THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum So cold window frozen shut and couldn't get in the car

01-21-2019, 06:50 PM   #1
vinnypuchik
Rep
Drives: m240i xDrive

So cold window frozen shut and couldn't get in the car

Super cold morning in NJ today. Wind chill well below 0. As you guys know the window dips down a bit so you can open the door. The cold was so bad my window was frozen shut and i couldnt open the door. After a really hard yank the door finally opened. Only problem was the window never dipped down so i couldnt close the door after smh. Long story short, after letting the car run for a bit and spraying De-Icer at the base on the window (hoping in would seep into the crack and unfreeze whatever was frozen) the window was able to go up and down. Anyone else ever have run into this problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Sometimes happens here, where cold is below -30°C. Usually caused by water on the seal from being in a warm garage and snow melting on the car and then parking outside in the cold. Just use an old credit card or thin plastic scraper to ease behind the seal at the bottom of the glass and carefully run it along the seal to free it from the ice layer on the glass.

At least with frameless windows you know when you get in the car you have a problem, with conventional framed windows, you often don’t find our until you get to a parking barrier with a line of cars behind, then you can’t open the window to use an access or credit card to open the barrier, can’t open the door because you are too close and can’t reverse due to the vehicles behind.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 07:00 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnypuchik View Post
Anyone else ever have run into this problem?
Not with this car, but with others, sure, esp. after Nor'easters in Northern New England.

We had ~1/20" ice Saturday night, and the lady next door called me over because she broke her passenger door latch forcing the door open. I suggested using a hair dryer next time. The sun will work, too, if you have the time and your car is in a position to take advantage of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 07:04 PM   #4
cwilsong
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 230i

Ran into the same basic problem today, poured the rain Saturday then dropped to 8 degrees yesterday. I was able to get the door open fine but my issue was I could not get the door to latch at first. After the car warmed up some was able to get it to close.

Flash forward got to work but didn’t think about not being able to run down the window to swipe my id to get the gate to open. So, pulled up a little further threw it in park opened the door swooped badge, gate opened, pull the door closed but the car would not go into drive WTF?? Tried 3 times finally realized the door was not fully closing so car would not allow transmission to shift in to drive. Really gave the door a good pull and it latched. Stoped on the way home and purchased some lock de-Icer to keep on board.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 10:38 PM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Sometimes happens here, where cold is below -30°C. Usually caused by water on the seal from being in a warm garage and snow melting on the car and then parking outside in the cold. Just use an old credit card or thin plastic scraper to ease behind the seal at the bottom of the glass and carefully run it along the seal to free it from the ice layer on the glass.

At least with frameless windows you know when you get in the car you have a problem, with conventional framed windows, you often don't find our until you get to a parking barrier with a line of cars behind, then you can't open the window to use an access or credit card to open the barrier, can't open the door because you are too close and can't reverse due to the vehicles behind.
Use the moonroof

If it's not frozen
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:24 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Before the weather gets cold I like to use glycerin or talc to rub down the window/door seals - it seems to resist glass rubber sticking even if I wash the car on a near freezing day.

Porsche owners manuals used to recommend this.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 06:20 AM   #7
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Before the weather gets cold I like to use glycerin or talc to rub down the window/door seals - it seems to resist glass rubber sticking even if I wash the car on a near freezing day.

Porsche owners manuals used to recommend this.
Rubber conditioning liquid works well, this is the sort I use: https://www.amazon.ca/nextzett-91480...RSL&ref=plSrch, sometimes I just don’t do it enough. It doesn’t leave streaks on the side windows that other solutions can do. I would be wary of using talc as it is abrasive like fine dirt and could possibly lead to fine searches on the glass.

Conditioning and drying the seals around the door opening after washing the car in cold weather is important to avoid ripping the seals when opening the doors.
Appreciate 2
      01-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #8
Xi-Xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnypuchik View Post
Super cold morning in NJ today. Wind chill well below 0. As you guys know the window dips down a bit so you can open the door. The cold was so bad my window was frozen shut and i couldnt open the door. After a really hard yank the door finally opened. Only problem was the window never dipped down so i couldnt close the door after smh. Long story short, after letting the car run for a bit and spraying De-Icer at the base on the window (hoping in would seep into the crack and unfreeze whatever was frozen) the window was able to go up and down. Anyone else ever have run into this problem?
Happened to me this morning. 4 degrees and the car was pretty well iced over. Like you, it took a good hard to tug to get the door open, but then it wouldn't latch once I was inside. I just started the car, turned on the defrosters and after about 4 or 5 minutes I was able to get the window down. Not a big deal. Happened several times last winter, too.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #9
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Had similar w/ an 87 Corvette. Ice storm and headlights froze in the down position during the day. Got back on base (after dark) and spent better part of a hour chipping the ice away so I could drive home. At least I was able to open the car door to get the ice scrapper.

Mother Nature and technology sometimes butt heads.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:58 AM   #10
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xdrive convertible

Garage List
2018 230i xdrive co ...  [0.00]
2019 x3  [0.00]
You should get this special edition FROZEN BMW
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #11
Lynx_Rufus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

3M Silicone Paste would probably work well. Works well to lube window tracks when power windows get slow. Lasts a long time and should be hydrophobic.

I think I would have been reluctant to pull too hard on this kind of window setup when it's frozen...would be afraid of breaking the window.
Appreciate 0