BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

05-23-2021, 05:26 PM   #1
Jaxwired
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i

New owner. My thoughts on the reviewer bashing...

Hello all. New owner of an M235i GC here. Mine is white with Shadow line and Magma interior. I wanted to give me thoughts on the car since I have watched multiple YouTube reviews and read multiple print reviews that are less than favorable. This post is about why I like the car and I think much of the reviewer population is way off. First, I heard one reviewer say that they don't even understand why BMW would build such a car as there is no market for it. This is ridiculous. Obviously based on the success of the Audi S3 and the Merc CLA AMG there is a definite segment of the market that wants a small fast sedan from premium auto brands. In fact, that's exactly what I wanted. I was driving a VW GTI Mk 7 and it was totaled in a freak hail storm. I loved the GTI. I considered a new GTI to replace the totaled one and the next gen was about to be released but not soon enough to make sense for me. So I looked elsewhere. I considered a VW Golf R but again, the new one is not available for several more months and I needed a car. So I looked to see what other sporty small cars were available. I prefer small cars. Bigger cars simply do not handle the same and are less fun to drive for my driving style. My GTI was a 4 door and I needed to stick with 4 doors because I have 3 kids. So why not buy the Audi S3? Well, IMO, the S3 interior is way too Spartan. It's minimalist to the extreme. It does not feel opulent the way the price suggests it should. And that is an area where the M235i GC crushes the Audi. The M235i IMO looks just as high end and luxuries as the BMW 330i. The dash, controls, layout, and interior finishes are basically the same as the big brother 330i, just scaled down to fit the smaller frame of the M235i. Whereas comparing the Audi S3 to the Audi S4 or A4, the bigger Audi has a WAY more luxurious and beautiful interior. So Audi stepped down the interior quality when going from the S4/A4 to the S3/A3 and BMW did NOT do this going from the 330i to the 238i. Next you have the Merc CLA AMG competition. The Merc does have a nicely appointed interior but personally I do not like it as much as the BMW and here's why. The Merc is trying too hard. The BMW's interior is understated elegance. It's posh, rich, and sumptuous without being ostentatious. The Merc interior borders on ostentatious. Driving the Merc I found the ride and handling less sophisticated. Maybe it handles better on the track but I don't care about track handling. I use my BMW as a daily driver. So that's why I liked the BMW over the Merc and the Audi. Next you have all the people that hate on the exterior looks of the 2 series GC. So what if the backend has similarities to a Toyota or even a Kia why exactly is that so egregious? Unless you are saying those are all ugly cars and millions of KIA and Toyota owners would disagree. But I also think people tend to hate anything that's a departure from what they are used to and yes, this body style of the M235i is a departure. But for me that's a huge PLUS, not a negative. Yes, I bought the M235i over the 330i because I wanted a smaller car but I also bought it for exactly the reason that so many people dislike it, BECAUSE it's different. The 330i is a beautiful car, no doubt, but it also looks very similar to literally a million other BMW's that are on the road. Nobody looks twice at a new 330i. Why would you, they're everywhere. Nothing special there. How many M235i's or 228i's have I passed since I bought mine 3 weeks ago? ZERO. And I've been looking. Sorry, but no, if I spend $50k+ on a new car I'd like to think it's a bit special. Hard to do that with a 330i when every parking lot already has 5 others just like yours. Now, let me address the whole, "this car sux because it's not RWD and it's sitting on a Mini platform". Umm.. this car is a rocket. Any car that can do 0 to 60 sub 5 seconds is special. Yes, a true M2 is half a second faster but how noticeable is that? I also suspect that the two cars are closer than BMW is willing to admit. For the vast majority of people a 4.6 sec 0 to 60 is blazing fast. Also, the M2 only has 2 doors, it has a less current interior, AND IMO the exterior is much more ordinary than the Gran Coupe. Do I still like the full blown M2, yes, it's nice. I just think these reviewers have their priorities aligned to a very small segment of the buying population. The number of BMW M enthusiasts is small compared to the overall number of BMW owners. In fact, based on who I see driving the most expensive performance BMW's and Mercs I'd say most of the owners are simply wealthy and are not BMW M enthusiasts at all. BMW is appealing to the common buyer with the 2 series GC and not the diehard M fan. That's smart given the size of the two populations. And while RWD cars have always been prized for superior performance, front wheel biased all-wheel drive cars like the VW Golf R have huge fan bases and are loved by millions of drivers. With the tech packed into these vehicles, the compromises at this point are far less than the RWD bigots would have you believe. I bet 99% of buyers couldn't even tell you after a test drive whether the M235i was front biased or RWD. Way too much emphasis is put on this by reviewers. Does it make a difference to a certain buyer interested in extreme performance? Yes, but that's hardly reason to call the M235i mediocre. Rant over.
      05-23-2021, 06:22 PM   #2
jackknewman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i xDrive Gran Coupe

I agree with you on this, when I started looking into getting an M235i GC I watched a lot of reviews. The amount of times I heard "its not a proper M car" "why have BMW made it FWD biased" or "it isn't as good as the old M140i"

By definition it isn't going to be as quick etc as a 140i, we all know that and we don't expect it to be. This car should be compared more to the current direct competitors etc the golf GTI, A35, S3 and alike...rather being compared to an M2 or other BMW'S in the range.

I also agree any sub 5 second car is quick. I can't see many owners taking it on a track, but it's fast enough to get you off the line at a set of lights or to overtake something on various roads. This will be my first time owning a BMW, I'm not a racing driver, I won't know where the power is going to what wheel at what stage during a corner...I'll simply be enjoying myself letting the car do the work keeping me on the road.

I test drove one of these and spent the entire hour with a smile on my face, I've never owned a car with this much power or torque before.

If people don't like it..don't buy it. Its quite a simple concept.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 09:52 PM   #3
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

I smile every time I hit the accelerator. I think I like more that my 2018 440i.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 06:54 AM   #4
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

As a current owner of an A4 B9 I agree with you about the interior and the reason why I've chosen the GC is that it is almost as good in term of quality, but the GC does beat it with the technology. I would have chosen the S3 however they ruined the front end and the dashboard is more akin to 90's Japanese cars than a premium vehicle. The CLA is plain ugly compared to the GC too.

I laugh at reviewers who state the GC is aimed at young drivers, I am 66 in November and it certainly appeals to me..
      05-24-2021, 09:56 AM   #5
Jaxwired
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukeuk View Post
As a current owner of an A4 B9 I agree with you about the interior and the reason why I've chosen the GC is that it is almost as good in term of quality, but the GC does beat it with the technology. I would have chosen the S3 however they ruined the front end and the dashboard is more akin to 90's Japanese cars than a premium vehicle. The CLA is plain ugly compared to the GC too.

I laugh at reviewers who state the GC is aimed at young drivers, I am 66 in November and it certainly appeals to me..
Agree about the age of owners. I'm 56.
Appreciate 1
cukeuk142.00
      05-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #6
Fix_The_Cigarette_Lighter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: A couple of Mazdas

I just registered real quick to mention that I appreciate your thoughts.

Many reviewers and influencers encourage monetization of their content by saying controversial things or by appealing to predictable audiences. Meanwhile, there's also a long tradition within the automotive "enthusiast" community of bashing cars built for different priorities and tastes rather than celebrating the diversity of design that moves us both physically and emotionally. Besides, it's a classic tactic to try to strengthen your own ego by dissing others (especially on the internet).

Most of my faster cars have been two-seater format, either FE/RWD or ME/RWD. I've also had sedans*, hatches and other things - usually relegated to utilitarian roles. While I have driven a number of BMWs over the years, I never thought seriously about buying one or any other "performance sedan". As I've gotten older (50+), and needed a new car anyway, I started looking at four doors.

A buddy of mine recently bought a 330i and I was favorably impressed. I was also looking over the other "usual suspect" sedans from Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar, etc. In the end, personally (which is what counts), I liked the aesthetics, handling and especially the interior of the BMWs. I went into the BMW dealer thinking of buying a 3-series but I also tried a 2-series GC. Objectively, the 3-series is a tad bigger, which doesn't really matter to me. The interior has slightly nicer materials, but again not a big deal. I'm sure that a 3-series would be more amusing on a track but, again, that doesn't matter for this purchase. Subjectively though, I preferred the way the GC felt. Moreover, it was immediately available with exactly the options and colors I wanted. I could, of course, have ordered a 3-series and I know that it would have been shipped up from Mexico pretty quickly. As the saying goes, though, I had a bird (which I really liked) in hand.

As for looks - I feel that the 3-series is a more elegant car. Yet, the 2-series GC seems less affected than some of the larger models. To my eye, the GC is cuter and has an element of whimsy to it. While I like the lines of the 3-series sedan, I really like the lines of the GC. It's a serious car but doesn't take itself too seriously. Although certainly different, the GC gestalt reminds me of a high-school friend's 2002 - the only other BMW sedan that ever struck a chord with me.

The GC is a fun little car & it drives well. It may be different from the more traditional BMW offerings but, despite the rude hyperbole, a company like BMW doesn't make garbage. I do admit, however, that I miss having a clutch...

Nevertheless, I feel that all of us are blessed to be in a position to sit around and talk about nice cars, regardless of their characteristics. Stay healthy & enjoy whatever you drive.

-Ken

* = BMW marketing lingo aside, I tend to think of the GC as a sedan with a fast back.

Last edited by Fix_The_Cigarette_Lighter; 05-25-2021 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: further pontification
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2021, 09:47 AM   #7
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Most of the 'self appointed purists' haven't seen one in the flesh let alone driven them. I have read 'reviews' that state the front end will wash out at the slightest provocation, or that a child seat would only fit in the rear if the passenger seat was pushed fully forwards. ROFL...
      05-28-2021, 08:26 PM   #8
RogerSully
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X1

I started looking at the 228i when I thought it was time ringer out of my X2. I watched a few reviews before going into the dealership to check it out. I must admit that went in thinking in wasn't going to like it….I really liked it after the test drive and now 3 days into owning it I must say, I really like it! Don't need a back seat for much and I think they trunk holds more than my X2 did..
Oh and the age thing? I just turned 54.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2021, 02:44 AM   #9
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Nice one, us 'oldies' have the common sense of experience it seems. A couple of years ago my daughter described me as a wayward teenager
      06-09-2021, 02:28 AM   #10
Howser1979
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d x drive

Quote:
Most of the 'self appointed purists' haven't seen one in the flesh let alone driven them. I have read 'reviews' that state the front end will wash out at the slightest provocation, or that a child seat would only fit in the rear if the passenger seat was pushed fully forwards. ROFL...
Our 235i is on order and we've just had a baby so I'm curious to get your thoughts on how much room there is with a baby seat in the rear?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 06:00 PM   #11
drdunkyn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i vert

After driving the 228 GC as a loaner when my m240i cracked the engine block, I have to agree with you, Jax. I think the critics dismiss this out of hand ONLY because it's FWD based. Although most other German manufacturers have many FWD builds, BMW has remained the only purely RWD company. People don't like change, and this is what seems to fuel the hate. I only have one kid (which is why I got a 4-seater convertible), but even so when my wife saw the loaner she immediately wanted me to replace the 240 with it. I went and tried a 235 GC and it's indeed FAST, great tech on it too. I came from VW and loved my FWDs, but have grown accustomed to RWD, but the difference isn't deal-breaking by any means.

Anyway, drive what you love, and this series is nothing to hate! Glad you enjoy your ride!

Also, throw in some carriage returns once in a while, it makes you rant easier to read! (or maybe that's what makes it a rant?)
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2021, 02:24 AM   #12
Velocita-1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Gran Coupe

The assault by the motoring press on the M235i Gran Coupe's polarising looks, change of drive train and omission of two cylinders is a disgrace. Almost all reviewers refuse to acknowledge the car is aimed at an entirely different customer base than BMW's rear wheel driven models or that it should be reviewed on its own merits. Why? Because it's not what the journalists expected, desired or surmised it should be! In fact without taking into consideration that it has been built to take a share of the the market from the CLA 35 AMG and the S3 Saloon, most reviewers are missing the mark completely.

In the absence of a realistic comparison with a similar vehicle, the all too common press pack question about the Gran Coupe rears its ugly head "What is the point of this vehicle?" The question should be "What is the point of this poor review?" Are these journalists simply Seeking validation from the RWD fanboys by regurgitating the vitriol they have fired towards the Gran Coupe online, rather than offering a rational and fair critique of a new vehicle?

Comparing a FWD/AWD 4CYL with a RWD 6CYL M2 along with the reviewers acting out some kind of pretentious affinity with the 6CYL engine is laughable and offers little insight into whether the Gran Coupe has met it's brief. Can it compete with other manufacturers models in the same segment, not BMW's own product lines. BMW did not make the Gran Coupe to replace the M2. This is made abundantly clear in that a new 6CYL RWD M2 is coming next year.

Even those journalists/YouTubers who do begin to draw comparisons with the Gran Coupe's actual market competitors continue to reflect upon the irrelevant juxtapositions with the M2, rubbishing the Gran Coupe for feeling safe and sure footed on the road, isn't that really the pursuit of any road car manufacturer? To provide safe, predictable handling characteristics that won't offer up any unexpected surprises to the driver? It's not the pursuit of every motorist to do doughnuts in the Asda/Walmart car park or slide round a roundabout putting the general public at risk!

It would seem though that in terms of performance the BMW really brings the hammer down on its peers. In spite of its predictable and safe handling. Having watched the CarWow drag race between the M135i XDrive, the Audi S3 and the Mercedes AMG 35
I have picked out some points from my observations that certainly suggest to me that at road legal speeds the engines In the M135i XDrive and M235i Gran Coupe are the strongest.

After the obligatory vehicle descriptions, some lame banter and a listen to their respective exhaust notes the action in the video begins with a standing quarter mile. All vehicles using their Launch control systems. The Audi S3 seems to take off quicker in the wet despite having the same 0-60 time as the BMW. I suspect the BMW reaches 60 quicker than the S3 though as it appears to have stretched ahead momentarily inside the first 5 seconds. The S3 sneaks past the BMW again. It looked like the BMW lost traction for a fraction of a second in the footage. However the Audi did claim the standing 1/4 mile by 2 tenths of a second ahead of the BMW the AMG35 finishing much further behind. A few more runs would have been nice here.

At motorway speeds though both the AMG and BMW leave the S3 standing, in the first of two rolling acceleration races from 50mph beginning with all cars in auto. The S3 can't catch the BMW until it reaches between 120 and 130MPH where the opportunity to overtake on anywhere but an airstrip would have long passed. Even with a full manual Shifting rolling start from 50 where the Audi still auto shifts up at red line (Not really manual mode Audi?). The S3 to was forced to power itself to over 100MPH before it could begin to pass the BMW driver who was relying on his reflexes to change gears and had already passed the AMG 35 after it's momentary leap forward.

It's evident that Audi sought out to impress with top end speed where as BMW and Mercedes gearing is focused towards real world driving speeds. You can really see the BMW"s extra torque delivers where it counts which is around motorway driving speeds. If you wanted to overtake an S3 in your M135i Xdrive or M235i Gran Coupe on the motorway it should do so with little challenge until the Speedo hits triple figures, before which if you didn't want an automatic disqualification would be braking time.

Did CarWow not want to admit that the Audi will never be overtaking anyone one at 120MPH on the road and therefore accept the BMW destroyed it? Or were they oblivious to the reality of which cars performance was best as a road car? It's incredible how simple, and pertinent facts can be overlooked by dim witted reviews or unrealistic testing not reflecting upon actual driving conditions or legal limitations. I'm guessing the majority of these cars will never see a race track let alone an airfield.

And BMW "you can thank me later for the bloody advert"
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 07:18 AM   #13
Brooklyn M240i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 30i  [0.00]
2023 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxwired View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I'm 16 and I have a 228i Gran Coupe in Storm Bay (my profile picture) I love the car mine is base, so it's not fancy but every time I take off or beat someone at a light I just smile. I know it's not the fastest but if you ask me 228hp and 258 lb-ft of torque is good for someone who is 16.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 08:52 AM   #14
Olddriver60
Olddriver60
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F44 218i sport GC Auto

As a long term BMW owner my current 218i auto is #5 since 2008, and this one suits me perfectly, when I started to look last autumn at changing my F30 318i auto I read all the on line reviews I could find, many were critical mostly on looks and the FWD platform, some criticised the engine in the 235i for being a four cylinder, I am glad I didn’t pay much heed!

In the “metal” a 2 series GC of whatever model is to my eyes a good looking car the 235i is obviously on a level way above my humble 218i, my view is that the motoring media pander to what they believe their intended audience will want to read.

What’s important in all of this debate is that you as the owner is happy with the car, just enjoy the BMW ownership experience
      09-20-2021, 12:18 PM   #15
Velocita-1
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddriver60 View Post
As a long term BMW owner my current 218i auto is #5 since 2008, and this one suits me perfectly, when I started to look last autumn at changing my F30 318i auto I read all the on line reviews I could find, many were critical mostly on looks and the FWD platform, some criticised the engine in the 235i for being a four cylinder, I am glad I didn't pay much heed!

In the "metal" a 2 series GC of whatever model is to my eyes a good looking car the 235i is obviously on a level way above my humble 218i, my view is that the motoring media pander to what they believe their intended audience will want to read.

What's important in all of this debate is that you as the owner is happy with the car, just enjoy the BMW ownership experience
Your right, the media play to the crowd. Seeking validation from fanboy communities rather than providing objective reviews.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #16
ShadowFoxBiH
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i sDrive GC

Quote:
Hello all. New owner of an M235i GC here. Mine is white with Shadow line and Magma interior. I wanted to give me thoughts on the car since I have watched multiple YouTube reviews and read multiple print reviews that are less than favorable. This post is about why I like the car and I think much of the reviewer population is way off. First, I heard one reviewer say that they don't even understand why BMW would build such a car as there is no market for it. This is ridiculous. Obviously based on the success of the Audi S3 and the Merc CLA AMG there is a definite segment of the market that wants a small fast sedan from premium auto brands. In fact, that's exactly what I wanted. I was driving a VW GTI Mk 7 and it was totaled in a freak hail storm. I loved the GTI. I considered a new GTI to replace the totaled one and the next gen was about to be released but not soon enough to make sense for me. So I looked elsewhere. I considered a VW Golf R but again, the new one is not available for several more months and I needed a car. So I looked to see what other sporty small cars were available. I prefer small cars. Bigger cars simply do not handle the same and are less fun to drive for my driving style. My GTI was a 4 door and I needed to stick with 4 doors because I have 3 kids. So why not buy the Audi S3? Well, IMO, the S3 interior is way too Spartan. It's minimalist to the extreme. It does not feel opulent the way the price suggests it should. And that is an area where the M235i GC crushes the Audi. The M235i IMO looks just as high end and luxuries as the BMW 330i. The dash, controls, layout, and interior finishes are basically the same as the big brother 330i, just scaled down to fit the smaller frame of the M235i. Whereas comparing the Audi S3 to the Audi S4 or A4, the bigger Audi has a WAY more luxurious and beautiful interior. So Audi stepped down the interior quality when going from the S4/A4 to the S3/A3 and BMW did NOT do this going from the 330i to the 238i. Next you have the Merc CLA AMG competition. The Merc does have a nicely appointed interior but personally I do not like it as much as the BMW and here's why. The Merc is trying too hard. The BMW's interior is understated elegance. It's posh, rich, and sumptuous without being ostentatious. The Merc interior borders on ostentatious. Driving the Merc I found the ride and handling less sophisticated. Maybe it handles better on the track but I don't care about track handling. I use my BMW as a daily driver. So that's why I liked the BMW over the Merc and the Audi. Next you have all the people that hate on the exterior looks of the 2 series GC. So what if the backend has similarities to a Toyota or even a Kia why exactly is that so egregious? Unless you are saying those are all ugly cars and millions of KIA and Toyota owners would disagree. But I also think people tend to hate anything that's a departure from what they are used to and yes, this body style of the M235i is a departure. But for me that's a huge PLUS, not a negative. Yes, I bought the M235i over the 330i because I wanted a smaller car but I also bought it for exactly the reason that so many people dislike it, BECAUSE it's different. The 330i is a beautiful car, no doubt, but it also looks very similar to literally a million other BMW's that are on the road. Nobody looks twice at a new 330i. Why would you, they're everywhere. Nothing special there. How many M235i's or 228i's have I passed since I bought mine 3 weeks ago? ZERO. And I've been looking. Sorry, but no, if I spend $50k+ on a new car I'd like to think it's a bit special. Hard to do that with a 330i when every parking lot already has 5 others just like yours. Now, let me address the whole, "this car sux because it's not RWD and it's sitting on a Mini platform". Umm.. this car is a rocket. Any car that can do 0 to 60 sub 5 seconds is special. Yes, a true M2 is half a second faster but how noticeable is that? I also suspect that the two cars are closer than BMW is willing to admit. For the vast majority of people a 4.6 sec 0 to 60 is blazing fast. Also, the M2 only has 2 doors, it has a less current interior, AND IMO the exterior is much more ordinary than the Gran Coupe. Do I still like the full blown M2, yes, it's nice. I just think these reviewers have their priorities aligned to a very small segment of the buying population. The number of BMW M enthusiasts is small compared to the overall number of BMW owners. In fact, based on who I see driving the most expensive performance BMW's and Mercs I'd say most of the owners are simply wealthy and are not BMW M enthusiasts at all. BMW is appealing to the common buyer with the 2 series GC and not the diehard M fan. That's smart given the size of the two populations. And while RWD cars have always been prized for superior performance, front wheel biased all-wheel drive cars like the VW Golf R have huge fan bases and are loved by millions of drivers. With the tech packed into these vehicles, the compromises at this point are far less than the RWD bigots would have you believe. I bet 99% of buyers couldn't even tell you after a test drive whether the M235i was front biased or RWD. Way too much emphasis is put on this by reviewers. Does it make a difference to a certain buyer interested in extreme performance? Yes, but that's hardly reason to call the M235i mediocre. Rant over.
I have to say I joined after reading this. I am a first time BMW owner and I spent time looking at the 3 series and 2 series, I test drove both at the dealership and there was just something that made me go with the 228i. I bought the sDrive model with FWD and while it's not everything I ever dreamed of it sure checks enough boxes for me to really love the look, feel, and drive of the car. I'm a 30 year old professional who was looking for a nice sedan with some speed to it and looking at the comparable from Audi and Mercedes left me lacking and when I drove the 228i it just clicked for me. I'm not looking to spend 50K on a car but in the price range the car comes in at and the features it offers it sure makes a lot of sense from the fun you get out of driving it along with all of the other things it provides from the BMW family.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2021, 09:58 AM   #17
lilziki
Rep
Drives: M235i GC

My m235i GC is the first BMW and 4 sec car I’ve owned so my thoughts could be really inexperienced(?).. but I have a little over 2,000 km on it and today I put the shifter in S and in Sports Mode… and wtf… the car felt and sounded like a little angry toddler monster. And when I pulled into my parking garage, looking for a parking spot, the transmission stayed in 1st gear at around 3-4000 rpm. And it just kept farting and popping when I let my foot off the gas.

I’m sure other cars do this too but damn… I’m really happy with this car. Probably because I’m not a fanboy :/

I’m in my late 30’s. I have a kid so the 4 doors is a huge plus in case I need to take the little one somewhere. The ambient lighting is great because I change when stuck at lights to teach colors haha

Last edited by lilziki; 10-08-2021 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: adds more text
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 09:25 PM   #18
Brooklyn M240i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 30i  [0.00]
2023 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilziki View Post
My m235i GC is the first BMW and 4 sec car I've owned so my thoughts could be really inexperienced(?).. but I have a little over 2,000 km on it and today I put the shifter in S and in Sports Mode… and wtf… the car felt and sounded like a little angry toddler monster. And when I pulled into my parking garage, looking for a parking spot, the transmission stayed in 1st gear at around 3-4000 rpm. And it just kept farting and popping when I let my foot off the gas.

I'm sure other cars do this too but damn… I'm really happy with this car. Probably because I'm not a fanboy :/

I'm in my late 30's. I have a kid so the 4 doors is a huge plus in case I need to take the little one somewhere. The ambient lighting is great because I change when stuck at lights to teach colors haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilziki View Post
My m235i GC is the first BMW and 4 sec car I've owned so my thoughts could be really inexperienced(?).. but I have a little over 2,000 km on it and today I put the shifter in S and in Sports Mode… and wtf… the car felt and sounded like a little angry toddler monster. And when I pulled into my parking garage, looking for a parking spot, the transmission stayed in 1st gear at around 3-4000 rpm. And it just kept farting and popping when I let my foot off the gas.

I'm sure other cars do this too but damn… I'm really happy with this car. Probably because I'm not a fanboy :/

I'm in my late 30's. I have a kid so the 4 doors is a huge plus in case I need to take the little one somewhere. The ambient lighting is great because I change when stuck at lights to teach colors haha
That's is the most awesome thing I've heard about ambient lighting, props to you my man….. that's is how you outsmart the system 👏🏾
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 11:32 PM   #19
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 228I XDrive GC

I have read all the professional reviews and watched all the videos from the automotive journalist online, and they just love to hate this car… I won’t detail the many reasons why they are wrong, but I read a particular one the other day that stated that BMWs are known for their bank vault like sounds when closing the doors. I’ll have to find a link for the review but the guy pretty much said the car sounded worse than a Corolla with a light door that sounded so cheap and rental car like when closing. I don’t know what this dude was smoking but even when I try to shut my doors quietly they slam with a solid thud. I would say on par with any Similarly priced Audi’s, and Mercedes. Especially considering that it’s frameless…
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 08:26 AM   #20
wilsouk
United Kingdom
Rep

I have had my M235 GC for around 5 months and can honestly say every time I put my foot down it brings a huge smile to my face and is great fun to drive. The reviewers do not get this car and it is aimed at a segment who want comfort, quality and performance in a smaller car. The new 3 series was too big for me, the Audi was too bland on the interior and I did not like the Mercedes interior. I am 58, yes another older driver, and felt the 1 series was too common, and wanted a car that looked different, which this car is. This is my first BMW and think they have aimed this car at people like me who want comfort, quality and performance and less than 5 seconds 0-60 is amazing. This car was never built to be an M2 and I would never dream of buying an M2 as it is not practical and would scare me silly driving it.
In response to one of the questions in this link we often have our grand daughter in the back and the car seat fits in fine and we can still get two adults in the back.
Appreciate 3
cukeuk142.00
      05-07-2022, 03:05 PM   #21
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 228I XDrive GC

Well said, I had a 2019 330 I with the base 18 inch rims and run flats and the base sensatec seats and the ride was much more harsh than my F 44, the seats were so uncomfortable, and it was louder. I had driven several other G 20s as well and it was the same. I had a long-term loaner a 2021 M440i coupe however even with the 19 inch sport rims it was much better than the G20, quieter, more comfortable, and of course just a beast…. But it was $74k lol
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 01:17 PM   #22
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2020 M135i Misano Blue

last year in October a bought a 2019 M135i and absolutely love it. I test drove one when it was launched and wanted one ever since. One of my previous cars was an F21 M135i with the N55 engine and xDrive (an option here in Sweden) and the new one is vastly better in terms of handling. They feel about the same in straight line speed.

To this day I dont get the hate, It's really rapid, very stiff and capable chassie, excellent front end, and looks cool a f!
Appreciate 0