BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Which car would you buy?
1M Coupe 94 43.12%
E90/92 M3 73 33.49%
E86 Z4 M Coupe 36 16.51%
E46 M3 15 6.88%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

09-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #67
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
Owning a CaymanS (slightly modded about 325-330HP) and a 135i with just an exhaust upgrade, it's really fun to compare. Both cars are fun yet underpowered, the caymanS handling is second to no other car at that price range, performance wise (stock) they are pretty equal, Brakes go to the Porsche, ride comfort the 135i. The Porsche has a load of storage space but with the rear seats folded of course the 135i wins. I get better MPG with the CaymanS. All in all If I had only one car that I used all year long as my DD the 135i or the new M varient would still be my choice.
Man I am so tempted to go out and buy a cayman right now. The cayman's brake paddle has more travel, right? When I test drove one (S version) I had to press harder to get some amount stopping power on the 135i. The only thing I need to adjust to is the seating position. 135i has more conventional position, more upright, cayman felt more like a sports car.
      09-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #68
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

If I didn't need the back seats, Cayman S would be sitting on the drive next June.

As it is, 1M is odds on favourite. There's nothing else like it with four usable seats!

Last edited by as7920; 09-24-2010 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #69
Sexual Philanthropist
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

The Cayman is a great car, am going to miss it. Then again I end up missing all of them.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 01:03 AM   #70
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Owning a CaymanS (slightly modded about 325-330HP) and a 135i with just an exhaust upgrade, it's really fun to compare. Both cars are fun yet underpowered
Seriously? You just need to borrow my Civic (<100 whp) for a month, then see if they still feel underpowered.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #71
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Owning a CaymanS (slightly modded about 325-330HP) and a 135i with just an exhaust upgrade, it's really fun to compare. Both cars are fun yet underpowered, the caymanS handling is second to no other car at that price range, performance wise (stock) they are pretty equal, Brakes go to the Porsche, ride comfort the 135i. The Porsche has a load of storage space but with the rear seats folded of course the 135i wins. I get better MPG with the CaymanS. All in all If I had only one car that I used all year long as my DD the 135i or the new M varient would still be my choice.
I'm kind of confused on why you guys compare the CaymanS with a 135i. (Not Picking you out ESC OFF, as many people on here have!)

Firstly at new pricing the CaymanS is hugely more expensive (even than the 1 SMC should be). So why compare? Am I missing porsche giving great deals on the Caymans?
Secondly they are very different cars. Id be comparing a CaymanS with an AudiTT or Lotus ExigeS (Which is awesome), before the 135i.

If you are comparing a used car with a new car, then that seems silly as well because of the difference in what you get.
Someone else's seconds w/o warranty - all problems yours vs. New OOTB for you, with the dealer picking up all the headaches if there are.
If we are talking used I'd be finding a used NSX ;-)

Having driven the M3 and older Z4M and owning my 135i I think the 135i is the best of the bunch for me.
M3 - Too big and kind of tame at low speeds, but other wise very nice. (And Tempting)
Z4M - Didnt like the car balance at all, felt vaguely like a vette which I have a love/hate relationship with.
135i - Spunkier feeling at normal road speeds fun to drive all the time.

CaymanS - Not as spunky as the 135i, but better balanced. Again kind of tame feeling at normal speeds.

Lotus Exige S - If you want a drivers car this is it. At even at low speeds you are thinking - Thank god Im alive. (To feel the car and be awed by how much you feel!) This car has the best driving experience I have ever felt. Not as plush as the other cars, but what you give away in plush give back in spades as far as driving experience.

Im still trying to figure out how I can justify an ExigeS, but will likely end up with a 1SMC because it can be my DD as well and it would save me alot of expense. (I live with midwest winters, so a Caymen S or Exige S would need to be a 3rd car.) If I do end up with a 1 SMC I know I wont be disappointed. (Other than with the HPFP? =)

Last edited by theblackangus; 09-25-2010 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #72
I Love BMW's
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M BSM

I have a Z4 M Coupe and an E93 M3 so I wanted to vote for both. I also have a deposit in for the 1 Series M - so hopefully I will be able to compare all three of them sometime next year
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #73
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love BMW's View Post
I have a Z4 M Coupe and an E93 M3 so I wanted to vote for both. I also have a deposit in for the 1 Series M - so hopefully I will be able to compare all three of them sometime next year
Nice! How do you like the e93 M3? Have you driven the coupe for comparison?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #74
I Love BMW's
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
Nice! How do you like the e93 M3? Have you driven the coupe for comparison?
The e93 M3 is a great all around car. I love the sound of the V8 - especially when the top and throttle are down On the downside - the vert is quite a bit heavier than the coupe & sedan. You don't notice it much in day to day driving, but when you start to push the car - you can feel the weight.

I have driven the M3 coupe on the track, but have not driven the vert on the track for comparison. The M3 Coupe's horsepower is nice, but I will take the Z4 M Coupe any day over the M3 on the track.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #75
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love BMW's View Post
The e93 M3 is a great all around car. I love the sound of the V8 - especially when the top and throttle are down On the downside - the vert is quite a bit heavier than the coupe & sedan. You don't notice it much in day to day driving, but when you start to push the car - you can feel the weight.

I have driven the M3 coupe on the track, but have not driven the vert on the track for comparison. The M3 Coupe's horsepower is nice, but I will take the Z4 M Coupe any day over the M3 on the track.
If I had the money, I think I'd probably follow in your footsteps

Though I'm generally not a big fan of verts, I'd probably get the E92, but that's a good fun car/DD set up.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #76
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
I don't agree that people don't want a raw BMW. (...) What people want is a raw BMW that has a backseat.
+1 - Bingo.

I had the opportunity to test drive recently the 997.1 C2S and 997.2 C2S and absolutely loved the level of feedback, the granularity and sense of purpose of the 997.2 C2S. (I almost got killed by the 997.1 so no, I didn't like that one so much).

My current M3 is hugely fast, especially so on a racetrack - but it's not the greatest thing in feedback (especially the steering). Yes, it wins all the comparisons because it is so much better than all the other sport sedans, and yes I can see it post lap times similar to the Cayman S or 911 C2, but it's not as involving a drive as either of those. Don't get me wrong, it has sublime balance, an astonishing engine and will work with you well beyond the limit - I love it. But...

... I would definitely buy a rawer BMW product with 4 seats, 6sp manual, cloth seats, delivered in Munich.

If the 1M fails to deliver in this key area, I'll stay with the M3 and throw a badass exhaust on it.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #77
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
... I would definitely buy a rawer BMW product with 4 seats, 6sp manual, cloth seats, delivered in Munich.

If the 1M fails to deliver in this key area, I'll stay with the M3 and throw a badass exhaust on it.
^This is exactly how I feel too

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #78
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Scott has indicated in this thread that a Z4M is planned for the future.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=13

Quote:
A Z4M is inevitable - The 1M dies by 2012 as does the M3 by mid 2012.
The M5 will be available as it joins the X5M and X6M with the M6 Coupe coming later in 2012. This leaves nothing for the compact-medium segment for M Division. The same problem when the previous car was introduced , the M3 was just about dead and nothing to support the larger M5 and M6 models.

That is why the talking about a Z4M is getting louder again.
It wont be a V8 though - That engine dies with the M3.
Discussion lies with the idea of recooperating short-term development investment with the powerplant devised for the 1M Coupe.
This will help BMW recover development costs of the short-term units of the 1M Coupe.
Appreciate 0