F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech Audio Upgrade vs Audiotech Fischer PP52DSP
GetBMWParts

07-11-2015, 05:17 AM   #1
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

BimmerTech Audio Upgrade vs Audiotech Fischer PP52DSP

So a little research into Audiotech Fischer's OEM amps, reveals very few differences other than the higher power output on the PP82DSP. (However both specs are identical).

I'm not trying to dismiss the BimmerTech product at all but I only need a 5 channel amp as I have the base stereo set-up with a BSW S1, and seeing as I can purchase the PP52DSP for €250 less (280USD), it feels like a good option.

What are the exact differences and has anyone tried this?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 08:01 AM   #2
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbaguk View Post
So a little research into Audiotech Fischer's OEM amps, reveals very few differences other than the higher power output on the PP82DSP. (However both specs are identical).

I'm not trying to dismiss the BimmerTech product at all but I only need a 5 channel amp as I have the base stereo set-up with a BSW S1, and seeing as I can purchase the PP52DSP for €250 less (280USD), it feels like a good option.

What are the exact differences and has anyone tried this?
It's like comparing apples to oranges IMO.

PP52DSP has fewer channels, less power, no PnP harness, no bracket, it's not designed for the BMW HiFi system, so in fact you will have even less power to use in your BMW (with HiFi system) than the spec shows!

These are two different products.

I am sure others will chime in with their own recommendations if you want a cheaper option. Unfortunately we only have one version of our Premium Audio System.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #3
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
It's like comparing apples to oranges IMO.

PP52DSP has fewer channels, less power, no PnP harness, no bracket, it's not designed for the BMW HiFi system, so in fact you will have even less power to use in your BMW (with HiFi system) than the spec shows!

These are two different products.

I am sure others will chime in with their own recommendations if you want a cheaper option. Unfortunately we only have one version of our Premium Audio System.
I agree the 52DSP has less channels and lower power, but both products are technically very similar - especially from the DSP point of view, but isn't the 82DSP identical?

Additionally Audiotec Fischer offer a PnP harness for both the 82DSP and 52DSP, but for people like me who have a base stereo system, won't the 52DSP suffice?

I'm just trying to work out the differences as prices vary wildly and it's just in my interest to get the best deal

I messaged you weeks ago for a quote for your version of the amp with a base stereo harness which you said you could provide but never got a reply so I presumed it wasn't possible. Perhaps you could drop me a PM with details of your product for a base stereo system?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #4
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Just to add, I am *really* not trying to slate your product. What you have is awesome, but many of us have base stereo systems and you appear to cater for the HiFi market only so it leaves a lot of us in the dark.

I need a solution that will work with my partially upgraded base stereo system, and if I can get a product of equal quality to work, then surely that's no bad thing.

Perhaps you could cater for users with a base system or in fact users with a BSW S1 upgrade from the base stereo system? Just an idea....I'd certainly be interested and not only that, I'd mostly likely purchase it!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #5
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Thanks for the call earlier Patryk. Can you confirm this cable would work in the 5m length?

http://www.audiotec-fischer.de/lng/e...so.html?type=N

If not, I'll call them direct to see if this works. You mentioned it had to double loop so hopefully this is built into the harness.

On another note, you also mentioned retrofitting a centre speaker to my car. That would involve cutting the dash to get it fitted but I'm very concerned about screwing that up! Has anyone tried this on a base stereo car?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Just to add, I am *really* not trying to slate your product. What you have is awesome, but many of us have base stereo systems and you appear to cater for the HiFi market only so it leaves a lot of us in the dark.

I need a solution that will work with my partially upgraded base stereo system, and if I can get a product of equal quality to work, then surely that's no bad thing.

Perhaps you could cater for users with a base system or in fact users with a BSW S1 upgrade from the base stereo system? Just an idea....I'd certainly be interested and not only that, I'd mostly likely purchase it!
We have a solution for base stereo systems, it requires an special harness and the car to be coded to Hifi.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 03:20 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Hopefully this will explain some facts about the Stereo system.

- OEM HU/iDrive powering front, rear and underseat woofers
- 4 channel output split into 6 speakers: front speakers connected in parallel with underseat woofers
- front outputs are full range, rear outputs are high passed
- (4) 4" mids and (2) 6.5" woofers. No tweeters
- 15W x 4 (Professional Radio)/25W x 4 (iDrive) max power high level outputs

The PP52DSP is a good DSP/amp by itself however it is not a good add-on to the Stereo system due to its particular configuration, IMO.

The Stereo system is a forced 4ch system with a 6ch configuration. Meaning, it takes the front and rear high level outputs of the OEM HU/iDrive and power 6 speakers. It counts on the natural frequency response of the woofers as the crossover -in other words, there is no proper crossover.

So adding a 5ch amp with built-in DSP does not solve the problem of no proper crossovers as the woofers will still be connected in parallel to the front mids. The 5th channel on the PP52DSP is for a subwoofer, not for woofers. And that output is mono, not stereo. Woofers should be in stereo as midbass is in stereo.

Which also means that keeping the front connected in parallel with the woofers does nothing to the DSP section of the PP52DSP as there is nothing to separate the woofers from the mids. Voices will be heard thru your butt like a bad Jim Carrey movie.

That is the reason that a PP82DSP is the better audio proposition because 6ch out of its 8ch outputs can be individually dedicated to the 6 OEM /aftermarket speakers. More power output helps a bit as well. A subwoofer can also be installed easily with the other 2ch channels left via the RCA outputs.

The F30 Stereo system does not have a center speaker OEM mount (as in the E90) so it is not practical to cut the dash to then find out that there is nothing in there to mount the speaker and the grill. And great sound can be achieved without a center speaker, so this is not a fundamental problem at all.

Quote:
Thanks for the call earlier Patryk. Can you confirm this cable would work in the 5m length?

http://www.audiotec-fischer.de/lng/e...so.html?type=N

If not, I'll call them direct to see if this works. You mentioned it had to double loop so hopefully this is built into the harness.

On another note, you also mentioned retrofitting a centre speaker to my car. That would involve cutting the dash to get it fitted but I'm very concerned about screwing that up! Has anyone tried this on a base stereo car?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #8
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Cheers Technic. Thanks for the explanation. I had a long chat with Patryk and while the BimmerTech option is more than I budgeted, I'll most likely go for this but I'll have to wait a little longer as there are some heavy bills coming my way in the next few weeks....a wedding and all that jazz

I don't think the other half will appreciate me splashing out on this when other things have to be paid.

Nevertheless, I'll keep an eye out for any deals and hopefully pick up an amp by September.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 07:52 AM   #9
MickySah
Rep
Drives: 420i Gran Coupe X-Drive

Quote:
Cheers Technic. Thanks for the explanation. I had a long chat with Patryk and while the BimmerTech option is more than I budgeted, I'll most likely go for this but I'll have to wait a little longer as there are some heavy bills coming my way in the next few weeks....a wedding and all that jazz

I don't think the other half will appreciate me splashing out on this when other things have to be paid.

Nevertheless, I'll keep an eye out for any deals and hopefully pick up an amp by September.
So what did you end up buying beanbag? I've just bought a 10month old 4 series gran coupe with the base audio, and would like to do something similar.

Does anyone know the best way to get power, line out and remote out to the boot if I just wanted to add my own amp and sub?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 09:32 AM   #10
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickySah View Post
So what did you end up buying beanbag? I've just bought a 10month old 4 series gran coupe with the base audio, and would like to do something similar.

Does anyone know the best way to get power, line out and remote out to the boot if I just wanted to add my own amp and sub?
I've only gone as far as installing a BSW S1 which is worth every penny and great start but haven't gone down the amp route yet.

For now it sounds good enough however it definitely wants an amp at some point.

For now my budget is going towards a M Performance Power Kit so I'm currently negotiating with dealers. I've had a couple of prices and they vary wildly so I'm hoping to get something decent soon.

Just to add....from what I gather, the BSW is worth every penny but their underseat subs need a good amp to get anything decent from them so avoid this if you plan to do any upgrades without an amp.

Let us know what you plan to do!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #11
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 530 D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech View Post
We have a solution for base stereo systems, it requires an special harness and the car to be coded to Hifi.
I am in the same position as beanbaguk, can you confirm if the Bmmertech solution for the F30 base stereo:
1) Requires the "hi-fi" coding by a BMW dealer (hence additional cost) or is it done as part of the so!ution offered by bimmertech, in the provided Software?
2) Does the harness provided in the base stereo solution "split" the front subs from the speakers in the front doors, essentially driving them from a different channel of the Bimmertech amp (I think the term is active) rather than in parrellel with the front door speakers.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #12
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern321 View Post
I am in the same position as beanbaguk, can you confirm if the Bmmertech solution for the F30 base stereo:
1) Requires the "hi-fi" coding by a BMW dealer (hence additional cost) or is it done as part of the so!ution offered by bimmertech, in the provided Software?
2) Does the harness provided in the base stereo solution "split" the front subs from the speakers in the front doors, essentially driving them from a different channel of the Bimmertech amp (I think the term is active) rather than in parrellel with the front door speakers.

Thanks
1. We provide the coding
2. Yes
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 03:27 AM   #13
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

From all accounts and a pricing point of view, the Bimmertech amp offers the best value, especially since it now includes the brackets and cables for the base stereo system.

I've also been in touch with the very nice people at Audiotec Fischer and while they were very helpful, there was no clear way of installing the amp without creating a custom bracket which is time consuming and messy.

It would however be nice to have a *wee* discount who know how to code their cars for HiFi thus avoiding the cable and coding costs.

I will eventually take this route but my new home has taken up all spare cash so I'm just saving month by month until I have enough.

Out of curiosity. The amp isn't much bigger if at all than the Alpine amp which is mounted behind the glove box of the F3x series. Is there any way to mount the Bimmertech amp in the same place saving on the cable length and routing it through the entire car?
      04-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #14
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 530 D M-Sport

Quote:
From all accounts and a pricing point of view, the Bimmertech amp offers the best value, especially since it now includes the brackets and cables for the base stereo system.

I've also been in touch with the very nice people at Audiotec Fischer and while they were very helpful, there was no clear way of installing the amp without creating a custom bracket which is time consuming and messy.

It would however be nice to have a *wee* discount who know how to code their cars for HiFi thus avoiding the cable and coding costs.

I will eventually take this route but my new home has taken up all spare cash so I'm just saving month by month until I have enough.

Out of curiosity. The amp isn't much bigger if at all than the Alpine amp which is mounted behind the glove box of the F3x series. Is there any way to mount the Bimmertech amp in the same place saving on the cable length and routing it through the entire car?
I had the same thought around the amp location it would be good if it could go behind the glovebox as the Alpine upgrade in the F30 also would need a shorter USB cable.

Perhaps the reason is heat from the Bimmertech amp, so it's not practical to mount behind the glovebox in the F3x cars?

Last edited by vern321; 04-14-2016 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: minor update
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 07:05 PM   #15
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:

We added the coding cable and base to hifi coding to the kit for those that don't know how to code. It's a free service that don't cost us much...everything else does.
Appreciate 0