BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-26-2019, 04:34 AM   #1
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

The Cayenne Also has issues....

My shortlist is Cayenne S, X7 or X5.

Have really spent a lot of time on the forums so that I don’t get buyers remorse. For all the complaints here are also on Cayenne(except wrinkled seats) and I am pretty sure Merc will have issues. The computerization of cars will only lead to more software problems, 1st year quirks getting worse.

Sometimes the grass is not always greener on the other side.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-glitches.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...els-cheap.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...own-shift.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...t-working.html
Appreciate 3
1230vani652.50
kleo12.00
      02-26-2019, 04:47 AM   #2
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Very true. No car is 100% perfect; just need to keep expectations in perspective.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 07:24 AM   #3
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

What’s funny is the novice view point that if you pay ”X” amount of money, you shouldn’t be having these problems. This is a dead giveaway this person has not owned many high end automobiles.
Reality is if you bought a Bentayga you would be having similar issues. It’s all about how experienced the owners is in how they deal with it. Owning a Ferrari would set a new standard of frustration compared to what a BMW owner somtimes experience. Even with spotty reliability, nobody is trading in their Ferrari 458 for a Toyota. Shocking.
Appreciate 2
X51990.00
jra0113427.00
      02-26-2019, 08:11 AM   #4
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
What’s funny is the novice view point that if you pay ”X” amount of money, you shouldn’t be having these problems.
Sigh.....if only life could be that simple!
Appreciate 1
MystroX56289.50
      02-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #5
GTFM3
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
My shortlist is Cayenne S, X7 or X5.

Have really spent a lot of time on the forums so that I don’t get buyers remorse. For all the complaints here are also on Cayenne(except wrinkled seats) and I am pretty sure Merc will have issues. The computerization of cars will only lead to more software problems, 1st year quirks getting worse.

Sometimes the grass is not always greener on the other side.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-glitches.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...els-cheap.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...own-shift.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...t-working.html
I think the X5 and Cayenne S are the best alternatives for the Medium-size luxury segment. Many would include the Q7-8 also. I have a Macan S, and love it. I would choose the Cayenne S in a heartbeat, except that it's a significant price premium over the X5 (when properly optioned) both in price and maintenance. Like the X5, the '19 Cayenne has had major upgrade from LY. Drive the base 335 hp Cayenne & see if power is acceptable. It's closer in price to the X5.
If interior space is not a priority, I would recommend the 2019 (refreshed) Macan S or Macan Turbo, except that the availability is delayed until late Fall '19 on all but the 4 cylinder Base. That's why I'm hovering on this G05 forum. Thinking of an X5 as bridge until totally new Macan in 2022 or 2023. We're empty nesters, and don't require the space.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #6
X519
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
What’s funny is the novice view point that if you pay ”X” amount of money, you shouldn’t be having these problems. This is a dead giveaway this person has not owned many high end automobiles.
Reality is if you bought a Bentayga you would be having similar issues. It’s all about how experienced the owners is in how they deal with it. Owning a Ferrari would set a new standard of frustration compared to what a BMW owner somtimes experience. Even with spotty reliability, nobody is trading in their Ferrari 458 for a Toyota. Shocking.
Spot on.

Separate from this, I still feel it is productive for owners to register their protest and dis-satisfaction if something has shoddy execution - to hold the manufacturers accountable to high standards long-term.

Really like how Lambo improved in build quality and reliability over time after VW adopted them - without losing their core DNA.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #7
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFM3 View Post
I think the X5 and Cayenne S are the best alternatives for the Medium-size luxury segment. Many would include the Q7-8 also. I have a Macan S, and love it. I would choose the Cayenne S in a heartbeat, except that it's a significant price premium over the X5 (when properly optioned) both in price and maintenance. Like the X5, the '19 Cayenne has had major upgrade from LY. Drive the base 335 hp Cayenne & see if power is acceptable. It's closer in price to the X5.
If interior space is not a priority, I would recommend the 2019 (refreshed) Macan S or Macan Turbo, except that the availability is delayed until late Fall '19 on all but the 4 cylinder Base. That's why I'm hovering on this G05 forum. Thinking of an X5 as bridge until totally new Macan in 2022 or 2023. We're empty nesters, and don't require the space.
Macan was on the list, cannot wait till November for the S, Porsche have really screwed this up.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #8
GTFM3
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Macan was on the list, cannot wait till November for the S, Porsche have really screwed this up.
New info this morning....next generation Macan will be all electric, apparently driven by EU. RATS! Now I have to decide if I want to wait until Fall for the refresh S. I would expect the last petrol Macan to maintain outstanding resale. Or get the new X5. Or the Cayenne. Being retired, I have too much time on my hands to think about this *hit. I should be a golfer instead of a car nut.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 11:34 AM   #9
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFM3 View Post
New info this morning....next generation Macan will be all electric, apparently driven by EU. RATS! Now I have to decide if I want to wait until Fall for the refresh S. I would expect the last petrol Macan to maintain outstanding resale. Or get the new X5. Or the Cayenne. Being retired, I have too much time on my hands to think about this *hit. I should be a golfer instead of a car nut.
Heard the news, I guess the Macan will be I-Pace for the Porsche brand.

Last edited by Bimar; 02-26-2019 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #10
Bills Oil Company
Private
Rep
Drives: Newb

Quote:

I think its funny that you expect so little.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #11
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills Oil Company View Post
I think its funny that you expect so little.
Not expect so little but a realistic ownership experience of 35 years with high end autos.

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-26-2019 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5894.50