E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Devils' Own Methanol Injection Kit Review

01-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

Devils' Own Methanol Injection Kit Review plus installed pics added

I just received my Devil's Own kit from UPS today, and I have to say I am VERY impressed of the components you get with this kit for the price. The kit comes very well packaged and shipping is very fast, I ordered on Friday and got it on Monday. Anyway here are some pics of what comes with the kit. Please don't ask me to compare it to my CM kit that I previously had, as I have nothing but respect for David and Terry and their kit, this is about the Devils kit. I like to try new things and my wife hates it. BTW thanks to my boy Laloosh for putting me on to this kit.

I didn't want to open some of the bags because I am not yet ready to install it just yet and I don't want to lose any parts but I will describe it the best I can. I also love the black and red color this kit comes in, matches my car perfectly.

*In the 1st pic is your small parts like the most impressive wire taps i've ever seen, inline fuse, extra black and red wire, T connect for you boost line etc. etc. But the most important thing in this bag is your adjustable boost switch. It is made out of brass so its built to last and has an adjustable knob on it to set your boost from 6-30psi so there is no guessing.

*In the 2nd pic I have my 3 quart tank which is plenty for me. no need to get into this it just a tank but I have the perfect spot to mount this.

*In the 3rd pics is the pump, not to much you can say about a pump. Its adjustable from 150-250psi, it comes set from Devil at 200psi.

* In the 4th pic you get very detailed instructions on how to install your kit.

*In the 6th pic is the relay. You wire the pump the boost switch and everything to this.

*In the 7th pic you have the float switch. Its self sealing, this thing looks very good and I will be hooking it up to a LED to monitor my Meth level.

*In this 8th pic you get the nozzles, checkvalve, nozzle holders, Y split to run dual nozzles. I took these out and took a better pic in the next pic.

*In the 9th pic is the self sealing water tank tap with filter, checkvalve, Y split, nozzle holders, and nozzles they come in a very neat holder.

*In this last pic is a pic of one of the nozzles(not a very good pic,camera sucks). This is one of the little things that impressed me about this kit. It comes with a nut on it so there is no more stripping your threads when taking apart the nozzle. And on the side of the nozzle it is clearly labeled what size nozzle it is.

Now you get everything in this kit for just $245 the tank and float switch was an extra $20, and the dual nozzle upgrade(which includes the Y connector the second nozzle holder is an exra $20 as well. So all in all I paid $285 plus $6 shipping straight to me. I think this is a great deal and you definitely get your moneys worth with this kit and it is another alternative on the market for us.

*Ooops sorry the last pic is the Hose and the wire looms to clean up the installation.

Ask away if you have any questions about the kit.
Attached Images

Last edited by Terrance28; 01-22-2010 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I also went with the DO5 nozzle because of the fact that it had a nut to tighten and loosen the nozzle and the orifice has a recessed lip which creates it to spray and atomize in a more tighter cylindrical pattern compared to the other nozzle out there....What I don't like about this kit is all the plastic fittings....
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The only thing that is plastic in this kit is the tank tap, the float switch and the Y connector to run the dual nozzles. Which is totally acceptable to me.

Last edited by Terrance28; 01-19-2010 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
2008_335i_coupe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe, Apline White

why did you change kits?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
The only thing that is plastic in this kit is the tank tap and the float switch and the Y connector to run the dual nozzles. Which is totally acceptable to me.
lol...thats almost the entire fuel fittings!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Draven
C7Z - Darkside
Rep
Drives: '18 Z06 M7

It might be a little restrictive, that 1 into 2 small dual exhaust, don't you think?

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
lol...thats almost the entire fuel fittings!
Huh I don't understand why you think that is a weak link but ok if you say so. Maybe if you see it first hand why it is self sealing and understand how it seals then the doubts will leave your mind. As for it being plastic I don't see that as an issue whatsoever, and I will prove that once I install it.

Last edited by Terrance28; 01-19-2010 at 12:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
It might be a little restrictive, that 1 into 2 small dual exhaust, don't you think?

Sorry no restrictions, it might look that way but once you see it first hand you will change your mind.
      01-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

If this was a peice of crap kit trust me it would be in the same box on its way back to Devil owns, but everything about this kit assures me it isn't. And I will prove it when I install it, this is not my first time going to the prom.

Guys this is not the end all be all kit this is just another option for us out there at a great price. This kit is no different than any basic kit from any of the other manufacturers. I can buy a cmgs gauge and it will work the same with this kit as it does with the CM kit or the snow smart injection and so on and on. Its a basic universal kit.

Last edited by Terrance28; 01-19-2010 at 02:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Got around to finishing the install yesterday no leaks at all from the get go.
Attached Images

01-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Is there a fail-safe mechanism that works with your JB3 1.4 and maybe 2.0 when you upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
carve
Major
Rep

Looks pretty nice. It's really hot & high where I live, so I was considering water or meth injection, but most kits seem overpriced.

Is the tank hard to fill, tucked under the edge of the fender like that? Where did you put the jets? How hard do you think this would be to remove for warranty work? Did you consider trying to find a more hidden place for it, like in a front fender or under the hood somewhere? Is it full on/ full off, or does it turn up the flow as boost increases? It seems like if it was on/off, you'd be really meth rich when it kicked on at low rpm/high boost, and then it would be a bit meth lean as the revs climbed. Is there a dial to set when it starts flowing? Finally, where do you buy the meth at?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #13
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Looks pretty nice. It's really hot & high where I live, so I was considering water or meth injection, but most kits seem overpriced.

Is the tank hard to fill, tucked under the edge of the fender like that? Where did you put the jets? How hard do you think this would be to remove for warranty work? Did you consider trying to find a more hidden place for it, like in a front fender or under the hood somewhere? Is it full on/ full off, or does it turn up the flow as boost increases? It seems like if it was on/off, you'd be really meth rich when it kicked on at low rpm/high boost, and then it would be a bit meth lean as the revs climbed. Is there a dial to set when it starts flowing? Finally, where do you buy the meth at?
No its not hard to fill I have a flexible funnel that you can pick up at auto zone. I put the jets in my Stett CP. I can have this removed in 20-30 minutes, the pump is held down with high strenght velcro. I probably could've hidden the pump under the lift up section under the carpet in the trunk but didn't want to. I have it set to come on at 10psi and it will not shut off as long as I am above 10psi, so that is not an issue. Yes there is a boost pressure switch that you can set it at which boost you want to start flowing meth from 6-30psi. I buy the meth at my local track for $4 a gallon, I have a 5 gallon jug that I fill up whenever I need it.
      01-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #14
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklocust View Post
Is there a fail-safe mechanism that works with your JB3 1.4 and maybe 2.0 when you upgrade?
I have been running meth for a while now with no failsafe and have been running map9 daily with no issues. If I want to get a failsafe later all I would have to do is either buy the cmgs gauge or the snow controller and hook it up. I do have a float switch hooked up to an led I wired in the ashtray that works great though.
      01-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
Htown09
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92

Thanks for the review. Kit look's good.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #16
shoes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BSM E92 335i

One thing no one ever comments on is the drive-ability when running meth.

I don't think this would really change kit from kit, but since we're on the subject I'll ask here: how does the car handle with meth?
Is the response smooth? or does when the meth kick in you get thrown back abruptly?

I'm just curious because I'm considering running meth myself but have no experience with it.
The more I know about it the better.
      01-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #17
carve
Major
Rep

+1. Can you feel it when it kicks in? If it kicks in without flooring it, does it stumble or anything? Any CELs?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 08:14 PM   #18
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

On map 9 with 93 octane its a smooth hard pull all the way through, you just know that the car is loving it because of how good the car pulls with no stumbles. The power is definitely there when spraying meth.
      01-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #19
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
+1. Can you feel it when it kicks in? If it kicks in without flooring it, does it stumble or anything? Any CELs?
You can definitely feel when the meth kicks on especially if you have a tune that is setup for meth....The car feels really strong and pulls to redline from gear to gear...Then when you run the same run without it, the car pulls, but not as fierce!! lol
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #20
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008_335i_coupe View Post
why did you change kits?
+1 .......

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 05:41 AM   #21
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

that is relatively cheap when compared to the other kits available. is it specific to our platform, failsafes, can you control flow based on load?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #22
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyFiasco View Post
that is relatively cheap when compared to the other kits available. is it specific to our platform, failsafes, can you control flow based on load?
This is just a basic kit just like CM basic kit as well as snow. If you want a failsafe like with those basic kit you are gonna have to buy a progressive controller like the cmgs gauge or the snow controller. Other than that you will get a boost switch with your basic kit. You can incorporate any of those controllers with this kit or just get the devil controller(its the size of a bms gauge). The only thing is that this basic kit is $100 cheaper with to me more quality parts.