BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-07-2021, 05:28 PM   #1
srey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6mt

I really want a 987.2 Cayman S

I love my e90 335i. It's been a great classroom to learn auto maintenance and performance tuning. It's a phenomenal highway cruiser and makes me smile every time I drive it (until the annoying binging comes on because something's wrong).

I want something that handles tighter. I have many canyon roads around me in Southeast Idaho that are great for driving. I can't have a motorcycle since I was hit while riding my Honda Magna in college. My wife, then fiancee, isn't down for two wheel fun, so that leads me to the Cayman.

Here are the wrenches in the gears:
  1. Unlike many of the people who frequent this forum, I am not wealthy. I'm comfortably middle class as a single income earner with a wife and three kids, a mortgage on a cookie cutter home with a three car garage on an acre lot in rural Idaho, and an affinity for learning how to DIY things. I'd have to sell my e90 to partially fund the purchase of a 987.
  2. I've owned my 335i for five years, and have taken it from bone stock to FBO with all the pieces in place to make it a no fricks given ebay turbo spooling, one-tire fire, put a grin on your face shiz show. I love the care. My only regret is getting the e90 instead of the much more attractive e92.
  3. Car prices are insane right now. It would be dumb to make a car purchase that wasn't necessary right now.

Anyway, just creating discussion fodder with feelings sharing and no questions asked.

What car do you pine for at the moment?
Appreciate 1
ccdre337.00
      06-07-2021, 06:14 PM   #2
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Nice, honest post. I think your Cayman idea is an amazing one. I bought a 718S a couple of years ago (my first P car). The 4 banger turbo in that car wasn’t for me, but holy cow the driving dynamics were sublime. Nothing quite like taking an aggressive corner in a mid engine car. Unreal. Good luck with the search!!
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      06-07-2021, 06:15 PM   #3
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggins View Post
Nice, honest post. I think your Cayman idea is an amazing one. I bought a 718S a couple of years ago (my first P car). The 4 banger turbo in that car wasn’t for me, but holy cow the driving dynamics were sublime. Nothing quite like taking an aggressive corner in a mid engine car. Unreal. Good luck with the search!!
And to answer your question, I pine for the GT3 touring…but that is way out of reach.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      06-07-2021, 09:58 PM   #4
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Similar sentiments. I'm in my late 20s and will finally completing my lengthy training to begin my desired profession in a year. Don't really need a new car but my DD is 9 yrs old. Prematurely pulled the trigger on an Alfa Giulia. Trade in on my car was excellent and I was still getting a significant discount on the new car despite inventory shortages. It was a tough decision parting with my car which brought me so much joy and fond memories over the years. It was always with me even when things were shaky in my academic life.

Regardless, here's to new beginnings.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 02:00 AM   #5
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Just do it....life is short, live it up while you can.

I picked up a 981 Cayman S a a couple years ago and love it....won't win many drag races in it, but it will keep up with just about anything in a canyon...the handling on these cars is unreal.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Violator4587.50
jesm207.50
      06-08-2021, 07:55 AM   #6
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Id recommend waiting until the end of 2022 before making the purchase, otherwise you'll be paying extra for no reason. To be quite honest, I have a feeling Porsche prices will be the LAST to drop once the market normalizes. Porsche's always have held their value very well and people who purchase them generally have the financial holding power to keep them in they don't get the price they want.
Appreciate 1
alan7467128.00
      06-08-2021, 12:57 PM   #7
srey
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
Id recommend waiting until the end of 2022 before making the purchase, otherwise you'll be paying extra for no reason. To be quite honest, I have a feeling Porsche prices will be the LAST to drop once the market normalizes. Porsche's always have held their value very well and people who purchase them generally have the financial holding power to keep them in they don't get the price they want.
Great advice. That will give me time to save my pennies too.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #8
srey
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
Just do it....life is short, live it up while you can.

I picked up a 981 Cayman S a a couple years ago and love it....won't win many drag races in it, but it will keep up with just about anything in a canyon...the handling on these cars is unreal.
The handling is what I want. My 335i's acceleration is great and all, but it takes no time at all to be doing go-directly-to-jail speeds. It can be frustrating to not be able to explore the limits of the car, especially since the handling limits are reached fairly easily.
Appreciate 0