BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

06-02-2023, 05:06 AM   #1
mandariinimake
Rep
Drives: M235i F44 (2020)

Cool M235i Tuning

Hi,
I'm a new member to these car-forums, but here we go:

I've had my M235i since the summer of 2020, instantly put Vossen HF-3's on it (20"), and this is the "tuning" I've done so far:

- 2021: I got a tune done by Celtic Tuning (on paper 301hp -> 360 hp, 450 NM -> 515 NM)

- 2022: I got a Remus axle back exhaust done, which later got turned into a catback exhaust by also getting the OPF removed a couple of weeks later.

-2023: on the 13th I am getting a Cobra downpipe (with a 200cell, so not catless) and an Eventuri intake installed.

AMA, ask me anything, and also tell me about the tuning you have done to your M235i's!

Just for the record, I do also own a P-Gear -device, and can also provide data from that.

Last edited by mandariinimake; 06-02-2023 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: Just wanted to mention the pgear.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 06:32 AM   #2
Tombrunskill
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Gran Coupe

You got any videos of what the exhaust sounds like?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 07:48 AM   #3
mandariinimake
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombrunskill View Post
You got any videos of what the exhaust sounds like?
I do, but honestly speaking my iPhone microphone serves the exhaust zero justice. When it comes to the sound of the exhaust, getting the Remus axle back did not really make the car necessarily louder, or I don't at least recall it getting noticeably louder. It rather changed the tone of the exhaust seemingly towards more of a low-pitched sound. Therefore trying to record the difference between that and the stock one was really tough. But there was a difference live, for sure.

Removing the OPF was the REAL difference maker. The car became so much louder. It is like a whole new car, and you can hear that from the loudness of the exhaust, the tone of the exhaust, and also how the "pops" are really amplified now. Also, even with a slighter acceleration, you can hear the exhaust making a more of a raspy sound, and downshifting while going down an even small downhill will almost certainly make a few loud pops. The pops on startup can also now be REALLY noticeable, and they sound really aggressive.

I would most certainly get the cat back version of the exhaust and I am really glad that I went back and took the OPF off to make it so. When it comes to the downpipe, I'm not sure how much it will change the exhaust sound of the car. Although, I most likely won't have the cat removed from the downpipe, I'll keep you updated on the sound when I finally get that put on to the car.

P.S. I'm not a native in English
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 07:50 AM   #4
mandariinimake
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandariinimake View Post
I do, but honestly speaking my iPhone microphone serves the exhaust zero justice.
And I can say this confidently since I was also browsing the web A LOT and listening to many videos of the exhaust and how it changes with different aftermarket ones - so trust me on this.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 01:48 PM   #5
FourCarss
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F44 M235i Gran Coupe

Quote:
And I can say this confidently since I was also browsing the web A LOT and listening to many videos of the exhaust and how it changes with different aftermarket ones - so trust me on this.
I have a catless downpipe and the full remus race exhaust. Sounds amazing
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 02:20 PM   #6
Tombrunskill
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I get what you’re saying mate, do you still have any videos just by chance I’m just trying get a gist of whether or not it’s worth doing as your car should sound similar to mine with you being from Finland
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 02:21 PM   #7
Tombrunskill
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourCarss View Post
Send vid, the European variant doesn’t sound anywhere near as nice😪
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 09:29 PM   #8
FourCarss
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Send vid, the European variant doesn’t sound anywhere near as nice😪
If you message my IG @sam.kushner I can show you
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 04:26 AM   #9
mandariinimake
Rep

Has anyone looked into Future Design's aero kit? Judging by the pictures it looks fantastic..https://cargym.com/products/bmw-2-se...-future-design

Thoughts?

E: Especially the rear diffuser is crazy-good-looking!

Last edited by mandariinimake; 07-19-2023 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: x
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 04:06 AM   #10
PEACE_NYC
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourCarss View Post
Hey, sorry to bother. Can you please tell me what downpipe you went with for the BMW F44 M235i Gran Coupe ? Like the specific downpipe, the name or maybe a link ? Cause it’s very hard to find down pipe information on this car. I would appreciate it a lot if you let me know, thanks.
Appreciate 1
CoopJet3859.50
      12-31-2023, 11:24 AM   #11
FourCarss
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEACE_NYC View Post
Hey, sorry to bother. Can you please tell me what downpipe you went with for the BMW F44 M235i Gran Coupe ? Like the specific downpipe, the name or maybe a link ? Cause it’s very hard to find down pipe information on this car. I would appreciate it a lot if you let me know, thanks.
Sure. Its the Evolution Racewerks Downpipe for X1/X2/2 Series Gran Coupe/Mini with B46/B48 Engine
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 10:53 AM   #12
mandariinimake
Rep

Quote:
Cobra also makes downpipes for this car. Thats what I have on my car.
https://cobrasport.com/collections/b...rmance-exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 03:17 PM   #13
PEACE_NYC
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235i Gran Coupe

Thanks for the head ups. If i get the sports cat, thats to pass emissions ? And if i get the de-cat that’ll give me more performance supposedly but I won’t be able to pass inspection basically ? Is that how down pipes work ? And what does it mean to remove your OPF ?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 12:18 PM   #14
mandariinimake
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the head ups. If i get the sports cat, thats to pass emissions ? And if i get the de-cat that’ll give me more performance supposedly but I won’t be able to pass inspection basically ? Is that how down pipes work ? And what does it mean to remove your OPF ?
Downpipe is the way for the air from your motorbay to reach the bottom of your car. A 200-cell downpipe, what i assume you mean by a sport cat, basically still has the catalytic converter, but it passes a lot more air through it. What people refer with de-cat, is a downpipe which does not have the catalytic converter whatsoever. Race- or sports -cat downpipe should always pass the inspection, to my understanding. Decatted downpipe in most countries wont. Decatted downpipe wont necessarily increase your performance, unless youre adding a upgraded turbo etc. If youre just doing a exhaust-setup and a tune, I would get the catted downpipe. Its a bit less noisy but I wont smell as bad . OPF is a can-looking thing which comes after the downpipe and is located at the bottom of your car. What people mean by removing the OPF is that they replace it with just a straight pipe, which should not be mixed with "straight piping" a car. Thats a different thing. When youre selecting a exhaust-setup for your car, youll most likely have two options: either you get an axle-back exhaust which keeps the OPF in, or then you get a cat-back exhaust, which also replaces the OPF and basically re-does the piping all the way from your downpipe. If you have any more questions, please let me know
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 04:32 PM   #15
Tombrunskill
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Downpipe is the way for the air from your motorbay to reach the bottom of your car. A 200-cell downpipe, what i assume you mean by a sport cat, basically still has the catalytic converter, but it passes a lot more air through it. What people refer with de-cat, is a downpipe which does not have the catalytic converter whatsoever. Race- or sports -cat downpipe should always pass the inspection, to my understanding. Decatted downpipe in most countries wont. Decatted downpipe wont necessarily increase your performance, unless youre adding a upgraded turbo etc. If youre just doing a exhaust-setup and a tune, I would get the catted downpipe. Its a bit less noisy but I wont smell as bad . OPF is a can-looking thing which comes after the downpipe and is located at the bottom of your car. What people mean by removing the OPF is that they replace it with just a straight pipe, which should not be mixed with "straight piping" a car. Thats a different thing. When youre selecting a exhaust-setup for your car, youll most likely have two options: either you get an axle-back exhaust which keeps the OPF in, or then you get a cat-back exhaust, which also replaces the OPF and basically re-does the piping all the way from your downpipe. If you have any more questions, please let me know

Did you manage to code out the opf? Surely when you remove the opf it displays a fault on the car
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 02:29 AM   #16
mandariinimake
Rep

Quote:
Did you manage to code out the opf? Surely when you remove the opf it displays a fault on the car
Yes the errorcode got coded out.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 06:03 AM   #17
Tombrunskill
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes the errorcode got coded out.
How were you able to do this mate? I want to get my opf out but no idea how to remove the code
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 10:00 AM   #18
alphinef44
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M235i Gran Coupe

Quote:
How were you able to do this mate? I want to get my opf out but no idea how to remove the code
get tuned by bootmod3 and turn off cel
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2024, 03:25 AM   #19
mandariinimake
Rep

Quote:
I went to a tuner to get the tune and some hardware updates done. They did all the appropriate software work.
Appreciate 0