Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

04-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #23
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Money - have you tried Sonax Polynetshield yet? Curious your thoughts on it - however, I think it woul dbe best on your white, as I don't necessarily think it gives the deepest shine but does a phenomenal job on long protection and water beading/cleaning.

Also, have you tried Stoner's Tire Shine SPRAY on (aerosol can). I've been using that because it allows me to shine all 4 tires in literally 60 seconds and keep my hands clean. It's also lasting pretty well even when driving through rain and whatnot. And it's been consistently fading into a nice deep but matte black finish on the tire as it wears away the gloss.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #24
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Money - have you tried Sonax Polynetshield yet? Curious your thoughts on it - however, I think it woul dbe best on your white, as I don't necessarily think it gives the deepest shine but does a phenomenal job on long protection and water beading/cleaning.

Also, have you tried Stoner's Tire Shine SPRAY on (aerosol can). I've been using that because it allows me to shine all 4 tires in literally 60 seconds and keep my hands clean. It's also lasting pretty well even when driving through rain and whatnot. And it's been consistently fading into a nice deep but matte black finish on the tire as it wears away the gloss.
Joe,

I used Sonax PNS for about a year and a half. The problem with it is that pollen messes it up. It stops beading. I still use it on my door jams.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #25
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
If you are will to spend the cash, I'd get the Rupes LHR15. If not, I prefer the Griot's over the Porter Cable. If you get really bored, I have like fifty videos on my YouTube channel showing all kinds of boring crap having to do with polishing.
Interesting to hear you say that.

I have an original Griot's 6" polisher, but I find that it seemingly doesn't have enough oomph to keep the pad properly moving. The line I draw on it seems to not rotate unless I really keep the pressure off.

Thoughts? Wrong pads & polishes? I was using Griot's stuff, which I know you think is junk. If I use a different pad and polish should I be able to get it to work? The other thought I had was a smaller backing plate and pad.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #26
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Interesting to hear you say that.

I have an original Griot's 6" polisher, but I find that it seemingly doesn't have enough oomph to keep the pad properly moving. The line I draw on it seems to not rotate unless I really keep the pressure off.

Thoughts? Wrong pads & polishes? I was using Griot's stuff, which I know you think is junk. If I use a different pad and polish should I be able to get it to work? The other thought I had was a smaller backing plate and pad.
I too have the Gen 1 Griot's 6" DA Polisher. You just can't dig into it like a machine that uses forced rotation (Flex). You simply have to let off enough to let the pad rotate. It's part of the reason why it takes so much longer to correct paint with a Griot's vs. Rupes or Flex. You can't apply as much pressure and the throw is shorter.

Using different pads or polishes won't speed up the machine, but could cut down on the number of passes you'd need to make to do a proper correction. I'm begging you, throw that Griot's polish in the trash and get something else, anything!

The website I'm building is going to be an organized spot for me to explain exactly what I'm using and why. I'm not saying my way is the best, but I've probably spent ten times the amount of time and money more the average DIY detailer.

I'm sure my process will continue to evolve, but get ready to spend some money.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 09:57 PM   #27
ggrrrrrr
Private
Rep
Drives: F80M3

Did you see the latest from Adams, H2O Guard and Gloss.

They already had an April Fools gag so H20 Guard and Gloss looks legit. Could be a great drying aid.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #28
XRAVE
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrrrrrr View Post
Did you see the latest from Adams, H2O Guard and Gloss.

They already had an April Fools gag so H20 Guard and Gloss looks legit. Could be a great drying aid.
Carpro Hydro2 does the same thing but you don't need to rub it in. Literally spray on, spray off with water. No cure time or anything.

I've had it for 3 months now and its still going strong
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:17 AM   #29
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Matt,

Put about 10k miles on mine now in Alpine White and just gave it a really good thorough cleaning. Noticed a very hefty amount of industrial fallout/iron contaminants embedded in the paint (this is my first white car in awhile and since I've become an amateur detailer).

Just wondering: Do you use any products to WASH this stuff out, or just get it out with clay bar?

P.s. Interesting note about Sonax PNS and pollen. I'm entering pollen season now, so I'm guessing I'm going to see this soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:21 AM   #30
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Matt,

Put about 10k miles on mine now in Alpine White and just gave it a really good thorough cleaning. Noticed a very hefty amount of industrial fallout/iron contaminants embedded in the paint (this is my first white car in awhile and since I've become an amateur detailer).

Just wondering: Do you use any products to WASH this stuff out, or just get it out with clay bar?

P.s. Interesting note about Sonax PNS and pollen. I'm entering pollen season now, so I'm guessing I'm going to see this soon.
Prior to clay, I always use an Iron Out spray. Any of them will work. I use Auto Finesse.

I'd be interested to hear how PNS holds up this spring.
Appreciate 0