BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

04-16-2021, 09:07 AM   #1
Edo135
Rep
Drives: 2021 m135i xdrive f40

M135i aisin trasmission jerky behaviour

Hi everyone,

In my m135i the transmission feels like it disengages when, for example, coming to a stop but not stopping completely to a stand-still and then going back on throttle; i can hear also a knock coming from the torque converter recoupling with the engine.
This happens in comfort mode and a little bit less in eco pro, not in sport because in sport you feel that the transmission is always engaged.

I would like to know if someone else is experiencing this. I've already took the car to the dealer to do a gearbox reset to see if that would have helped but no. It's very annoying and sometimes dangerous because when you have to react fast at a junction you think you have an immediate response from the engine when going back on the throttle but, instead, you have this delay of the transmission re-engaging.

I've experienced also a "lag" when you go from reverse to drive and you accelerate, you hit the gas and the car goes then happens this 1 second lag and then power comes again; this happens also sometimes when you're at a stop and you stay stopped for let's say 30 seconds and then you go back on the throttle.

In family we have also a mini countryman cooper sd all4, the last one after the restyling, and that, which has the same transmission, doesn't behave like this; yes, of course we're talking of a petrol vs diesel with totally different engines and gearbox setups, but just so you know.

I have to take the car back to the dealer for the clicking noise from the turbo/exhaust under load (see thread in the 2 series forum) and on that occasion i'll ask the techs to do a clutch calibration (if possible) to see if this works.

Appreciate your help. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 01:35 AM   #2
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

I can't say I have noticed it like you describe, but I have only done 600km. It is not as good as the 8 speed auto in my 8 Series was, but a step up from the 6 speed auto that was in my Mini. I think it will be a characteristic of this gearbox. All Audis, as well, appear to be like it according to YouTube - all must be emissions mapping for the gearboxes.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 07:58 PM   #3
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edo135 View Post
Hi everyone,

In my m135i the transmission feels like it disengages when, for example, coming to a stop but not stopping completely to a stand-still and then going back on throttle; i can hear also a knock coming from the torque converter recoupling with the engine.
This happens in comfort mode and a little bit less in eco pro, not in sport because in sport you feel that the transmission is always engaged.

I would like to know if someone else is experiencing this. I've already took the car to the dealer to do a gearbox reset to see if that would have helped but no. It's very annoying and sometimes dangerous because when you have to react fast at a junction you think you have an immediate response from the engine when going back on the throttle but, instead, you have this delay of the transmission re-engaging.

I've experienced also a "lag" when you go from reverse to drive and you accelerate, you hit the gas and the car goes then happens this 1 second lag and then power comes again; this happens also sometimes when you're at a stop and you stay stopped for let's say 30 seconds and then you go back on the throttle.

In family we have also a mini countryman cooper sd all4, the last one after the restyling, and that, which has the same transmission, doesn't behave like this; yes, of course we're talking of a petrol vs diesel with totally different engines and gearbox setups, but just so you know.

I have to take the car back to the dealer for the clicking noise from the turbo/exhaust under load (see thread in the 2 series forum) and on that occasion i'll ask the techs to do a clutch calibration (if possible) to see if this works.

Appreciate your help. Thanks.
I face the same exact issues issues. Have not brought it to the dealers attention yet. Had the car for almost a year now.

The part where it pisses me off is when accelerating hard from a stand still and you pull the paddles to shift up to 2nd gear, the car seems to cut power and come back on, albeit violently resulting in a jerk. Experienced this a couple of times, does not always happen but happens frequently enough for me to feel pissed about it.
      12-30-2021, 01:59 PM   #4
JOflatwhite
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135i f40

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I've had my M135i (2020) for over 12 months now and the transmission hesitation has been doing my head in. I've spoken to the Genius technicians at BMW a couple of times. In "D" the gearbox goes into hibernation mode at stop. This causes the slight delay when throttle engaged and transmission "comes to life". VERY annoying. It is unique to these Japanese gearboxes in the 1 & 2 series only. 3 series is not a problem I am told. Only fix is to get used to it (I have to some extent) and shift the gear select to Sport - where the gearbox remains activated at stop.

I've thought about selling the car as I hate this hesitation, however I love the car otherwise. I wish BMW could offer a remapping as I can't be the only amateur who believes this hesitation is not totally frustrating, if not dangerous. It also results in non linear power delivery. You get a surge of power after initial hesitation. Thanks all. Hope someone can offer a possible fix.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 03:01 PM   #5
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

I set my car to sport individual with everything to comfort aside from the gearbox set to sport...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 08:37 AM   #6
Paia
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135M F40

135 M F40 Gearbox problem

hello...
we have the same problem ,and more...
the car is tuned,first we had 2nd to 3d gear problem,slipping and then fault and safe mode and hard shifting from 2nd to 3d
4203A1 gear ratio monitoring , Gear 2 : Clutch C1 or B1 open incorrectly
4217E1 Transmission ratio monitoring ,reverce gear : clutch C3 or B2 Jammed
421809 electronic pressure control valve B1 : minimum pressure

replace the gearbox with used, use the old TCU and the problem is the same, so the problem was from TCU. then i use the used one from the used gearbox and had a problem from R to D the gearbox has hard shifting harder after a long drive. does any one have a note from the valvebody pressure valves?

do not tune the car , only a light 1st stage
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 02:06 PM   #7
Erebor
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition (G82)

What are the torque figures of your tune? The gearbox is rated for 480Nm, so I wouldnt go far beyond 500.

Incoming: 2023 F40 M135i xDrive in indiv. Tansanite Blue
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 03:28 PM   #8
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Just seems like a clumsy transmission to me. I think it’s a feature of the box and it’s definitely not well matched to the car. Fumbling for gears at times. I’ve driven a few when I visited a friend and the engine notes weren’t even pleasant. They should have stuck with ZF.
Appreciate 1
Manboy440.00
      02-17-2023, 12:25 AM   #9
Erebor
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition (G82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Just seems like a clumsy transmission to me. I think it’s a feature of the box and it’s definitely not well matched to the car. Fumbling for gears at times. I’ve driven a few when I visited a friend and the engine notes weren’t even pleasant. They should have stuck with ZF.
Yes, they should have, but ZF didn't have a fitting gearbox to use at the time. There are rumors, that BMW will switch to the new ZF 9-speed for the F70.

Incoming: 2023 F40 M135i xDrive in indiv. Tansanite Blue
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13342.00
      02-17-2023, 01:25 AM   #10
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebor View Post
Yes, they should have, but ZF didn't have a fitting gearbox to use at the time. There are rumors, that BMW will switch to the new ZF 9-speed for the F70.
That would be awesome if they do
Appreciate 0