F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dinan Stage 1 vs MPPSK
Extreme Powerhouse

03-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #45
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versipellis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I want to see a drag race between the dinan stage 1 and mppsk to settle this once and for all. How well does the 8 speed handle the power and is this covered by dinan. Also I have the extended warranty to 100 k how does this affect the dinan and BMW warranty do I have to pay additional to extended to 100 k for both dinan and BMW in addition to what I already paid to extend warranty?
Doesn't the Dinan Tune stack on top of the MPPSK? Why not just get both?
Wonder if that's covered by warranty wouldn't want to blow the thing up and have to replace the engine and zf gearbox out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #46
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
I'm pretty much in agreement with you, I don't think MOST of the power gains are from the exhaust and I also don't think that is what BMW said. That's why I quoted what BMW actually said which states the power gains are a combination of the exhaust and the tune. I'll leave it to Insanecoder and Paul e to defend their posts, I'm just trying to keeps the facts stated by the manufacturer the basis for this discussion.
Looked to me they put emphasis on the exhaust and I read somewhere the tune was mostly for throttle response sorry I cant find the reference I dont mark every lil detail I read. I'm sure the ECU tune the others said must be mild.. makes sense no need to get worked up about it..all ya have to do is call up BMW poke around and ask.
The gains from MPPSK isnt great to begin with imo so I'd venture a good % of it came from the intake & catback didnt touch the downpipe & and they put emphasis on the exhaust.. who knows maybe they came up with a great catback design pffft

So for $3200 is an intake, catback, and a mild tune worth it given the #s? hmmm
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 10:08 PM   #47
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

An Intake isn't part of the MPPSK, it's just the catback and tune. What makes it worth the money to many who have it is the OEM warranty.
      03-13-2017, 10:16 PM   #48
oarnura
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Looked to me they put emphasis on the exhaust and I read somewhere the tune was mostly for throttle response sorry I cant find the reference I dont mark every lil detail I read. I'm sure the ECU tune the others said must be mild.. makes sense no need to get worked up about it..all ya have to do is call up BMW poke around and ask.
The gains from MPPSK isnt great to begin with imo so I'd venture a good % of it came from the intake & catback didnt touch the downpipe & and they put emphasis on the exhaust.. who knows maybe they came up with a great catback design pffft

So for $3200 is an intake, catback, and a mild tune worth it given the #s? hmmm
According to dyno results the gain is similar to Dinan Stage 1. Also it is has no hassle warranty. BMW will never question you for having it for any warranty work. That to me is worth the money. This coming from a guy that had Dinan Stage 1 on my E89. I would trust Dinan too. Dinan Elite is $1400 and a decent exhaust is roughly $1500. So the MPPSK doesn't seem overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 10:45 AM   #49
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Except you don't NEED the exhaust for the Dinan to get the similar power rating upgrade.

But you HAVE to get the exhaust with MPPSK.

ALSO - I did read here that most of the power came from the exhaust, I cannot remember every thread I have read, and I posted up originally because I was not sure of the accuracy of that.

The fact you CANNOT get the MPPSK without the exhaust would seem to go along with that though. Sure would be interesting to see a dyno pull with the software and without the exhaust, but that won't happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #50
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul e View Post
Except you don't NEED the exhaust for the Dinan to get the similar power rating upgrade.

ALSO - I did read here that most of the power came from the exhaust, I cannot remember every thread I have read, and I posted up originally because I was not sure of the accuracy of that.

The fact you CANNOT get the MPPSK without the exhaust would seem to go along with that though. Sure would be interesting to see a dyno pull with the software and without the exhaust, but that won't happen.
If you look at the mppsk exhaust design, it looks like a midpipe muffler/resonator delete & a certain valve setting would shunt the axleback muffler essentially almost taking it out of the circuit I would think the resistance of the muffler would be negligible at that point

I dont know if the cat has been upgraded since N55 but at that point the exhaust bottleneck would then be squarely on the downpipe.. not a bad design at all in theory.. maybe the stock muffler & midpipe was a huge bottleneck & accounted for alot of gain who knows
I wouldnt mind having that exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 07:23 AM   #51
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

I doubt bmw came up with some revolutionary designed exhaust/muffler that was THAT much better than stock. The gains come from the flash tune and slightly better air flow from the exhaust. Majority of the gains are coming from the tune. Think about it, it's the only flash tune out and we all know how much better a flash tune is than a piggyback. BMW doesn't sell the tune without the exhaust because they were designed to work together.
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #52
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul e View Post

Stop. There's already another 5-page thread going on either here or Bimmerfest about whether the gains are from an ECU tune or exhaust. The conclusion was ECU tune by the end of that. MPPSK was previously available without the exhaust as the MPPK.
Gitte41.00
      03-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #53
BLACK HAWK DOWN
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16' AW 340i xDrive

Garage List
Well everyone is giving their two cents, here is mine from my limited bmw knowledge and turbo tuning knowledge.

The MPPK was a F30 335 power kit that had an intake and an ecu tune for a combined gain of 35 hp. BMW decided to work the intake and tune to get these gains.

The MPPSK is a B58 power kit that has an exhaust and an ecu tune for a combined gain of 35 hp. BMW decided to work the exhaust and tune to get these gains.

Now, whether it's the exhaust or the tune this is my view. I believe it's both with the tune doing the heavy lifting. In sport mode with the valves open the exhaust system turns into a straight pipe, this in itself will acheive gains greater than any aftermarket cat back muffler/resonator delete system offered for this engine, so check if they claim 8hp i would say a straight pipe (MPPSK exhaust in sport) could be as much as 16hp gain. Turbos do not like back pressure after the turbine exit and a lot of gains can be had without even adding a tune in many cases.

I'm not sure why BMW would olny do only one end for either MPPK or MPPSK as more gains would have been acheived modding the intake, exhaust and tune. I guess they may be trying to keep the power/torque at a certain level for this engine for whatever reason.

$0.02
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2017, 12:21 AM   #54
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybm View Post
I'm not sure why BMW would olny do only one end for either MPPK or MPPSK as more gains would have been acheived modding the intake, exhaust and tune. I guess they may be trying to keep the power/torque at a certain level for this engine for whatever reason.

$0.02
BMW said that the B58 intake was already pretty efficient and that they didn't see as much of a gain from doing the intake and tune like for the N55 on the B58. Better gains doing exhaust and tune.
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2017, 02:08 AM   #55
Gitte
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i M Sport

MPPSK

M Performance
power - tune
sound - exhaust
Kit

Tune adds to sound as much as exhaust adds to power, pretty much negligible.
Appreciate 2
      03-19-2017, 04:38 AM   #56
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybm View Post
The F series N55 AND B58 intakes are extremely good from stock. People only replace them to rice up their engine bay and get ricey sounds.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 06:35 PM   #57
Kennybar112
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Garage List
I need to pick one of these upgrades along with an exhaust. Stock B58 is so quite, at least 15-20% quieter then my old N54 335i...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #58
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennybar112 View Post
I need to pick one of these upgrades along with an exhaust. Stock B58 is so quite, at least 15-20% quieter then my old N54 335i...
Do you really want the smokies to hear you comin from a mile away?
Sometimes stealth is a virtue
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #59
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Yes, I have to say, I just don't understand the adoration of the loud sedan. I prefer my power stealth style.
Appreciate 0