BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

04-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

Would full akra evo affect warranty for bad ICV

Hello gents,

Question! For the past week or so my car has experiened a slight prolonged ignition on cold start. This morning I woke up to go work and when I turned car on the rpms began dropping to about 4-500. It almost felt as if the car would stall but after a few seconds the rpms went up to normal and the car ran flawlessly. After searching I believe it might be the idle control valve. Unfortunately the ecu did not throw any faults/ CEL. The dealer said over the phone that I'd have to leave the car over night so a tech could try and replicate the problem on a cold start. Would having a full akra evo affect my warranty regarding this issue if it indeed would be the icv or fuel pump. I was just wondering if anyone had this issue. I saw a similar thread but no mention of mods such as full exhaust or tune? I'm not sure if any of these possible problems could be linked to the exhaust system?
Thanks
Joe
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
And1M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 MR FR/Bk

To risk no warranty issue, I would return the car back to stock first, so dealer won't blame it on the akrapovic. After everything is work out and the dealer finds the problem, then I would put back the exhaust. If the dealer finds nothing wrong, then it might be the Akra Evo.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

If it were me, I'd wait for it to drop a warning before you start working yourself up into a lather of worry. My old '08 M would do this when weather changed sometimes (it seemed), but the idle would go up/down for a moment on cold start and then even out fine shortly after.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
If it were me, I'd wait for it to drop a warning before you start working yourself up into a lather of worry. My old '08 M would do this when weather changed sometimes (it seemed), but the idle would go up/down for a moment on cold start and then even out fine shortly after.
Same as mine. Then the issue kind of goes away. I wouldn't worry too much about it now, but if it gets worse, I would assume the dealership would try to blame the exhaust. That really wouldn't surprise me.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

This is the total double edge sword of the forums, it's so informative, that sometimes any "unusual sounds" or fluctuation in the car - you freak out with endless worry and say there's something "wrong", let's bring it in for service. I speak for myself mainly hahahaha.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: something with 4 wheels

I just got my car back from having the ICV replaced under warranty. Granted I just have the OEM exhaust mod, which they didn't ask about and it is louder than stock. The only thing they asked was if I had any performance software, which I don't. They kept the car overnight, started it up cold, and the idle issues presented themselves. They replaced it with no fuss and it wasn't throwing any codes.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

they can void your warranty and deny your claim if you have any modification. But should be fine most of the time
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #8
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartMD View Post
Hello gents,

Question! For the past week or so my car has experiened a slight prolonged ignition on cold start. This morning I woke up to go work and when I turned car on the rpms began dropping to about 4-500. It almost felt as if the car would stall but after a few seconds the rpms went up to normal and the car ran flawlessly. After searching I believe it might be the idle control valve. Unfortunately the ecu did not throw any faults/ CEL. The dealer said over the phone that I'd have to leave the car over night so a tech could try and replicate the problem on a cold start. Would having a full akra evo affect my warranty regarding this issue if it indeed would be the icv or fuel pump. I was just wondering if anyone had this issue. I saw a similar thread but no mention of mods such as full exhaust or tune? I'm not sure if any of these possible problems could be linked to the exhaust system?
Thanks
Joe
Since a catless exhaust alters the input into the ECU, it can most certainly cause a dealer to void any warranty claim related to engine function.
      04-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
These cars will do this from time to time, especially with a change in weather.

It may be signs of an ICV on the way out, but it could be years before it actually poses a problem. My car did this about 20K miles ago and hasn't since.

If it keeps happening I would take it in. The akra will make no difference here but you know how dealers are...

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0