mechanics. I can't recall anyone saying they wished their 1M had a DCT, maybe they exist but if so they aren't very vocal. I'd still like more input on the MT than just being a bit slow due to a rubbery shifter action.

But on the other hand there's been reviews saying that the M4 is more of a small M5 than a large 1M and the M5 is not the best match to an MT.

Finally with the new car possibly having lost some drive train excitement I personally think an MT could be just the right medicine for someone like me who comes from the E9X with DCT. I'm now 100% sure I'll stick with the MT even if it's not the most satisfying MT around it's still has the 3rd pedal
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #25
cpippolo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

I'm torn as well. My ATS is auto because I couldn't get 6 cyl with manual. All my cars up to that point were manual (9 in total). I miss the involvement of a manual. I know the DCT is much better than the auto on my CTS, but a manual just makes normal driving more involving and fun for me. Stop and go traffic is a bit of a nuisance, but not a big deal. A few of the reviews said go with the manual because it's good and saves $2900, but most seem to prefer the DCT. That said, most reviewers didn't drive both. I'm not going to order until I get to test drive. Hopefully by then some members will have taken delivery of a manual and will provide their views on the manual.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #26
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCobra08 View Post
that whole "it's rubbery" complaint pisses me off, of course it is it, the bushings need at least a couple thousand miles to break in. The bimmerpost review picked the MT over DCT so I really don't care what anyone else says. Fact of the matter is, if this car didn't have a MT, I probably wouldn't buy it. Although if I were to buy the big beast F10, I'd get the DCT cause a manual with that car is less nimble.

...and that's the bottom line for me when it comes to any car. I also have already resigned myself to buying a used GT3 when the time comes because they are ditching the MT.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #27
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
...and that's the bottom line for me when it comes to any car. I also have already resigned myself to buying a used GT3 when the time comes because they are ditching the MT.
We are so over when you go to the team ugly. I understand desire to have a manual, but that's too much of a sacrifice.

Desire, need, must. I can't drive without one, so I probably end up with a used ugly too someday.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #28
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
Sort of....but as someone who has owned a DCT car in the past as well as manuals-----IMO either you want a manual or you don't. That's kind of the way I see this whole gearbox equation----at least in terms of discussion within an enthusiast model like the M3/M4.
See I have owned neither but I did drive both often, I also rented a 6MT 996 for a weekend. It was fun and I had the time of my life but when I took it for a mountain I wished I did not have to take my hands off the steering wheel for some of the hairpins. On the other hand DCT is a $3000 option and adds 88lbs (correct me if i'm wrong) to the car.

At the end of the day I'm happy with my decision, and look forward to learning how to heel-toe. If I don't like the 6MT, at lease-end I'll just sell the car and get into an LCI model w/DCT
you won't regret getting a manual, man. good choice!

dual clutch gearboxes are really great....in spirit I really do think they are clutch less manuals rather than automatics.....but they have a different type of involvement which is less physical and more technological. can't go wrong with either but if you have 'the itch' for a manual then it cannot be scratched by a DCT.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #29
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice
Since the MT comes from the 1M a car that is universally loved by pretty much every reviewer and owner I'm not really concerned about the mechanics. I can't recall anyone saying they wished their 1M had a DCT, maybe they exist but if so they aren't very vocal. I'd still like more input on the MT than just being a bit slow due to a rubbery shifter action.

But on the other hand there's been reviews saying that the M4 is more of a small M5 than a large 1M and the M5 is not the best match to an MT.

Finally with the new car possibly having lost some drive train excitement I personally think an MT could be just the right medicine for someone like me who comes from the E9X with DCT. I'm now 100% sure I'll stick with the MT even if it's not the most satisfying MT around it's still has the 3rd pedal
my 135is has the same gearbox as the 1M and it is BRILLIANT. best manual I've owned. Smooth, direct, and with lots of feel.

the F8X manual is supposed to be directly derived from this gearbox which means it will be a winner.

I could do without the rev matching that they say the F8X comes with though.....I'd rather do that on my own but whatever! FWIW the M235 also has the same gearbox as the 1M and the LCI 135i/135is.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #30
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

cool
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #31
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
We are so over when you go to the team ugly. I understand desire to have a manual, but that's too much of a sacrifice.

Desire, need, must. I can't drive without one, so I probably end up with a used ugly too someday.
HAHHA. Porsche has been reduced to Team Ugly now? Love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #32
Yay-Z
Shifting to Top Gear
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/E70 X5

DCT is better
      05-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #33
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yay-Z View Post
DCT is better
Especially for the M3, DCT IS better than 6MT.
6MT is more fun because (can't believe I'm saying this again) you get to "row" your "aun gearz"
Nothing more nothing less.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #34
Lups
Rep

Quote:
HAHHA. Porsche has been reduced to Team Ugly now? Love it.
Yeah, I would have bought one, if my eyes would just stop functioning. I can't help it, there is just so much wrong with the look, and since I do have a light in the garage, Porsches are out.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #35
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I would have bought one, if my eyes would just stop functioning. I can't help it, there is just so much wrong with the look, and since I do have a light in the garage, Porsches are out.

I see the fat ass of that low slung bitch on freeways and damn near get a hard-on each and every time. I just wanna reach out and molest it......spank its hips and play with its throttle a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #36
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Bubble View Post
Especially for the M3, DCT IS better than 6MT.
6MT is more fun because (can't believe I'm saying this again) you get to "row" your "aun gearz"
Nothing more nothing less.
So this is the F8x vs E9x argument in microcosm? One is the clearly technologically superior one, the other more "fun/raw/old school/whatever"?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #37
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
So this is the F8x vs E9x argument in microcosm? One is the clearly technologically superior one, the other more "fun/raw/old school/whatever"?
It has been the argument ever since SMG II was introduced in the E46. It'll never go away.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #38
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
It has been the argument ever since SMG II was introduced in the E46. It'll never go away.
It will likely go away with the next generation M cars. The MT is likely next to the BMW execution block now when the NA engine is extinct. No , wait they still have one HPS model to kill. I think the X1 can still be had with HPS but after HPS it's the MT's turn to die of enthusiast options.

These forums will be mighty quite after that
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #39
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
It will likely go away with the next generation M cars. The MT is likely next to the BMW execution block now when the NA engine is extinct. No , wait they still have one HPS model to kill. I think the X1 can still be had with HPS but after HPS it's the MT's turn to die of enthusiast options.

These forums will be mighty quite after that
If the MT dies off following the F8X ///M3, I guess I'll be keeping the F8X (...or buying the used Porsche; I WILL own that car). I refuse to drive an 'automatic'. Absolutely refuse! The DCT could be 5 seconds faster and I still wouldn't want it.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #40
Lups
Rep

Quote:
I see the fat ass of that low slung bitch on freeways and damn near get a hard-on each and every time. I just wanna reach out and molest it......spank its hips and play with its throttle a bit.
Oh coffee, you really need to get laid. Hanging arse is not a good thing for the esthetics, wide I can not judge due to mirrors.

Oh well, in my case the skates will fix it, Porsche needs more drastic measures to be taken.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #41
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
If the MT dies off following the F8X ///M3, I guess I'll be keeping the F8X (...or buying the used Porsche; I WILL own that car). I refuse to drive an 'automatic'. Absolutely refuse! The DCT could be 5 seconds faster and I still wouldn't want it.
Oh please, here we go again
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #42
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
If you ever venture this way, and you don't know all the possible curse words in four languages, I'm more than willing to give you a ride in that mountain, and after that you have all the knowledge needed to travel in Europe.

That car is slowly killing my will to live, and the fact that the tires are shit and one can actually slide that, doesn't help. I have never driven anything less appealing than that, since it works, it's nice but the total lack of personality and design fit to anyone with no eye sight is driving me crazy. Sometimes I feel like the prius people are doing it more right, and that thought pattern is so wrong in every level, that I want to throw rocks at myself.

I think that just about sums it up.
Sounds kin dof like how I feel when driving my grandma's lexus es 330 god that car SUCKS
      05-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #43
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Just curious does anyone know if you can do Launch Control with the 6MT in the F8x?
      05-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #44
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I keep getting stuck on the 89lbs. and $2900.
Appreciate 0