E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Car shaking

07-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
DJPolska
Muzik?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Car shaking

So I researched the issue and found out it may be either the hpfp issue or maybe a faulty ignition/cylinder coil... But my symptoms dont match 100%. I hadn\'t driven the car since Thursday 4 days ago an when I started it today the service engine soon light stayed on and the car shakes whenever it\'s in park or when I hit the throttle. I noticed that it also wasn\'t as responsive to the throttle as normal. But the crank time seems about normal.
Anyone have any insight on what it could be? I have a 2006 e90 325i with 54k miles, The warranty is expired as of may (sucks) but I think the hpfp problem is covered for 10yrs/120k miles.. Any ideas on an estimate of how much it would cost to fix it if it\'s a different issue?
Any help is definitely appreciated, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

the HPFP problem is only for turbo cars with the 335 engine. You have something else going on.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Definitely sounds like an ignition coil.

Get the code read on your car, it'll confirm it.

Simple to replace. Will take you an hour max, if that.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

If it shakes upon cold start-up then put a bottle of chevron techron in the gas tank.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
DJPolska
Muzik?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
It will shake when it's in park and also while it's running and I just have my brake on (like at a stoplight)

So that sound like the ignition coil? I found on online for $40 so it seems like that wouldn't be too terrible
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPolska View Post
It will shake when it's in park and also while it's running and I just have my brake on (like at a stoplight)

So that sound like the ignition coil? I found on online for $40 so it seems like that wouldn't be too terrible
may be **an** ignition coil, not **the** ignition coil. These engines have a coil for each plug.

Get the codes read, maybe it will tell you what cylinder is throwing the code, if it is indeed a coil. Could be lots of things. Maybe find a good indy mechanic in your area? You don't sound like you know a whole lot about BMW engines...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPolska View Post

Get the code read, if it is an ignition coil, the car will throw a standard OBDII code that can be read at any AutoZone, O'Reilly's, PepBoys, Advance, whatever you got in the area.

Post back with the code and we can give you more information about the problem.

It does sound like an ignition coil, my car did similar things when I had one fail, but the code will tell you for sure. It'll also tell you which cylinder is having the problem so you can troubleshoot and verify it is an ignition coil.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #8
DJPolska
Muzik?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
may be **an** ignition coil, not **the** ignition coil. These engines have a coil for each plug.

Get the codes read, maybe it will tell you what cylinder is throwing the code, if it is indeed a coil. Could be lots of things. Maybe find a good indy mechanic in your area? You don't sound like you know a whole lot about BMW engines...
alright big man i don't know a whole lot but i know enough. I know there's more than just one coil.. just a little grammar mistake sorry.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 01:45 AM   #9
DJPolska
Muzik?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Get the code read, if it is an ignition coil, the car will throw a standard OBDII code that can be read at any AutoZone, O'Reilly's, PepBoys, Advance, whatever you got in the area.

Post back with the code and we can give you more information about the problem.

It does sound like an ignition coil, my car did similar things when I had one fail, but the code will tell you for sure. It'll also tell you which cylinder is having the problem so you can troubleshoot and verify it is an ignition coil.
okay yeah thats what I was thinking, ill see what I can get done, I think I know a guy in the area who can help so Im just hoping its one of the coils since it seems to be a relatively easy less troublesome fix. thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0