European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
Mickey D
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M4 6sp

AY vs SO vs YMB vs AW

AY vs. SO vs. AW vs. YMB

I need some help as I have been driving both my wife and myself crazy for the past few weeks over color choices.
A little bit of history – I have always loved the AW and owned 5 AW over the past 7 years for the following reasons
- Very Safe color choice
- Easy to maintain compare to my pervious black cars
- Looks very nice and sporty
- Being a popular color, I never had a hard time finding a buyer when it came time to sell

Now my dilemma starts, I’m in the process of ordering my M4 and wanted to try something different. I started looking at SO and found one at a local dealer and went to look at it. Luckily it was parked right next to AW M4 so I was able to compare both side by side. Both cars were parked outside the showroom on the lot and it was around 6:30 Pm so there was still some sun light. I Liked the SO color a lot more in person than in pictures and I really enjoyed how it highlighted some of the lines and curves of the Car the AW was hiding. However I didn’t LOVE the SO and still thought the AW looked better.

Then I found another local dealer who had AY I thought I should go take a look at it even though I hated it in pictures. I went to the Dealer only to find that the car was parked in the Showroom and it was night time but right next to it there was another AW M4 so again I got to look at both side by side. However this time as soon as I saw AY I loved it and had the biggest smile on my face. The car and the color truly looked special and all the sudden the AW looked very plain in comparison and just like every other BMW u see on the road. However I didn’t know if my impression will still be the same if both cars were parked outside side by side under sunlight??!?!?!

I have also wanted to look at the YMB but can’t find any dealer that has it to compare.
So for the people who saw these different colors in person what are your thoughts. And for the people who bought the AY how are you liking it and what type of feedback are getting.

All your thoughts are highly appreciated.
      08-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

There are literally one million threads on this (I counted them). I can tell you exactly how this is going to go: you'll swing back and forth between the colors until it's time to put your money where your mouth is. Then you will order AW and live happily ever after.

I just saved you weeks of headaches.

You're welcome.
      08-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

5 AW cars in 7 years??? Get AY.
I have AW and love it but it's my first white car in 30 years...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
rz3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SO/SOe F80 M3

It's such a personal thing I don't think anyone will give you the answer you need. If you think AY does it for you, go for it. If you want to play it safe and buy it for resale, go with AW.

For me, I ordered the car for me, not the next buyer.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
Mickey D
First Lieutenant
Rep

Based on what i saw in the showroom i loved AY over the AW. But i dont knw if this would the case if both cars were parked outside under sunlight. So im hoping that the people who bought or at least saw the car in person can put my at ease with my decision
      08-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

5 AWs, I think your fate is sealed. I had blk for 15yrs till my head exploded and I saw red, well SO actually. But seriously, just get whatever makes you feel good, it's your car, your money and your personality.
      08-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
sunnyboy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 - SO/SS, 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike335is View Post
Based on what i saw in the showroom i loved AY over the AW. But i dont knw if this would the case if both cars were parked outside under sunlight. So im hoping that the people who bought or at least saw the car in person can put my at ease with my decision
Hey Mike,

For AY, in direct sunlight, I can tell you that the green tint in the paint really shines through and gives the car a total different and more dynamic feel. The yellow is still there, just a strong tint of green. It was a very beautiful color as the M4 flashed by me... very dreamy...

I agree with everyone else that the color you pick is really for YOU. I would not worry about resell, etc. Worry about what YOU want.

Personally, I think the AW is not versatile and in sunlight, normal light (showroom), no light (night time), its still ... white. But the AY and SO they are dynamic and has a total different feel in sunlight, normal light, and no light. Thus, I ordered SO ...

Best of luck in your search...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
Mickey D
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyboy
Quote:
Hey Mike,

For AY, in direct sunlight, I can tell you that the green tint in the paint really shines through and gives the car a total different and more dynamic feel. The yellow is still there, just a strong tint of green. It was a very beautiful color as the M4 flashed by me... very dreamy...

I agree with everyone else that the color you pick is really for YOU. I would not worry about resell, etc. Worry about what YOU want.

Personally, I think the AW is not versatile and in sunlight, normal light (showroom), no light (night time), its still ... white. But the AY and SO they are dynamic and has a total different feel in sunlight, normal light, and no light. Thus, I ordered SO ...

Best of luck in your search...
Thanks for the feedback its very helpful.
      08-29-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
F80JMcD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

AW or YMB
Mineral Grey F80 M3 /// Full Sakhir Leather Interior /// 19" Light Alloy Wheels /// M Adaptive Suspension /// DCT /// Carbon Fiber Trim /// Carbon Fiber Roof /// Executive Package /// HK /// LED Lighting /// MPE /// KW HAS /// ESS E-Tronic
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

I went to see the M4 debut at Detroit in Januarary and I have to say, I am not a yellow car type of person but when I seen AY... It literally took my breath away.. Its not for everybody. Some people say it looks like baby poop. But for me, I think it is gorgeous. Out of every car at the show, I think AY was by far my favorite! And that is not just because it was on the M4.

IMO, AY is not necessarily a "look at my bright car" color like you would find on a lambo. It is actually more of a "I think outside the box" color choice. Anyway, I love it.. Here are some pics of my car to help with your decision hopefully...
Attached Images

08-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #11
JacobF80
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80-SO/SS

I was just at a dealer who had an AY M4, the color is absolutely awesome! especially with the black wheels, unfortunately this DIDN'T have the CF roof which is a no brainer for this color.

EDIT: yeah, the pics right above, one of my favorite combos
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
Mickey D
First Lieutenant
Rep

My reaction exactly when i first saw the AY. Beautiful car man congrats and enjoy it in good health. What kind of feed back are u getting now that people saw the color in real life?
      08-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #13
BD SM3RF
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyJrze View Post
There are literally one million threads on this (I counted them). I can tell you exactly how this is going to go: you'll swing back and forth between the colors until it's time to put your money where your mouth is. Then you will order AW and live happily ever after.

I just saved you weeks of headaches.

You're welcome.
Get AY! I double dog dare you
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #14
haynstyleM2
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

There are so many cars out there that are white; it's an awesome color. If you want to be different; I'd go with AY or YMB or SO. Go for it!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #15
SocalBM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3

White is the single most common and boring color for cars - followed closely by gray. In California, 84% of ALL cars on the road are white or gray. It's so damn depressing to see no color.

Be kind to the world, get a nice color.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 02:50 PM   #16
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Quote:
My reaction exactly when i first saw the AY. Beautiful car man congrats and enjoy it in good health. What kind of feed back are u getting now that people saw the color in real life?
Everybody who sees it loves it and most people say "I wish I had the balls to get that color because it is amazing!".

I have not had a single bad comment about it. I love that the color makes it stand out from its competitors as well.. You wont see this color on a C63 or an RS5. Hell, you wont even see a color like this on a GTR.

I really like how clean and classy colors like AW or MG look however, you probably wont get many people coming up to you and saying "WOW! Look at that color! What kind of car is that?!". They will probably say something closer to "nice car man"

You wouldnt regret AY judging by your initial reaction to it. Be bold and say "F THE SAFE BET FOR ONCE!".
      08-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #17
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Poll would have been better for this question. VS means its a competition. There is no winner only personal prefrence.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #18
Mickey D
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82_SID
Quote:
Everybody who sees it loves it and most people say "I wish I had the balls to get that color because it is amazing!".

I have not had a single bad comment about it. I love that the color makes it stand out from its competitors as well.. You wont see this color on a C63 or an RS5. Hell, you wont even see a color like this on a GTR.

I really like how clean and classy colors like AW or MG look however, you probably wont get many people coming up to you and saying "WOW! Look at that color! What kind of car is that?!". They will probably say something closer to "nice car man"

You wouldnt regret AY judging by your initial reaction to it. Be bold and say "F THE SAFE BET FOR ONCE!".
R u sure ur nt a salesman? Lol Jk.
Thanks for helping, AY it is. 😃
      08-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #19
jsplayin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I have seen AY in showroom and outside and I really liked it in both conditions, possibly loved it. Great color and very bold. Was going to order YMB until I saw it and didn't love it, see my other post where I posted some pics of that car if you like. Saw SO on a couple occasions in shade and did not love it, it was flat and definitely orange, never saw it in sun so can't comment on that. Didn't really consider AW until I ran out of real color options, went to see one and it looked a thousand times better than I expected, so that's what I ordered. Compared it to MW and liked AW much more. So I wanted a nice bold real color and ended up with the plainest color BMW offers and couldn't be happier. Good luck with your choice.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #20
svc0x80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

I'm just going to leave this here.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #21
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
AY vs. SO vs. AW vs. YMB

I need some help as I have been driving both my wife and myself crazy for the past few weeks over color choices.
A little bit of history – I have always loved the AW and owned 5 AW over the past 7 years for the following reasons
- Very Safe color choice
- Easy to maintain compare to my pervious black cars
- Looks very nice and sporty
- Being a popular color, I never had a hard time finding a buyer when it came time to sell

Now my dilemma starts, I’m in the process of ordering my M4 and wanted to try something different. I started looking at SO and found one at a local dealer and went to look at it. Luckily it was parked right next to AW M4 so I was able to compare both side by side. Both cars were parked outside the showroom on the lot and it was around 6:30 Pm so there was still some sun light. I Liked the SO color a lot more in person than in pictures and I really enjoyed how it highlighted some of the lines and curves of the Car the AW was hiding. However I didn’t LOVE the SO and still thought the AW looked better.

Then I found another local dealer who had AY I thought I should go take a look at it even though I hated it in pictures. I went to the Dealer only to find that the car was parked in the Showroom and it was night time but right next to it there was another AW M4 so again I got to look at both side by side. However this time as soon as I saw AY I loved it and had the biggest smile on my face. The car and the color truly looked special and all the sudden the AW looked very plain in comparison and just like every other BMW u see on the road. However I didn’t know if my impression will still be the same if both cars were parked outside side by side under sunlight??!?!?!

I have also wanted to look at the YMB but can’t find any dealer that has it to compare.
So for the people who saw these different colors in person what are your thoughts. And for the people who bought the AY how are you liking it and what type of feedback are getting.

All your thoughts are highly appreciated.
I have had AY for one month. I ordered it without seeing one in person and love it. It gets lots of compliments. If you loved it, you should get. It looks awesome outside in sunlight and with shade. Since you like AY, my guess is that you will feel the same way about YMB as you do about SO. Great color, but not enough to make you love it. That was my feeling. However, YMB is very nice in person and is my second favorite color, SO being third. You need the CF roof and black wheels, if you go with any of these colors IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #22
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82_SID View Post

My experience exactly.
Appreciate 0