E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > After market Sub and Amp Disaster

05-01-2006, 01:44 PM   #45
smellygas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 325i (very soon)

I agree with Tierfreund here. The segment of power wire that runs from the battery terminal to the circuit breaker is way too long. It has nothing to do with where you mounted your amp. If that length of wire were to be compromised for ANY reason (i.e. wear and tear, car accident, something wiggles out, etc.) a short circuit could easily start a fire. The circuit breaker or fuse should be mounted as close as absolutely possible to the battery terminal. ...but whatever. It's a small risk to take, with huge consequences.

SmellyGas
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #46
knonenone11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro
i suggest doing a search and buying a JL amp or other amp that has this option.

if that was in reference to me, I have a JL 500.1 already...

It just looks like there are a ton of ways to install this system....including mounting the amp under the carpet piece, which seems to me as being not smart regarding the total lack of ventilation

kev
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 10:35 PM   #47
golfpro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

well kev, its up to you man, are you looking for a place to hide an amp or just a place to put it? are you going to have a custom box built for the rear with 2 subs or just use 2 subs? if so, that really limits your places to put an amp. if I were you i would just mount it to the box on one of the sides, thats just me (i hafta fit golf clubs 1 sometimes 2 bags in my trunk), i think it looks just as clean. some amps have fans in them and therefore can be put under stuff, but IMO i still dont think thats the greatest idea. (looks good but not too safe). good luck
Appreciate 0